View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
Right, but now you're proving me right. Induction doesn't stem around making hits alone, and Garcia (as loyal a cat as there is in the biz) proves the hall directors will acquiesce to group demands. So why didn't the Big 5 take the high road on the issue? Could it be they didn't care? You tell me.
Hmmm...You seem to know how to cherry pick, too. My two opening sentences said it all: There's no formula as to who is inducted. Bands don't always have a say as to who is included. I don't know that Fleetwood Mac had as much say as you think they had.

Quote:
"Odd" is an understatement. That's also a rather selective and rose rimmed view on your part, as the Mac were much more than just that.
But, that's their legacy on popular culture. While FG and MTM had an amazing impact on me personally, I can't say that it had a major impact on popular culture. That's reality.

Quote:
I have my doubts that some of those Green hits would have gone "over the top" without Danny's key contributions to them (just my opinion). But any way you look at it, Peter really got in the groove once Kirwan appeared.
Peter was ready to move away from the blues and on to bigger things. Jeremy was happy being the mimick, so they needed a foil. That's where Danny came in. That it was Danny is honestly inconsequential. Yes, he was brilliant and became one of the most important members in the history of the band, the vision was still Peter's on those songs.

Quote:
And that's the crime. It isn't "odd", his exclusion was premeditated - and petty to the max. That makes it worse.
See, I don't know how much of that list was the band's decision and how much is the Hall's decision. I could just as easily see two or three higher-ups coming up with that list as I could the band. However, I don't know. The Hall has bent over backwards for some bands, but not others. (EDIT: i.e. was it a couple of suits that said "well, this is who we're going to induct from Fleetwood Mac, and if they don't like it, they're out" OR was it the band say "eh, f*ck those guys?" That Mick has maintained relationships with Bob Welch, Billy, and Rick, it looks to me like it was more the Hall's decision than the band's.)

In any event, I wouldn't be upset about it. The fact Madonna is in and Gram Parsons, Clarence White, Randy Bachman, Rush, Kiss, Yes, and Genesis to name but a few are not tells me all I need to know about that "institution."

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 12-15-2008 at 06:54 PM..