Thread: 1973
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I know alot of people talk about 1975 and 1977 being big years in Fleetwood Mac's history, but to me 1973 is a big year also. I mean they released 2 albums and had the Fake Fleetwood Mac thing hit at the end of the year. I was wondering, how did they manage to record two albums in the span of 6 months. If memory serves me right, Penguin was released in april or so and Mystery to me was in September. ANd also I believe Bare Trees was releaed in September of the previous year, so they were really crankin out the music in that years time. Just like to get peoples thoughts. Thank you.
I agree, David, 1973 was a big year for Fleetwood Mac, and could have been even bigger if the band hadn't semi-imploded and the tour been cancelled. Mystery to Me was really gaining momentum, and if they'd kept touring behind it and promoting it, it might have been a really big album.

As for the fast-paced recording, that was just the norm for the band in those days. I bet if you had told Chris, Mick and John in 1973 that five years later they'd be spending more than a year and more than a million recording a new Fleetwood Mac album, they'd have laughed in your face. They were a struggling band going through a lot of line-up changes. They needed to get new product out there to promote whatever the latest incarnation of the band was. Bare Trees was recorded in just two weeks, I think, although I don't recall if that was the first sessions or the second, after the master reels were lost/stolen.