View Single Post
Old 10-19-2023, 11:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
There are lots of fights in bands. Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, and Van Halen all have had huge fights and fired key members while other members just got up and quit. The band Styx's drama makes Fleetwood Mac look like a walk in the park. Similar to Fleetwood Mac, the band Styx had 3 writers and singers in the band. Styx ruled 1981 with their concept album Paradise Theater. Songs like The Best of Times and Too Much Time on My Hands ruled the charts while the album went to #1. The concept album was the idea of Dennis DeYoung who was considered the main singer of the band. He also played keyboards. The album was so successful that the following album was another concept album "Kilroy Was Here." The album went to #3 and produced 2 top 10 singles and went platinum. However it sold considerably less than what their previous albums sold. Band members especially Tommy Shaw started to question DeYoung for wanting to play ballads and more keyboard orientated songs. The band started their Kilroy Was Here in tiny theaters to give fans an intimate setting for their theater performances. Kilroy Was Here was a concept based on a classic book and movie where music was banned and freedom and was an anti-fascist statement. But this is where the wheels started coming off. Styx was forced to start playing large arenas on the tour and took part of a Monsters of Rock stadium show where the band was booed because of their theme robot opening. Guitarist Tommy Shaw said that he had to drink himself blind every night before taking the stage. Things got so bad that Tommy Shaw quit the band on stage one night.
Tommy Shaw joined Ted Nugents band Damn Yankees and each night on their tour Nugent would mock Dennis DeYoung and play the opening of Styx's ballad song Babe each night as a funny joke to Shaw. Shaw and DeYoung eventually ran into eachother and DeYoung put it to show how low he was to mock the work they did with Styx. Eventually DeYoung left the band and went solo. They had reunion tours in 1997. But then DeYoung could not perform for a bit because of an illness. Styx fired him and hired a replacement. DeYoung then sued the band. Lindsey also sued Fleetwood Mac. Today DeYoung wants one last Styx tour with the band but the band does not want him.

Fleetwood Mac also had 3 singers in the band. Lindsey took creative control of the band for Tusk. While Tusk had hit singles it lost a huge part of their audience. This was Tommy Shaw's beef with DeYoung. While Kilroy Was Here was a success, it cost them a huge fan base and were not being played on rock stations anymore. Fleetwood Mac also sort of suffered the same consequence from Tusk. Classic Rock stations only play Fleetwood Mac songs from the White Album and Rumours. DeYoung did leave the band and came back for a reunion but then got fired by the band. The same thing happened to Lindsey.
I have watched most Vh1's Behind the music and Styx was one of the best because of all the drama. The crazy part is that Styx is on tour and actually performing Mr Roboto as their first encore. This was the song that Shaw said killed the band. Oh the irony. In DeYoung's solo concerts he has his guitarist perform Shaw's Too Much Time On My Hands.
Anyway here are a few interviews with the band and DeYoung.
I wonder if Lindsey and Dennis understand each other in challenging audiences and fans. In Mick's book he wrote how frustrated Lindsey would get some nights on the Tusk tour with front row fans shouting at Lindsey that the band had sold out. Dennis went though a similar experience. Like Tusk, Kilroy Was Here charted in the top 5 and had 2 successful singles in the top 10. Yet it did not go to #1 like its predecessor and sold considerably less. The arrows came out. Like Lindsey, Dennis's replacement is singing his songs on stage especially the ones that Shaw and the others said killed the band. And just like Fleetwood Mac, they go on like nothing happened.

Styx bandmates talk about DeYoung and how they dont want him back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTfl...o9eUVw&index=2

DeYoung talks about the excuses the band uses to keep him out of the band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax2Y...o9eUVw&index=3

Dennis DeYoung in recent solo concert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoEs...o9eUVw&index=1
Ironically, 2 of my top 5 all time favorite bands. No matter what anyone thinks, DDY would catapult the band into larger venues being sold out at least for a while. Styx currently puts on an excellent show. I saw them during the Summer and had a blast. But DDY would have made it a dream come true for me.
I won’t even discuss attending a Fleetwood Mac concert without Lindsey Buckingham. I’d never support that. I’ve seen Lindsey solo twice and it was great. Now with Christine McVie gone, it wouldn’t matter anyway.