User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
I must say that I am really enjoying the remix of Soul Drifter, having not been previously familiar with it. This mix brings to front some different parts of the song that had been buried.

The keyboards get pushed reveal a synth string pad from the late 80's or early 90s. Could be from the Fairlight II, but sounds a little more like a Roland or Yamaha patch from that time.

The bass part which shares some lineage with Hall & Oates' "I Can't Go for That" has been mixed further up and gives the song a more prominent groove.

The layers of percussion tracks get a little more simplified giving more prominence to the programmed snare and then the weaves of live and machine percussion come in an out with less obvious markings.

Some of the plucked sounds from the collection of stringed instrument tracks become less dominant, and the music box twinkling guitar sound gets to stand alone in distinct parts.

I adore the original version of Soul Drifter, but having recently discovered this alternate version, I am getting to hear the song in a new way that is pleasing me greatly.
The alternate mix of "Soul Drifter" is easily the best addition of the box set. Unlike the original, which has a far peppier percussion track, this one is more conventional. The bed of synth strings is also pleasing.

I wish that the soft mix of "Countdown" was also included in addition to some demos or unreleased material, but I'm glad that we got a few more songs that are now commercially available.