Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Most Romantic Movie Moments

I just rented Something's Got To Give & am so impressed by Diane Keaton. (Actually, I haven't finished watching it yet. I rented four movies since I've been stuck inside from oral surgery last week & lots of meds.) Anyway, this film, the drugs, and dissention's many fetching references to Lynne Cheney's romantic prose ( ) have me wondering, what are your favorite romantic movie scenes?

- Jake
Old 07-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Diane Keaton was absolutely stunning in Something's Gotta Give- wasn't a fan of the film itself particularly, but she was stunning.

I'm a SUCKER for romantic movies, especially cheesy terrible ones. A few off the top of my head that I loooove-

-Bridget Jones. I must confess that I love watching her run after him in her undies in the snow. And that's a fabulous movie kiss.
-Speaking of Colin Firth. Pride & Prejudice. Anything with him smoldering. Swoon.
-Lost in Translation. I consider the final scene between Bill & Scarlett to be one of the most romantic, beautiful things I've ever seen on film.
-Return to Me w/ David Duchovny & Minnie Driver. No particular moment or scene. I just think it's a wonderful, funny, romantic film. It's charm is completely underrated.
-Sliding Doors. Her & John Hannah's first kiss is something I've always just loved.
-Everything about You've Got Mail, even though it's really a terrible and boring film. I LOVE IT and I don't care.
-Sense and Sensibility- Hugh's speech/proposal to Emma is just magnificent. I bawl like a child every single damned time.
-Moulin Rouge- I like the first "Come What May" (not the final climax version) so, so much.
-Emma- I love Gwyneth & Jeremy Northam's scene together where they tell one another how they feel. (I'm a sucker for Jane Austen, what can I say?)
-Amelie... I love her little fantasy about him picking up her baking ingredients. It's silly for me to like it best, I just do
-Ghost World... some people think it's weird, but I get all mushy and upset and despondent because of the scene when Thora Birch & Steve Buscemi get it on (how romantic of me to say it that way!)
-I love Secretary. I think it's one of the sweetest, most engaging romantic films I've ever seen. Most people don't get it when I call it romantic or a great love story- but it is I love when he comes to get her from his office and makes her drink like a frappucino to regain her strength... lol
-The buildup, first kiss, and love scene in Cold Mountain are unbelievable. I wasn't a fan of the movie as a whole, HATED the book, but the two of them... it was so completely compelling.

Oh, and a couple of TERRIBLE ones- I thoroughly enjoyed the Notebook (TERRIBLE book, TERRIBLE film, but still), IQ with Meg Ryan & Tim Robbins, and then a terrible film with Jude Law called Music From Another Room or something like that- with a kiss with him and Gretchen Mol. She's a terrible actress, the movie is horrible, but the kiss was wonderful. I mean, it was bordering on completely terrible- they even play Savage Garden's "Truly Madly Deeply" and I STILL loved it.

Told you I was a sucker for the romantic movies!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley
Diane Keaton was absolutely stunning in Something's Gotta Give- wasn't a fan of the film itself particularly, but she was stunning.

I'm a SUCKER for romantic movies, especially cheesy terrible ones. A few off the top of my head that I loooove-

-Bridget Jones. I must confess that I love watching her run after him in her undies in the snow. And that's a fabulous movie kiss.
-Speaking of Colin Firth. Pride & Prejudice. Anything with him smoldering. Swoon.
-Lost in Translation. I consider the final scene between Bill & Scarlett to be one of the most romantic, beautiful things I've ever seen on film.
-Return to Me w/ David Duchovny & Minnie Driver. No particular moment or scene. I just think it's a wonderful, funny, romantic film. It's charm is completely underrated.
-Sliding Doors. Her & John Hannah's first kiss is something I've always just loved.
-Everything about You've Got Mail, even though it's really a terrible and boring film. I LOVE IT and I don't care.
-Sense and Sensibility- Hugh's speech/proposal to Emma is just magnificent. I bawl like a child every single damned time.
-Moulin Rouge- I like the first "Come What May" (not the final climax version) so, so much.
-Emma- I love Gwyneth & Jeremy Northam's scene together where they tell one another how they feel. (I'm a sucker for Jane Austen, what can I say?)
-Amelie... I love her little fantasy about him picking up her baking ingredients. It's silly for me to like it best, I just do
-Ghost World... some people think it's weird, but I get all mushy and upset and despondent because of the scene when Thora Birch & Steve Buscemi get it on (how romantic of me to say it that way!)
-I love Secretary. I think it's one of the sweetest, most engaging romantic films I've ever seen. Most people don't get it when I call it romantic or a great love story- but it is I love when he comes to get her from his office and makes her drink like a frappucino to regain her strength... lol
-The buildup, first kiss, and love scene in Cold Mountain are unbelievable. I wasn't a fan of the movie as a whole, HATED the book, but the two of them... it was so completely compelling.

Oh, and a couple of TERRIBLE ones- I thoroughly enjoyed the Notebook (TERRIBLE book, TERRIBLE film, but still), IQ with Meg Ryan & Tim Robbins, and then a terrible film with Jude Law called Music From Another Room or something like that- with a kiss with him and Gretchen Mol. She's a terrible actress, the movie is horrible, but the kiss was wonderful. I mean, it was bordering on completely terrible- they even play Savage Garden's "Truly Madly Deeply" and I STILL loved it.

Told you I was a sucker for the romantic movies!
I haven't seen 95% of the movies you listed, but I did like Emma. The two times I was forced to sit through Sleepless In Seattle on TV I fell asleep before it could really hurt me.

- Jake
Old 07-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I HATE Sleepless in Seattle. I've been told I'm supposed to turn in my womanhood card for not liking it, but I just don't. I can't help it!!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I HATE Sleepless in Seattle. I've been told I'm supposed to turn in my womanhood card for not liking it, but I just don't. I can't help it!!
I had to go back to reread your original post because I was sure you had listed it. But no, it was You've Got Mail, the other insomnia cure.

- Jake
Old 07-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They're pretty much the same movie, just e-mail instead of letters, or whatever the hell they had in Sleepless in Seattle! So who knows why I love one and hate the other ?
Old 07-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I agree

Quote:
They always told me about this movie as a remake of the Cary Grant /Deborah Kerr movie (An affair to remember, I think). But it is not.
Anyway I was dissapointed about SIS. I expected something better
Old 07-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My fave moments

- Moonstruck. I LOVE CHER in this movie. IT has many romantic moments.
- Pretty Woman. Another fave. The night in San Francisco, she in red dress, the jet, the opera, It's a Cinderalla story but beautiful
- Gone with the Wind. The kiss when Rett leaves Scarlett after leaving Atlanta
- Cousins. I loved Isabella Rossellini in this movie.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

LOVE both of those movies!!!!!

Secretary rocked. I love James Spader and Lesley Ann Warren ahs always been a favorite of mine in anything, especially in Clue and Victor Victoria. Maggie Gyllenhal should've won an award for that movie, too.

And Bridge Jones cracks me up everytime. The sequel comes out in November.

Anything with Diane Keaton is fantastic, especially Baby Boomer. I thought her and Sam Shepherd made one of the best onscreen couples ever.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
LOVE both of those movies!!!!!

Secretary rocked. I love James Spader and Lesley Ann Warren ahs always been a favorite of mine in anything, especially in Clue and Victor Victoria. .
Any actress who inspires Stevie to write a song is okay by me.

- Jake
Old 07-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I totally agree with this.

Also, the scene in 28 Days Later when Selena and Jim finally kiss, right after she figures out that he isn't a zombie and decides not to bash his brains in. I love it.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
I totally agree with this.

Also, the scene in 28 Days Later when Selena and Jim finally kiss, right after she figures out that he isn't a zombie and decides not to bash his brains in. I love it.
I liked this movie & am surprised that so many folks think it sucked.

- Jake
Old 07-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I liked this movie & am surprised that so many folks think it sucked.

- Jake
I thought it was fantastic. Hated the ending, but I loved the movie.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I thought it was fantastic. Hated the ending, but I loved the movie.
It's...happening... ...You and I are finally agreeing on something...About time you started talking sense.

- Jake
Old 07-15-2004, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I just rented Something's Got To Give & am so impressed by Diane Keaton. (Actually, I haven't finished watching it yet. I rented four movies since I've been stuck inside from oral surgery last week & lots of meds.) Anyway, this film, the drugs, and dissention's many fetching references to Lynne Cheney's romantic prose ( ) have me wondering, what are your favorite romantic movie scenes?

- Jake

I'd just die to see a PBS special on "Sisters." I envision a butch Sigourney Weaver sharing her bed with a prissy Ellen, speaking of her "ivory pillows" in a breathless voice with just the smallest hint of lust. Lynne Cheney could play the chief prostitute, while Oily Dick can play the fat chick in the wagon who's dying of syph. I see an Emmy.