The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What is your favorite song from Behind the Mask?
In the Back Of My Mind 6 23.08%
Save Me 11 42.31%
Stand On the Rock 0 0%
Love Is Dangerous 2 7.69%
Freedom 7 26.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Behind the Mask Album - Winners Battle

It's now time to vote for your Favorite song from Behind the Mask. The poll closes in 4 days on Saturday.

So Behind the Mask album wasn't a big seller as FM had been used to with the past several albums. What do you think was the reason? Was it because Lindsey was gone, the overall sound of the album (muddy mixing), or some other reason. What was the fallout from the albums performance? We know Christine, Stevie, and Rick left/were leaving the group.

Last edited by MacShadowsBall; 11-09-2010 at 01:47 PM..
Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
So Behind the Mask album wasn't a big seller as FM had been used to with the past several albums.
Well, it DID reach #1 in the UK.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Well, it DID reach #1 in the UK.
That's true chiliD, but one must say that Behind the Mask, in comparison to the Rumours era albums, did poorly. I like the album, mainly because I'm not a fan of Lindsey's songs, so with him gone (him not having any songs on the album) didn't really effect my liking the new album.

Personally I feel the reason the album didn't do well, is simply because FM were at this time were "famous" since 1975, 15 years later I would imagine its hard to maintain fame from the 1970's into the 1990's. If someone can name a band/artist that was as famous heading into the 1990's as they were in the 70's, I'll be proven wrong!!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
That's true chiliD, but one must say that Behind the Mask, in comparison to the Rumours era albums, did poorly.
Well, by 1990 anything "Fleetwood Mac" was pretty "uncool"...but, still despite that, it reached #18 in the US.

And, really, unless you were the Eagles Greatest Hits, the Saturday Night Fever movie soundtrack, or somebody named "Michael Jackson", you weren't going to sell Rumours-type numbers...heck, even the subsequent FOUR Fleetwood Mac albums COMBINED couldn't touch Rumours...it just never was going to happen again, regardless of Fleetwood Mac personnel.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh wow... asking me to chose between Save Me and Freedom is tough!

And agreed what ChiliD and Macshadowsball said... by 1990 Fleetwood Mac was just thoroughly uncool and tragically out of touch. It's just a cyclical thing... no bad can maintain continued popularity for decades on end. Musical tastes ebb and flow, and Fleetwood Mac by 1990 has pretty much frozen their sound... which wasn't inline with the times.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
. by 1990 Fleetwood Mac was just thoroughly uncool and tragically out of touch.
And putting out an album that sucked didn't exactly help.

And what was the deal on that cover? Some kind of mystery
Beatles-Led Zep thing going on there? Or just a band with no
identity? Or maybe an identity crisis?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Having to tour behind two consecutive albums that did not (Tango) or barely (Greatest Hits) featured the "Billy and Rick" Fleetwood Mac surely must have hurt this band because they had to fight false expectations raised by marketing them as Fleetwood Mac a/k/a the "Stevie and Lindsey" Fleetwood Mac, right from the beginning.
So by "Behind the Mask", fans knew that this wasn't the same band anymore. Unfortunately, the label then got the "Chain" boxed set next - instead of another album from this lineup, which wasted the only chance of a 2nd album that this lineup of the band may have had. They should not have put out "Greatest Hits", but started on a new album right away so they could not be perceived as a mere cover band.

It's hard to pick a favourite from "Behind the Mask" because it's my 1st FM album which I got because I loved Billy's songwriting for other artists - and his solo album "Coming Home". "Do You Know" is outstanding, as are "Affairs Of the Heart", "When it Comes To Love", "Hard Feelings" and "In the Back Of My Mind". But for this poll, I vote for my 1st favourite, my instant favourite:

"When the Sun Goes Down".
Old 11-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwebster View Post
It's hard to pick a favourite from "Behind the Mask" because it's my 1st FM album which I got because I loved Billy's songwriting for other artists - and his solo album "Coming Home". "Do You Know" is outstanding, as are "Affairs Of the Heart", "When it Comes To Love", "Hard Feelings" and "In the Back Of My Mind". But for this poll, I vote for my 1st favourite, my instant favourite:

"When the Sun Goes Down".
I'll give you a second vote for WTSGD. You didn't mention it but Billy came out with another solo album in '85, Try Me, which featured Mick and Christine (great vocals on "It Ain't Over" and "Rock And Roll Lullaby") as well as another great track "Ain't It Just Like Love."

Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

After listening to Save Me and Freedom back to back several times I had to go with Freedom. I just love the angst in that one... it's just raw. And to me, the production is just more straightforward and clean. Whereas the production is pretty gummy in places on Save Me (the intro especially comes to mind). Don't get me wrong, I adore Save Me and it's a personal fav, but Freedom just barely eeks out a lead for me .
Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Surprisingly I chose Freedom from this list. The only song that tops it from this album is When It Comes To Love, so since it didn't make the cut my vote has to go to Freedom. Like I said before, in my view it's one of Stevie's top five best songs of all time. What a missed opportunity it was that this song wasn't performed live.

Matt
Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Freeeeeeedom