View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Country Joe did a fund raiser for a club i am in, this past summer to help us maintain a Hudson River Sloop called the "Woody Guthrie". He may be banged about from the 60's but still has his wits about him and was a great show and is a good CD. The Fish were bigger than the DEad and Jefferson Airplane for a time.
Not sure if they were ever bigger than the Dead or Airplane (you think?) but McDonald did have a nice little run there for a while. Not sure if you knew this, but he was sued for copyright infringement over his signature Fixing-To-Die-Rag anthem a few years back by Kid Ory's daughter, she claiming the chorus refrain was a ripoff of Muskrat Ramble, Ory's old Dixieland jazz standard. At the end of the day, the court didn't see it that way, awarding McDonald some $750,000 for attorney's fees and costs, after finding the complaint "objectively unreasonable." The decision was later upheld upon appeal, forcing Ory's daughter to sell the same very copyrights to fulfill the debt! Sweet justice over but another frivolous lawsuit and money grab? You tell me.

Though the Fish were an early example of psychedelic rock, it was often a case of acid rock gone wrong. With the exception of a few memorable tunes and blues licks, most of their stuff was too far out in left field, and fairly blasé and forgettable into the bargain (imo). On MacDonald's Superstitious Blues solo project, Jerry Garcia does make a guest appearance on the guitar on some of the tracks which is worth noting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Moz, Keep going with the timeline! Don't let our frequent two cents and comments for revision deter you! I want to see more
Yes, but those points of debate and "detours" often make for the best discussion, no?

To add to the din, onward Moz!