Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New article and interview from AP

NEW YORK (AP) — Stevie Nicks is trying to whittle down the set list for her upcoming solo tour, but one song that definitely made the cut is her 1983 hit “Stand Back” with Prince. Originally written as a compliment, now it will be a tribute.
The Fleetwood Mac singer, who heard Prince’s “Little Red Corvette” on her car radio and loved it so much she decided to write an answer song, hasn’t played “Stand Back” since Prince died in April. “I will be singing it for the first time without Prince being on the planet,” she said. “That is going to be horrible, but it doesn’t mean that I don’t want to pay homage to my ‘Little Red Corvette’ friend. I’ll sing it forever for him now.”

Nicks’ two-month tour with The Pretenders kicks off Oct. 25 in support of her 2014 album, “24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault.” She never got a chance to promote the CD since she spent most of the last three years on the road with Fleetwood Mac. Nicks promises songs from “24 Karat Gold” as well as old favorites like “Dreams,” “If Anyone Falls,” “New Orleans,” “Bella Donna,” “Rooms on Fire” and “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around.”
“Stand Back” will be there, fueled by the memory of her having lured Prince into the recording studio to play keyboards on the song he inspired. She said one of her deepest regrets is never getting him to join her onstage for a live version.
Though Nicks and Prince were friends, the two didn’t hang out much. One thing they disagreed on was drug use. “He hated them. And he hated that I did drugs and that’s probably why we didn’t hang out more,” she said. “He was worried that I would die of an accidental drug overdose and my sadness is that he did die of an accidental drug overdose. He’s up there looking down, saying to me, 'Sweetie, I can’t believe it happened either.’"

Nicks has no current record deal — ”I’m free to do whatever I want“ — after delivering "24 Karat Gold” to Warner Bros. It’s an album of orphan songs, demos mostly written between 1969-1987.
“These were written during the days when everybody was pretty high and crazy and there was a lot of love affairs going on and a lot of breakups going on and just a lot of emotion going on,” she said. The 68-year-old singer-songwriter said that there were many reasons why the songs never got on any of her albums or those by Fleetwood Mac. In some cases, she didn’t like the arrangements and pulled them. Or they came out soulless.
So in 2014, she and producers Dave Stewart and Waddy Wachtel went to Nashville, Tennessee, and re-recorded the songs in a matter of weeks. When they were finished, she put one CD in a gold box, wrapped it in a red bow and delivered it to the front desk of Warner Bros. Then she rejoined the Fleetwood Mac reunion tour.

Now she’s getting ready to hit the road again, one of the few legendary acts like the Rolling Stones or Bruce Springsteen to be able to deliver a three- or four-hour set because they never stopped making music. “I am very aware that artists over 50 don’t — and are never going to — sell a lot of albums any more. It took me years to accept that,” she said. “Now we can just pretend we’re like 15 and start over and make records just because we want to.”

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...US-9219322.php

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Ledgie

Could she possibly be performing "Rooms on Fire" during this tour? I'm not sure what to make of all these wild setlist ideas her and her people are throwing into the media. It is going to be very disappointing now if they fall back to the same old standard set, with the addition of "The Dealer" and "Mabel Normand."
Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bella Donna, New Orleans, and Rooms on Fire would definitely spice her set up, I think.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Bella Donna, New Orleans, and Rooms on Fire would definitely spice her set up, I think.
She needs to put Talk to Me back in. Bella Donna is too slow and long. I'm having a hard time imagining it live. Same with New Orleans. She should play In Your Dreams instead.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 09-13-2016, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Should we differentiate "old songs like" from "old songs including"?

Kevin
Old 09-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't wait for New Orleans because it hasn't ever been done except for one time but I agree about Bella Donne and would prefer TISL or Wild Heart as title tracks live. Rooms On Fire would be nice too along with Talk To Me, Whole Lotta Trouble and those seldom done anymore. Even Stop Draggin' My Heart Around was done on the TISL tour.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The rampant ageism and sexism in the music industry is appalling.

On the plus side, I would love if Stevie could channel the lack of mainstream expectations into delivering an amazing show and more creative even if not marketable albums in the future. I like that she acknowledges that her celebrity and wealth grant her the freedom to pretty much do whatever she wants now. I'd love to see her pull a Beyonce or Kanye West and just make an amazing album with her ideal collaborators because she can. That would be amazing.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The problem is that the regular concert goers wants to hear hits and us true fans wants to hear everything else that are not hits.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
The problem is that the regular concert goers wants to hear hits and us true fans wants to hear everything else that are not hits.
Who cares? They will already have their tickets bought. She can sing what she wants.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
She needs to put Talk to Me back in. Bella Donna is too slow and long. I'm having a hard time imagining it live. Same with New Orleans. She should play In Your Dreams instead.
I would love it if she did Talk to Me AND I Can't Wait. As far as Bella Donna, I agree it's slow, but so is Outside the Rain on record, but live she turns it into more of a rock song. I suspect she would do the same with Bella Donna.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope she does Trouble in Shangri la. That was the best song from that album.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Please, not New Orleans. I know it was her tribute to a horrible time in history, but the Ann Rice references are trite. Choose something better from IYD! Annabelle Lee, FWIW, Moonlight, You May Be The One, Wide Sargasso Sea. ANYTHING ELSE!
I'm happy with Bella Donna, The Wild Heart, TISL. Planets of the Universe would be great. Sister Honey would blow our doors off!
Old 09-13-2016, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw Stevie during the Shangri-La tour and I could swear she led off with a shortened version of the song. Am I not remembering correctly?

Of all her title tracks, I think she should skip Rock a Little, Alice (Other Side of the Mirror), and Street Angel. RAL would be way to slow and quiet live.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

During the TISL tour before she came out they played bootylicious followed by a pre recorded acapella verse from TISL.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
I think In Your Dreams would be a good encore song. Or an opener.