Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default oasis, men of the world?

hi all. a diversion from current threads. here's a link to an interview with liam gallagher (and gem archer) of oasis. here liam professes that he wishes he had written 'man of the world'.

http://www.vh1.com/artists/interview...05/oasis.jhtml

i wouldn't have guessed that! but it is nice to see.

zero
Old 07-12-2005, 05:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice link, Zero!

I read somewhere that Noel Gallagher had played "Man Of The World" to Liam in their tour bus (this is several years ago). Liam asked "Who is that??" Noel told him that it was Fleetwood Mac, but Liam didn't believe him at first. He had only heard of the "ladies" Fleetwood Mac. But he absolutely loved the song.

Daniel
Old 07-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice to hear that Liam Gallagher likes the song.

What really wouldn't be nice to hear is Liam Gallagher singing the song
Old 07-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet

What really wouldn't be nice to hear is Liam Gallagher singing the song
bb, not an oasis fan, i guess. very funny in anycase. oasis could do it as an instrumental and you'd spared the vocals.

actually, as much as i love the music and the performance, i was never too fond of the words. i'd guess that pete feels the same recently since he did it as an instrumental with sg live and on 'destiny road'.

that reminds me to ask, those who have heard the live tapes of the '82-'84 jeff whitaker-led bands, was 'man of the world' an instrumental in those days?

zero
Old 07-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
that reminds me to ask, those who have heard the live tapes of the '82-'84 jeff whitaker-led bands, was 'man of the world' an instrumental in those days?

zero
No, in the 80s Peter did the song with vocal. Actually, they used to do a quite nice version of it, and there are some bootlegs with Peter singing good. Usually they did a longer version compared to the original studio recording, repeating verses and the middle eight.

Daniel
Old 07-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Oasis could do it as an instrumental, I'd allow that...

I recall Peter saying once that the words to MOTW were a bit silly, and he asked the interviewer, "Don't you laugh when you hear it?" I guess that's why the words were dropped. No idea just when it was decided to do the song without words. It is one of the favourites among some of his family though, I remember his niece saying it ws her favourite, and her Mum Linda also.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven
Nice link, Zero!

I read somewhere that Noel Gallagher had played "Man Of The World" to Liam in their tour bus (this is several years ago). Liam asked "Who is that??" Noel told him that it was Fleetwood Mac, but Liam didn't believe him at first. He had only heard of the "ladies" Fleetwood Mac. But he absolutely loved the song.

Daniel
I posted the quote (I have the interview with Noel when he said it on DVD) a while back in a thread...
Old 07-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I could imagine the Gallagher brothers wishing they had a tiny bit of
Peter's talent. Man of the world is a thousand times better than most
Oasis lyrics...
I think it's a great lyric, maybe Peter just couldn't relate to it after 30
years, it definitely feels like a song written by a young man.
I always get shivers when he sings "i just wish that i'd never been born".
Imagine any other international rock star at the height of his popularity singing that?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
I could imagine the Gallagher brothers wishing they had a tiny bit of
Peter's talent. Man of the world is a thousand times better than most
Oasis lyrics...
Agree with you there!!

I think it's a fantastic song, and I don't mind Peter doing it as an instrumental. And I think you're right that Peter might not identify himself that much with the lyrics these days.

Daniel
Old 07-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
...... I always get shivers when he sings "i just wish that i'd never been born". Imagine any other international rock star at the height of his popularity singing that?
it is a strange thing to say, especially considering what subsequently happened to peter. in hindsight mick fleetwood seems to have the same reaction to motw as you bb. on the otherhand, i've always thought that the lyrics to man of the world were not autobiographical, that they were just lyrics to a single, and that they were written before the onset of peter's crisis and decision to leave fleetwood mac. obviously, i have no real idea if that is true. if it's autobiographical then that changes everything...

i can think of examples of similar lyrics. lennon wrote 'i'm a loser' at the peak of his fame (1965). it was autobiographical. lennon also wrote 'yer blues' ('yes i'm lonely, want to die.... feel so suicidal even hate my rock and roll' ) in 1968.

barrett wrote 'i've been looking all over the place for a place for me but it ain't anywhere' in the autobiographical 'vegatable man' in 1968. there are probably other examples that you can think of.

i do love the music to man of the world- i think it is better than albatross. i like the lyric to 'oh well pt 1' much better but what do i know? pete doesn't like the music or the words to that one anymore!

as for oasis, i agree words are not their strength. i didn't like them at all until i found out that they were peter green fans.

zero
Old 09-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Junior Ledgie

I quite like the words, thinking of having it played at my funeral (hopefully in the long and distant future). I dont know when the words drifted away but I believe that in the PGSG years it was only played as an instrumental. Greeny just didnt like singing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
bb, not an oasis fan, i guess. very funny in anycase. oasis could do it as an instrumental and you'd spared the vocals.

actually, as much as i love the music and the performance, i was never too fond of the words. i'd guess that pete feels the same recently since he did it as an instrumental with sg live and on 'destiny road'.

zero
Old 09-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd never heard the song until reading Mick's autobiography. I was so touched by his description that I ran to the box set CDs to see if it was included. When I heard it for the first time I just sat there and cried. Who knows if the story is true but being a songwriter myself, I've poured my saddest moments into songs before so the idea of those words being true, even if were just for that moment when he wrote them, makes that the single saddest song I've ever heard. It's one of my favorites to this day.