View Single Post
Old 01-18-2024, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
That's actually my biggest criticism of the band between '97-'15. The Rumours, Tusk, and Mirage tours all had a distinct sound to them which is great. Lindsey's guitar tone has largely been unchanged since '97. It would have been nice if they had spent a bit more time trying to brush the dust off of the same arrangement for Dreams they've been using since '97 etc.

I was listening to Sisters Of The Moon from the 2014 tour and it really stood out to me how diminished Lindsey's guitar parts are. He's just strumming chords for 90% of the song. That amazing guitar solo from '79-'82 was entirely absent. Everyone knew Stevie wasn't going to be able to have the same vocal intensity she did 40 years ago, all the more reason to boost the song with all of the amazing guitar work that used to be there. The 2014 version never made sense to me. IMO, the biggest disappointment of any of their songs that have made a return to the set after decades of absence.

The same thing applies to Rhiannon. It's like they forgot all about that amazing solo that came after the "dreams unwind" segment of the song.

I always wondered if there was some sort of comment made about Lindsey's guitar overshadowing her songs/performances.
Yes, the Mac gave up their arena rock in the Dance days forward for a much more "like the record" approach to their live stuff. Personally I love it when they rock out. But I think I am in the minority on this board. Those Lindsey parts at the end of the Chain and Sisters really were something. Although I'm So Afraid and GYOW still have those rock endings. Lindsey's guitar licks on YMLF were insane live. But even those got tamer The Dance and post Dance. When Over My Head finally went back in the set, they went with the album version and abandoned their more upbeat live version.