Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: The Come Guitar Solo... Studio or Live
I like the studio version better. 13 43.33%
I like the live version better. 17 56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Come Guitar Solo... Studio or Live

I was just listening to this today and wondered what everyone else was thinking. Which solo do you like better?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well as much as I adore the studioversion, it is so overproduced that it sometimes simply doesn't sound as a guitar anymore. At least that ptoblem doesn't occur live, so I voted forthat one. And on some occasions, the industrial sounding hardcore noise he produces live, rocks my world BIGTIME.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I can't isolate my general opinion of the song to just the guitar solo, but I'd say that while the studio version does nothing for me, the live version is inspiring, as much due to Lindsey's prowess as to the audience response to it.

When the song begins, they attend with mild interest, but as the song swells in intensity, the crowd response grows more focused and enthralled. You can actually feel the pendulum sway, the rise in appreciation. The build in momentum really makes it a special moment in the show. So, that's why I say live.

Michele
Old 11-28-2008, 03:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The live-version sounds awfully familiar *has been listening to I'm So Afraid from the SYW-tour*

I'm gonna make a thread of LB's songs in which he plays perfectly in the context of the song, and songs in which he plays an "unsual" solo, not the ISA-varations
Old 11-29-2008, 02:49 AM
Ledgie

The live version from SYW in Boston is amazing! Then again, I really like So Afraid live, too.

The studio version is pretty nifty, too, but I still think the live version is superior to the studio version!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I like the studio version. Sometimes I feel the lie one drags on a little bit.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb

I think y'all know what my answer will be. LOL

Live always. Lindsey's songs are a different animal when he does them live. The only song I prefer on the album versus live...GYOW. I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks that though. Heh. I love that he lets the audience "play" his guitar, but the Rumours version is perfection.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post

Live always. Lindsey's songs are a different animal when he does them live. The only song I prefer on the album versus live...GYOW. I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks that though. Heh. I love that he lets the audience "play" his guitar, but the Rumours version is perfection.
I agree with you there on GYOW, but usually I like the studio version of everything better. I really like the way he does things in the studio.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm torn between my favourite GYOW solo. The orginal fits the song so well, but the one on the 1980 live album is very good too, except for that crappy guitar tone he used on the entire Tusk and Mirage tours, sounds like his guitar is deflating or something
Old 12-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love the absolute blistering, searing nature of the studio version. It's something wholly new and different... I'd never heard anything quite like it when it came out.

On the other hand the live version sounds to me like a mildly reworked version of the live I'm So Afraid solo. It says to me he can't reproduce the original solo live, which is understandable... but disappointing.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I love the absolute blistering, searing nature of the studio version. It's something wholly new and different... I'd never heard anything quite like it when it came out.

On the other hand the live version sounds to me like a mildly reworked version of the live I'm So Afraid solo. It says to me he can't reproduce the original solo live, which is understandable... but disappointing.
I completely agree with you, I just love how original and amazing it is.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I suppose it's original in terms of FM but it's nothing a Heavy Metal fan won't have heard a million times before. Now, Murrow's solo screamed originality at me the first I heard it and I still don't hear how it's a reworking of ISA/Tango.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I suppose it's original in terms of FM but it's nothing a Heavy Metal fan won't have heard a million times before. Now, Murrow's solo screamed originality at me the first I heard it and I still don't hear how it's a reworking of ISA/Tango.
Yeah, I don't hear too much of ISA in Murrow, maybe a bit of Tango, but that is still original too.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoS View Post
I agree with you there on GYOW, but usually I like the studio version of everything better. I really like the way he does things in the studio.
GYOW: well, I like the studio version of the SONG better than any live version I've heard...but it's really a misnomer to call the studio version's end guitar parts "a solo", since it's a mix of about 10 parts that Ken blended together to get what we hear as "the studio version solo".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
Now, Murrow's solo screamed originality at me the first I heard it and I still don't hear how it's a reworking of ISA/Tango.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoS View Post
Yeah, I don't hear too much of ISA in Murrow, maybe a bit of Tango, but that is still original too.
Whew! Time to get the earwax removal kit out. It's as obvious as the similarity between "I'm So Afraid" & "Tango"...it's just part 3 of the trilogy. (and, all three of those are just periodic updates of his "Frozen Love" solo)

As far as "Come"...I don't like either "solo"...that part just goes nowhere...to me both studio and live, it's just overly distorted noise...he might as well have just revved a chain saw instead.

My favorite Lindsey "solo" (studio, that is) is the killer lead he did in Christine's "Isn't It Midnight". He has never topped that, before or since.

Last edited by chiliD; 12-02-2008 at 07:20 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
My favorite Lindsey "solo" (studio, that is) is the killer lead he did in Christine's "Isn't It Midnight". He has never topped that, before or since.
The last 56 seconds of that song are REALLY fun to play.