Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Says New Album is Completed

By Dean Goodman, April 12, 2011 Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...ertainmentNews
Lindsey Buckingham gearing up for new album, tour

(Reuters) - Fleetwood Mac frontman Lindsey Buckingham has finished work on his third solo album in six years, a project he expects to release in September and promote with a tour.

The album, "Seeds We Sow," will also be his first outside the Warner Bros. family. Buckingham told Reuters that he was unhappy with its handling of his solo projects, and he was now considering teaming up with a new label or going the DIY route with an independent promotion team.

Fleetwood Mac is also a free agent after more than 40 years at Warner Bros., Buckingham said. The Anglo-American rock icons last released an album in 2003 and were the ninth biggest touring act in 2009 with U.S. ticket sales of $55 million, according to Pollstar.

Buckingham, 61, said Fleetwood Mac will continue to tour and record. Given classic-rock audiences' disdain for hearing new music in concert, he said he enjoys the creative challenge of giving old favorites a new sheen on stage.

Despite a busy family life, Buckingham has also been on a creative tear in his solo career, releasing albums in 2006 and 2008, and touring to promote both of them. Before then, he had not released a solo album since 1992's "Out of the Cradle."

Coincidentally, he said "Seeds We Sow" will be similar in tone to "Out of the Cradle," which received a rapturous critical response but was a relatively poor seller.

ANOTHER STONES COVER

The title track opens the album. "I don't think anyone's gonna take that for a radio song because it's just voice and acoustic guitar and there's a lot of that on the record," he said. "It runs the gamut. There's some lead playing, there's a little bit of everything on there."

As he did on 2006's "Under the Skin," he covers an obscure Rolling Stones song, this time "She Smiled Sweetly" from the band's 1967 album "Between the Buttons." He previously reworked their 1966 tune "I Am Waiting."

Buckingham said he was a fan of the Stones' experimental recordings with original leader Brian Jones, an ill-fated virtuoso with whom he shares a musical versatility.

He recorded "Seeds We Sow" at his home studio in Los Angeles, playing most of the instruments and mixing it himself while fulfilling his obligations as the married father of three preteens.

While there is no theme to the album, his late-in-life domesticity inevitably means songs "get filtered through looking at the world a little differently, perhaps a little more philosophically."

Buckingham will take a break from laying the groundwork for the album when he appears at the annual ASCAP "I Create Music" Expo for musicians and songwriters in Hollywood on April 29. His Q&A with pop singer Sara Bareilles will follow the presentation of the performing rights group's Golden Note Award for career achievement.

"Maybe I'll take a guitar and a little amp and do a little picking on stage," he said.

But he warned attendees not to ask him technical questions related to publishing and licensing. And maybe not to tax him too much with tips for songwriting.

"I don't really think of myself so much as a writer as a stylist, someone who came into writing from the back door and has found it through a certain very specific and personal means. It's all about what you do with the style. Hopefully I'll have something good to say. We'll see."

(Editing by Jill Serjeant)
Old 04-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ha - we posted at the same time in two different threads.

i'll delete mine.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
ha - we posted at the same time in two different threads.

i'll delete mine.
I started to put it in that thread too.

So, I gather Lindsey is looking for a label. Michele
Old 04-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you so much for catching this and sharing!

I'm excited to see we'll finally get an official release for "She Smiled Sweetly"... I always liked his recording of this! I am assuming, like the last 2 albums, that this will be the same recording as was done during the original Gift of Screws sessions.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd8382 View Post
Thank you so much for catching this and sharing!

I'm excited to see we'll finally get an official release for "She Smiled Sweetly"... I always liked his recording of this! I am assuming, like the last 2 albums, that this will be the same recording as was done during the original Gift of Screws sessions.

yeah i just read that part and thought that was great!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

With all the clamor over Stevie's new album, I was hoping for an update on Lindsey's. I adore all of his solo albums (I'm not sure I'm exactly in love with Go Insane...might have to give it another listen), especially these last two. Very anxious to hear this one.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I started to put it in that thread too.

So, I gather Lindsey is looking for a label. Michele
yeah, interesting that he's saying september, although not sure which label or no label yet.

and that FM is not on WB anymore either.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am SO happy that "She Smiled Sweetly" will be on this album. SO great to hear that this will be similar to OOTC. Awesome news, can't wait.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The album, "Seeds We Sow," will also be his first outside the Warner Bros. family. Buckingham told Reuters that he was unhappy with its handling of his solo projects, and he was now considering teaming up with a new label or going the DIY route with an independent promotion team.

Coincidentally, he said "Seeds We Sow" will be similar in tone to "Out of the Cradle," which received a rapturous critical response but was a relatively poor seller.
I guess he must've been signed to a multi-album deal with WB...he should've gone this "indy" route after they fumbled with Out Of The Cradle.

Quote:
Buckingham, 61, said Fleetwood Mac will continue to tour and record. Given classic-rock audiences' disdain for hearing new music in concert, he said he enjoys the creative challenge of giving old favorites a new sheen on stage.
Another case in point that Fleetwood Mac and its members have ZERO knowledge of what their fans really want. "Distain for hearing new music"? They really are clueless in respect to knowing their fans.

I wonder if we'll finally get the long-awaited (by me, anyway) studio version of "My Little Demon"?

Quote:
As he did on 2006's "Under the Skin," he covers an obscure Rolling Stones song, this time "She Smiled Sweetly" from the band's 1967 album "Between the Buttons." He previously reworked their 1966 tune "I Am Waiting."
And, I'm guessing that "Gotta Get Away" is being held for either his next album or the next Fleetwood Mac album. I suppose he doesn't want to put more than one Stones cover per album.

Quote:
Buckingham said he was a fan of the Stones' experimental recordings with original leader Brian Jones, an ill-fated virtuoso with whom he shares a musical versatility.
Well, thank God Lindsey has a swimming background...wouldn't want him copying Brian Jones' swimming pool techniques, too.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm thrilled to hear Lindsey will be touring behind this one, and he and Fleetwood Mac have left Warner Bros! I hope Fleetwood Mac stays far, far away from Warner Bros... they have been SO lackadaisical in promoting Lindsey's, Fleetwood Mac's, and Stevie's new albums the past 10 years. I hope Lindsey is right that FM will keep recording, too. I'm also thoroughly intrigued Lindsey compares his new album to Out Of The Cradle... I'm more excited than ever for this project!!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Another case in point that Fleetwood Mac and its members have ZERO knowledge of what their fans really want. "Distain for hearing new music"? They really are clueless in respect to knowing their fans.
see, i think "classic rock audience" is different than fans. classic rock audience wants to hear hits; may not necessarily be fans of specific classic rock band they want to see. fans however have heard hits many times before and want to hear something new. as a new fan, i wanna hear both

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
And, I'm guessing that "Gotta Get Away" is being held for either his next album or the next Fleetwood Mac album. I suppose he doesn't want to put more than one Stones cover per album.
that and she smiled sweetly are two of my favorite leftover RS covers he had. would love to have both, but i'm really happy we are getting she smiled sweetly.

i also still want deep dense! and wear you down.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Ledgie

Exciting stuff indeed cannot wait! Hopefully we will be hearing some clips in the coming months.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Since we'd gotten the UTS comparison in the past, to hear that it's similar to OOTC was a suprise to me too -- and a very welcome one. I'm excited.

Michele
Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Since we'd gotten the UTS comparison in the past, to hear that it's similar to OOTC was a suprise to me too -- and a very welcome one. I'm excited.
from descriptions in both interviews about the album, i'm thinking it will be more of a mix, somewhat like GoS/UTS hybrid.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rolling Stone blurb / digest

Digest: Lindsey Buckingham to Release New Album; Alicia Keys Reissues Her Debut
Also: Eminem and Elvis Costello headline Osheaga Festival; Odd Future launch club tour

By Matthew Perpetua
April 12, 2011 5:55 PM ET

Lindsey Buckingham Plans New Album and Tour
Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham has finished work on a new solo album titled Seeds We Sow. The singer plans to release the album in September, but has not committed to a label and says he is considering putting it out himself. Either way, Buckingham will tour in support of the record in the fall. [Reuters]

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...debut-20110412