The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What if Lindsey and Stevie never joined the Mac?

Please let me make something clear: I do not want to see any angry arguments or personal attacks. This is a discussion, not an argument over opinions

Anyways, now that I got that disclaimer out of the way, let me get this out: nerdy as it may sound, I love pondering about what would've happened to a particular artist or band if something did or didn't happen and how it would've affected their history (for example, what would've happened to The Who if Keith Moon had never died? Or maybe what would have happened to Van Halen if their planned 1996 reunion with David Lee Roth had gone through?).

Anyways, I couldn't help but wonder what would've happened if Lindsey and Stevie had never joined the Mac? Here, we should try and look at what would've became of Lindsey and Stevie and what would've became of the Mac in this situation.

EDIT: Depending on how well this goes over, I might create future threads asking other What If questions

You can add me on Facebook

Last edited by MissLadyLoki; 12-27-2010 at 04:48 PM..
Old 12-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sure Mick would have spotted someone just as talented as Stevie and Lindsey, though they basically make Fleetwood Mac for me. I mean really, you have to say Mick has a good eye for talent in that case!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldn't be a member of this board
Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But, in all seriousness, I really think that they would have eventually found a guitarist, tried out the whole US thing, fail. Then ultimately return to England where they would have been a somewhat sucessful English band.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:50 PM
MissLadyLoki
This message has been deleted by MissLadyLoki.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I look at it from less of Lindsey and Stevie joining and more on what if Bob Welch hadn't left. If all the drama with Bob Weston having an affair with Mick's wife and the whole bogus Mac tour thing, Welch probably would have stayed longer. They might have added another member(singer and/or guitarist). Actually they should have done that already, but that's beside the point.

Mick heard I believe "Frozen Love" while checking out studios to record a new album when Welch was still in the band. If Mick hadn't stopped by that studio or if the guy would have played another song from someone else, Mick would not have "discovered" Lindsey.

Of course Lindsey said he and Stevie were a package deal (how sweet of him ). So if he would have said no thank you to Mick...
Old 12-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristochango View Post
I wouldn't be a member of this board
Great answer!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
Anyways, I couldn't help but wonder what would've happened if Lindsey and Stevie had never joined the Mac? Here, we should try and look at what would've became of Lindsey and Stevie and what would've became of the Mac in this situation.
Stevie & Lindsey would have split up--they were splitting up when they joined the band--& she would have moved back in with her mom & dad & probably gone back to school or gotten a teaching certificate (her folks would have required her to do so). She'd have spent her recreational time (& there's a lot of that when you are getting your teaching certificate) writing songs & singing, as she always had done. Maybe she'd have joined another band affiliated with the university.

Lindsey would have continued taking session jobs in the studio & on the road for various & sundry, & probably would have made his way into production or engineering (where his true interests lay).

Fleetwood Mac would have continued searching for a lead guitarist. Welch wanted to leave before Buckingham was introduced to Fleetwood. Either they would have found an American guitarist & recorded whatever style that guitarist was inclined to & best at, or they would have moved back to England (despite their intensely negative feelings toward the outrageously high tax situation) & dug up a Brit to play lead guitar.

There's have been no Grammys, no American Music Awards, no sold-out world tours, & no exuberant & influential pop rococo--although Buckingham might have found himself at some point producing along those lines, bringing a newfound modern sensibility to the legacy of Scotty Moore, Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, the Kingston Trio, & Brian Wilson--wherein the orchestral pieces such as the guitar parts all play subservient roles to the track as a whole, creating a panoply of musical color palettes & emotional moods.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If they hadn't joined...somehow, I would've found my way into the band....and talked Welch into coming back, too.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think they'd still be together if they hadn't joined.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Good answers here. The purpose of this thread was just to wonder if something major in the band's history had gone down differently, which can happen with any band, and it's just interesting to see what people think what might have gone down. Also, it just goes to show you guys exactly how much of a history nerd I am

As for my thought on what would've gone down with Lindsey and Stevie, BN 2 probably would have been very good, but like it's predecessor, it probably would've not gotten anywhere, they would've had a following in Bama similar to Bob Seger's following in Detroit before he released Night Moves. As for their relationship, it's very hard to say whether or not they would've stayed together, but like David said, Stevie would've probably just continued writing songs on the side and Lindsey would've gone on to become a producer (and who knows, he could easily run into the Mac)

You can add me on Facebook
Old 12-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If Stevie and Lindsay never joined Fleetwood Mac, I don't think FM would have been nearly as popular. They would have had their normal following but I don't see them as breaking through. I think BN II would have done well. Remember the songs for that - Landslide, Rhiannon, I'm So Afraid, Sorcerer and Monday Morning. It might have taken some time but hey - so did the White Album. Took 54 weeks or so to climb to number 1.

Then the issue is if BN II did well and Lindsay and Stevie broke up, I think it would have been over. I am not sure they stay together without the forces of FM.

Which brings us to Stevie's solo career. She would have had some success but let's face it, she rocked the world with Bella Donna and that was largely because of who she was in a very popular FM.

So let's not think about what would have happened if they did not join. I don't think there would be anything to discuss!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

then christine would be on her own and would have had the band to her self lol!

SuperFleetwood
www.youtube.com/SuperFleetwoodMac (Watch Rare HQ Fleetwood Mac Videos) And youtube.com/thesuperfleetwood
Old 12-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that both Fleetwood Mac and Stevie & Lindsey would have had moderate success.

It was the chemistry of the five people who made Rumours that made it so special.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Gail