Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Federal court upholds Illinois law banning horse slaughter

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

CHICAGO - A federal appeals court in Chicago has upheld an Illinois law that bans the slaughter of horses for human consumption.

Unless an appeal is filed, the ruling will force the closure of the Cavel (kuh-VEHL') International plant in DeKalb, the last horse slaughtering plant in the United States.

The meat is shipped to be eaten by diners overseas, except for a portion sold to U.S. zoos.

The state of Illinois banned that practice earlier this year, but the plant had been operating while the court of appeals made its decision.

The Cavel plant has operated in DeKalb for about 20 years, and plant officials say it slaughters about 1,000 horses a week.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

CHICAGO - A federal appeals court in Chicago has upheld an Illinois law that bans the slaughter of horses for human consumption.

Unless an appeal is filed, the ruling will force the closure of the Cavel (kuh-VEHL') International plant in DeKalb, the last horse slaughtering plant in the United States.

The meat is shipped to be eaten by diners overseas, except for a portion sold to U.S. zoos.

The state of Illinois banned that practice earlier this year, but the plant had been operating while the court of appeals made its decision.

The Cavel plant has operated in DeKalb for about 20 years, and plant officials say it slaughters about 1,000 horses a week.

Good. Get that **** out of here. And.. a portion sold to U.S. zoos? WTF? x 2

I cannot understand how anyone could work there. If there was no other form of employment, I'd let myself get homeless and starve to death first. There is absolutely no way. Not for all the money in the world. Absolutely disgusting... this is making my stomach churn.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Good. Get that **** out of here. And.. a portion sold to U.S. zoos? WTF? x 2

I cannot understand how anyone could work there. If there was no other form of employment, I'd let myself get homeless and starve to death first. There is absolutely no way. Not for all the money in the world. Absolutely disgusting... this is making my stomach churn.
I'm guessing for other animals to eat? Either that or I'm NEVER eating at a zoo snack stand again

I was thinking the same thing about the workers. While it's sad to put that many people out of work - how can one work there!?! I couldn't live with myself...though I don't have a family to feed so I guess I can't judge.

Still...I'm glad the ban was upheld and I'm very happy that the last U.S. horse slaughter house is closing!
Old 09-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna View Post
I'm guessing for other animals to eat? Either that or I'm NEVER eating at a zoo snack stand again
i would have thought they'd find more natural ways to feed than to patronize a horse slaughterhouse. but, true, a lot of zoos aren't exactly the epitome of animal wellfare. of course, there are some very conscientious zoos and handlers out there, but there are also plenty of low budget animal showcases.

breton, that's an interesting point. i would hope farmers would, yknow, stop raising horses for slaughter and move on to something else. cattle, maybe? not that i'm glad to see cattle slaughterhouses either, but that's a trade that isn't going to be going anywhere anytime soon, so it'd at least be reliable work for them.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
breton, that's an interesting point. i would hope farmers would, yknow, stop raising horses for slaughter and move on to something else. cattle, maybe? not that i'm glad to see cattle slaughterhouses either, but that's a trade that isn't going to be going anywhere anytime soon, so it'd at least be reliable work for them.
Exactly Hopefully this should get the message home that there's no future in breeding horses for food, and these farmers and slaughterhouse workers can move on to something more mainstream. As you say, no-one's going to be banning the slaughter of cattle or pigs anytime soon, so there's work for these guys out there. I just hope there's no nasty transitional period during which horses get inhumanely offed because they're in the way and unprofitable. Maybe animal welfare groups in that area will be on the lookout and will try to make sure this doesn't happen.

As for the zoos, they'll just have to use other kinds of meat. Hopefully it'll be more expensive for the crappy, brutal zoos and it'll push them towards closure. People really should be able to spot a bad zoo anyway, and just not visit.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But what about the dogs? And the babies?

Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
Exactly Hopefully this should get the message home that there's no future in breeding horses for food, and these farmers and slaughterhouse workers can move on to something more mainstream. As you say, no-one's going to be banning the slaughter of cattle or pigs anytime soon, so there's work for these guys out there. I just hope there's no nasty transitional period during which horses get inhumanely offed because they're in the way and unprofitable. Maybe animal welfare groups in that area will be on the lookout and will try to make sure this doesn't happen.

As for the zoos, they'll just have to use other kinds of meat. Hopefully it'll be more expensive for the crappy, brutal zoos and it'll push them towards closure. People really should be able to spot a bad zoo anyway, and just not visit.

Perhaps the groups that have pushed the suits to close the place have already thought of this. I hope they would have that foresight.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's good news in theory, but I wonder how those 1000 unwanted horses per week will be treated now. They'll still be unwanted and they may be slaughtered in less humane ways. The whole thing is ugly