The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What do you do when you can't sleep?

It doesn't help that by nature I'm a nightbird, but my job calls for early rising. I don't get much sleep on weeknights, and for years I've counted on weekends to catch up on sleep. These days I'm usually out early on weekend mornings, but when I do try to sleep in, I can't sleep. I know they say to keep the same sleep schedule seven days a week, but that's not going to happen for me.
Anyway, when I wake up prematurely I'll go into the other room and read, or I'll even...clean. Neither puts me back to sleep, but at least I've got something to show for my time.
What do you do when you need to sleep but can't?
(And BTW, warm milk is going nowhere near these lips.)

- Jake
Old 05-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When I can't sleep but really really need to I usually take a nighttime allergy pill lol...

It's (fortunately) a rarity that I have problems sleeping though...

OTher than a pill..cause I don't really like to take chemical help in sleeping I will read or just lie there and let my mind wander.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
When I can't sleep but really really need to I usually take a nighttime allergy pill lol...

It's (fortunately) a rarity that I have problems sleeping though...

OTher than a pill..cause I don't really like to take chemical help in sleeping I will read or just lie there and let my mind wander.
Pills scare me. I take them only when I must, and often the reaction is delayed anyway.
When I let my mind wander, sleep is harder. Often my mind wanders to To-Do lists or worries.

- Jake
Old 05-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I listen to some slow music with the volume turned down. But it dosen't work for everybody
Old 05-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
Well, I listen to some slow music with the volume turned down. But it dosen't work for everybody
Any music will keep me awake, no question. I've had plenty of problems with roommates over this over the years.

- Jake
Old 05-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

umm geesh should I say this. Umm when I can't sleep I usually do something that um well... The Rattlesnake Shake.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 05-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

ingredients:

1. a nice joint.
2. a small glass of red wine.
3. a tv set to either national geographic, adventure 1, or the history channel.

a combination of those 3 factors guarentees you sleep within 30 minutes max. never fails, i know what i'm talking about.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2004, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
I started sleeping with ear plugs in my ears because I absolutely can't sleep with noise and I have the rudest neighbors ever...so that doesn't work for me either...

My ex-bf though, he had to have a low radio on all night or he couldn't sleep well....strange...

I try not to take pills too...but once in a great while...I just resort to that..mostly because I'm no used to having problems sleeping...so I know I'll only do it every now and again...I'm lucky I guess...I've known many an insomniac over the years, but have been fortunate enough to never know insomnia
Old 05-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

If I can't sleep, I usually bust out the portable CD player (Beth Gibbons/Portishead always works, but Dido has worked recently) and after a short while I'm out. I usually end up with the headphones off and wake up not remembering taking them off.

I used to do something that I read in my Health textbook in 6th grade to "help you relax." Lie on your back with your eyes closed. Think of a pleasant place, a field, the sea, whatever. Take deep breaths, making sure the exhale is a little longer than the inhale. That used to knock me out, but not so much anymore.

I've also found that I can't fall asleep unless I'm on my side. I'm weird.

And I don't think I answered the question.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
I started sleeping with ear plugs in my ears because I absolutely can't sleep with noise and I have the rudest neighbors ever...so that doesn't work for me either...

My ex-bf though, he had to have a low radio on all night or he couldn't sleep well....strange...

I try not to take pills too...but once in a great while...I just resort to that..mostly because I'm no used to having problems sleeping...so I know I'll only do it every now and again...I'm lucky I guess...I've known many an insomniac over the years, but have been fortunate enough to never know insomnia
I haven't used earplugs in awhile. I sleep on my stomach, so I'd probably knock one out anyway. And if there's any noise I can hear the discomfort won't be worth wearing them. And if they do work, I'll worry all night that I won't hear my alarm. I know, sad case here.

- Jake
Old 05-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is very rarely a problem for me, fortunately. However, my boyfriend has terrible problems with insomnia, and it can be really awful and taxing. If your problem is too much quiet, soft TV or radio can help, but I find you should definitely listen to something you are not familiar with. Don't watch a movie where you have every line memorized or listen to music you know every lyric to. It keeps your brain too active to fall asleep, IME. Also, it is recommended that you do not do anything else in your bedroom but sleep (well, with one exception ), especially stressful activities like paperwork, etc. This is because you want your brain to associate that room solely with relaxation. You should not get into bed until you are tired enough to go to sleep so that your brain also does not associate the bedroom with tossing and turning (even if this means nodding off on the couch and moving to bed later). Repeating a word or phrase over and over can help too. It might seem torturous, and there is a bit of a "panic phase" where it's just driving you crazy, but if you persist and get through it it can really work. Do not have loud colors in your bedroom, and if you are able to see your bedding with the lights off, it should not have a crazy pattern and should be a "cool" color. There are also natural supplements that really work. Melatonin is a natural chemical in your brain that triggers relaxation and sleep, so taking a supplement to provide what you may be lacking can work wonders. Other supplements to try are Valerian Root or Formula #16 by Ness (which is calcium and enzymes, and may only be available if prescribed by a Naturopath). Make sure they are quality brand and strength...herbs, etc do not yet have government guidelines, so any old idiot can sell any old crappy product. Look for Standardized products, and liquid-caps or powder-filled caps may be much more easily absorbed by the body than tablets (Melatonin is also often "chewable", which is fine). Most Fred Meyer stores even have a "health/natural" section now, with a knowledgeable employee working the section, so you don't even have to go anywhere "weird" to get the stuff. These all provide really natural-feeling sleep, but be careful to not abuse them even though they are natural. If you use a sleep remedy nightly, it is best to rotate what you are using every week or so because your body begins to get used to it. Also avoid caffiene altogether, if possible, or at least don't have it after 3pm or so (remember, chocolate and some pain relievers have caffiene too). Sugar can also be a major, major culprit. My boyfriend even has problems with Splenda. Try Xylitol or Stevia ( ) as sugar substitutes, and do not eat a carb-laden dinner.
Now that I've filled you with this absolute mountain of information, I will end by saying that you could just be a nightbird who is unfortunately stuck adhering to the ways of this evil world like the rest of us!
*Disclaimer: I am no kind of professional, I just believe wholeheartedly in natural medicine and have done a lot of reading and research about it. *

The aforementioned Rattlesnake Shake (and the female equivalent...I won't share any code expressions for it, out of respect for those who might be offended ), is the most natural wonder cure, of course. (But I know it's still taboo for some...)

Last edited by EveryHour; 05-18-2004 at 06:18 PM..
Old 05-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryHour
This is very rarely a problem for me, fortunately. However, my boyfriend has terrible problems with insomnia, and it can be really awful and taxing. If your problem is too much quiet, soft TV or radio can help, but I find you should definitely listen to something you are not familiar with. Don't watch a movie where you have every line memorized or listen to music you know every lyric to. It keeps your brain too active to fall asleep, IME. Also, it is recommended that you do not do anything else in your bedroom but sleep (well, with one exception ), especially stressful activities like paperwork, etc. This is because you want your brain to associate that room solely with relaxation. You should not get into bed until you are tired enough to go to sleep so that your brain also does not associate the bedroom with tossing and turning (even if this means nodding off on the couch and moving to bed later). Repeating a word or phrase over and over can help too. It might seem torturous, and there is a bit of a "panic phase" where it's just driving you crazy, but if you persist and get through it it can really work. Do not have loud colors in your bedroom, and if you are able to see your bedding with the lights off, it should not have a crazy pattern and should be a "cool" color. There are also natural supplements that really work. Melatonin is a natural chemical in your brain that triggers relaxation and sleep, so taking a supplement to provide what you may be lacking can work wonders. Other supplements to try are Valerian Root or Formula #16 by Ness (which is calcium and enzymes, and may only be available if prescribed by a Naturopath). Make sure they are quality brand and strength...herbs, etc do not yet have government guidelines, so any old idiot can sell any old crappy product. Look for Standardized products, and liquid-caps or powder-filled caps may be much more easily absorbed by the body than tablets (Melatonin is also often "chewable", which is fine). Most Fred Meyer stores even have a "health/natural" section now, with a knowledgeable employee working the section, so you don't even have to go anywhere "weird" to get the stuff. These all provide really natural-feeling sleep, but be careful to not abuse them even though they are natural. If you use a sleep remedy nightly, it is best to rotate what you are using every week or so because your body begins to get used to it. Also avoid caffiene altogether, if possible, or at least don't have it after 3pm or so (remember, chocolate and some pain relievers have caffiene too). Sugar can also be a major, major culprit. My boyfriend even has problems with Splenda. Try Xylitol or Stevia ( ) as sugar substitutes, and do not eat a carb-laden dinner.
Now that I've filled you with this absolute mountain of information, I will end by saying that you could just be a nightbird who is unfortunately stuck adhering to the ways of this evil world like the rest of us!
*Disclaimer: I am no kind of professional, I just believe wholeheartedly in natural medicine and have done a lot of reading and research about it. *

The aforementioned Rattlesnake Shake (and the female equivalent...I won't share any code expressions for it, out of respect for those who might be offended ), is the most natural wonder cure, of course. (But I know it's still taboo for some...)
Wow. It looks like you've thought about this a little already.

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
Wow. It looks like you've thought about this a little already.

- Jake
Ya think?! Sorry if I bored evryone to tears, but I hope someone finds it helpful! Doing even just one of the suggestions can help. I can't help it...I get passionate about helping people with natural methods.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryHour
Ya think?! Sorry if I bored evryone to tears, but I hope someone finds it helpful! Doing even just one of the suggestions can help. I can't help it...I get passionate about helping people with natural methods.
I'm not bored. I enjoy witnessing people's passions, so to speak.

- Jake
Old 05-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I'm not bored. I enjoy witnessing people's passions, so to speak.

- Jake
Oh, really? *raises eyebrow*

Someone suggested counting the jumping Stevie in your sig ( )...have you tried that yet?!