The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM Crucial CD Collection (Business Day)

http://www.businessday.co.za/article....aspx?id=74949

Crucial CD Collection , July 6, 2009 Business Day
RICHARD HASLOP

TO BORROW a cliche from the strange and often confusing world of football-speak, the FLEETWOOD MAC career has truly been a game of two halves, albeit that the first lasted less than three years, while the second has carried on for more than three decades. There was also an especially long half-time break, during which the band seemed to wonder interminably about tactics and tactical substitutions. Sadly, having started like a house on fire, they became content to settle for a boring draw.

The early Fleetwood Mac was an exciting band, arguably the most exciting of the late ’60s British blues boom. Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie had been recent team-mates in John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers and slide guitarist Jeremy Spencer completed certainly the most successful outfit among a blueswailing throng that blues purists view with a jaundiced eye. But how else were teenagers who didn’t grow up in Chicago ever going to know about the real thing if bands like this hadn’t sucked us in by the sheer excitement and enthusiasm of their playing, and then steered us towards it?

It was guitarist Green that set Fleetwood Mac apart. In fact, it hardly overstates the position to suggest that his emergence justified the entire musical trend. His playing had touch and soul like no other, and his singing would break your heart if you gave it half a chance. But after two albums of wall-to-wall blues he needed to change gear, which he did by way of the dreamy instrumental classic, Albatross, and its successor, the achingly sad Man of the World. Remarkably, both were big hits, but Green, who was never one for the limelight, was already planning to share it around.

A third guitarist, teenager Danny Kirwan, had been drafted into the group and, for the third proper album, following different compilations released in the UK and US, Green and Kirwan occupied more or less equal writing, singing and playing space. Green’s share might have been even smaller had Spencer had any new songs to offer. But he didn’t, so his only contribution to the record may be a bit of piano on Oh Well, another huge hit single that was only added to later versions of the record. Entitled Then Play On and released in 1969, the album clearly represented a group in musical transition. There was still blues to be had, but it was less obviously indebted to the Mississippi masters and more the result of the musicians having steeped themselves in the mood of the music for the past several years. Kirwan, too, was just beginning to guide things in the direction of a softer rock approach that would prove so lucrative in his absence.

Modest though the scale of Green’s input may have been, Closing My Eyes, Show-Biz Blues and the raunchy Rattlesnake Shake are an impressive addition to anybody’s catalogue and, when you add Oh Well, there weren’t many who could compete. But it was to be Green’s last album with a band that was, by the end of the year, outselling the Beatles and the Stones put together, so they say.

Green’s mental breakdown is the stuff of rock ’n roll legend, as is Spencer’s defection to a religious cult and Kirwan’s descent into alcoholism and homelessness. It’s a wonder the band survived at all. Yet it did, to become one of the most successful ever. But, except for Fleetwood and McVie, those were different people, following a totally different musical game plan.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WOW!!! It's as if this man read my mind!! Although I would disagree with the "boring" comment. FM has been anything but boring in the years since Peter's departure.

The blues era of the original FM is why I was so thrilled with Mick's "Blues Band" venture over the last couple of years and why I'm so eagerly anticipating the next disc. I can't wait to see who he's gotten to collaborate with besides Rick Vito. Dare we get our hopes up for a Fleetwood/Green reunion? Spencer? Possibly even Kirwan? Some other blues giants like FM worked with on the "Blues Jam at Chess"?

Blues has always been the true heart of Fleetwood Mac. It peaked in here and there throughout the "Rumours" era, mainly on Christine's songs, but she was a blues girl from early on as well, so that's no surprise. That connection has been somewhat lost on the last cd and tour but has been only slightly resurrected with the addition of "Oh Well" on the current tour. Loud and raucous kudos to Mick and Rick for bringing the blues back to Fleetwood Mac, even if it is under another name.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There was also an especially long half-time break, during which the band seemed to wonder interminably about tactics and tactical substitutions.
What an insulting -- and horribly inaccurate -- way of describing the fabulous Bob Welch years.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if Mick would consider Christine for a guest vocal? The new recordings with Rick Vito have been very cool.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I wonder if Mick would consider Christine for a guest vocal? The new recordings with Rick Vito have been very cool.
I think it would be fantastic, but I honestly don't think Christine would do it. Don't know why, I just don't think she would.

"Blue Again!" has been in my car CD player since I got it. Absolutely love it and have turned several people on to it since and now they are waiting for the new disc also.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
"Blue Again!" has been in my car CD player since I got it. Absolutely love it and have turned several people on to it since and now they are waiting for the new disc also.
LOVE that CD!!
I've been turning people on to it as well!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustdrummer View Post
LOVE that CD!!
I've been turning people on to it as well!
Did you get the US or UK/Euro 2 disc version? I got the UK/Euro version and it has 4 instrumental tracks on it. 2 Peter Green covers and 2 Rick Vito originals. Absolutely love it!!!!!!