Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Summer movies?

I know we've had threads about them all, but any opinions about our summer blockbusters as of yet?

Anyone see the awesomeness that is The Bourne Supremacy? The suckitude of The Village? The munchiness of Harold & Kumar? The will-cause-vomit-to-rise-in-your-throatness of crap like Chronicles of Riddick? Spider-Man?? Even Napoleon Dynamite?? (which made me want to chew off my ankle and eat it?)

I've really dug Spider-Man, Bourne Supremacy, and the Door in the Floor... but I think I've SEEN everything else!
Old 08-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked Spiderman.

All of a sudden it seems there are a few movies out that are worth seeing. First time in awhile.

- Jake
Old 08-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved Bourne Supremacy, Manchurian Candidate (I thought it was gonna suck badly), Stepford Wives, Door In the Floor, and Fahrenheit 9/11.

Shyamalan's movies all suck, so the Village won't be any different. I won't see it.

Old 08-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have only seen two movies this summer - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and Eternal Sunshine - which I think is a bit older...

Movies are super expensive here and I'm trying to save money so I haven't seen any movies in DC...
Old 08-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really enjoyed the Stepford Wives. I thought both Anchorman and Dodgeball were funny and good, mindless entertainment. I also saw Spiderman 2 and was disappointed.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I was thinking about Catwoman - Inexplicably, it got a good review in the SF chronicle, a bad review from Ebert & Roper. I still might see it cause i like catwomen in general, i want to see the outfits bad, and I like Sharon Stone in "B" movie performances, which is what most of her performances turn into by virtue of it being her. I also like jumping and flips, and did i mention outfits?
Anyone seen it?
Want to see Bourne, Stepford, and Garden State
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Shyamalan's movies all suck, so the Village won't be any different.
Must you be wrong about everything?
Old 08-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I really enjoyed the Stepford Wives. I thought both Anchorman and Dodgeball were funny and good, mindless entertainment. I also saw Spiderman 2 and was disappointed.
I heard good things about Dodgeball.

- Jake
Old 08-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Must you be wrong about everything?

All of his movies are exercises in pretentiousness and ego-stroking. The Sixth Sense was lifelessly dull and the ending was more self-congratulatory than satisfying. Signs was ruined because he showed the aliens (which took away ALL of the suspense and sense of dread), the ending was utter ****, and the sub-plot about Gibson's dead wife was irritating. Unbreakable was...unwatchable.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

All of his movies are exercises in pretentiousness and ego-stroking. The Sixth Sense was lifelessly dull and the ending was more self-congratulatory than satisfying. Signs was ruined because he showed the aliens (which took away ALL of the suspense and sense of dread), the ending was utter ****, and the sub-plot about Gibson's dead wife was irritating. Unbreakable was...unwatchable.
So I take it you're not looking forward to the third installment of the Bruce Willis trilogy.

I really enjoy Shymalan's work. I admit to being a little disappointed with Signs, but still liked it. The critics seem to agree with you, though.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I liked Sixth Sense. Unbreakable was poor. Signs was terrible. The trailer was far better than the film.

- Jake
Old 08-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't seen many movies this summer because i've been in summer school and working. BUT I did see "Anchorman" last weekend and I thought it was one of the dumbest movies I'd ever seen.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked Unbreakable but hated Sixth Sense & Signs!

I loved Spider-Man II. I liked Stepford Wives well enough. The Bourne Supremacy was GREAT. I liked Anchorman okay, but wanted to love it. I really loved what Cuaron did with Harry Potter- but wow!- I've almost completely forgotten about it.

I'm looking forward to seeing The Manchurian Candidate, Garden State (we just put out the soundtrack- it's great!), and Collateral this weekend.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dodgeball was fun, too, but not as fun as I wanted it to be- much like Anchorman. I do have a natural response of giggling anytime I see anyone get smacked in the balls, too. I did like the cameos in Anchorman, and I appreciated what they were trying to do with stuff like the turf war/gang fight, but- eh. I think I only really laughed my butt off when they were just riffing- like the exchange between him & Christina Applegate in the film and in the credits.

I think I've seen almost everything this summer. I even saw The Notebook!!
Old 08-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To be honest, the last movie I saw in the theater that SUCKED was Secret Window. That was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaad movie in every sense of the word. If Johnny Depp can't even save it, you know you're in trouble.

I just saw The Human Stain with Kidman and Hopkins and really enjoyed it. It wasn't as awe-inspiring as the book, but it was great. I'd recommend it to anyone for a rental.