The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac – Mirage (LP, Warner Bros. Records, W1 23607, 1982)($3.00) Very clean vinyl– cover has a suspicious wear spot, like someone used water to take adhesive off the cover. Also a Columbia House pressing. Clearly I didn’t look very closely at this one. I don’t like to take Columbia House pressings normally due to the uncertain nature of what they used for masters. That said, it is very clean and plays well, and is one of the better copies of Mirage I’ve seen, even with those flaws. The Mac tries to come back from the Titanic expensive failure that was Tusk (still my favorite, however). I really like Mirage– the band comes back to the style and sound of Rumours. The album had six singles released worldwide, but the biggest singles were “Hold Me” and “Gypsy.” The album makes it to #1 on the US charts, so it is clear that their audience wanted another album, but in the canon of Fleetwood Mac, Mirage is not one that people remember.

My first Fleetwood Mac concert was for the Miragetour in 1982. My family saw them in Cedar Falls with Glenn Frey of the Eagles opening on his first solo tour. I’ve seen Fleetwood Mac three more times since then– once during the very sad Time tour with Dave Mason and Bekka Bramlett on guitars and vocals in Dubuque, once for The Dance tour and once for the Say You Will Tour.

http://www.playbsides.com/
Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac gay | ChaCha Answers
ChaCha has the answer to this question: Is Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac gay Answer: Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mack is not gay. He's actually currentl.
http://www.chacha.com/question/is-mi...etwood-mac-gay
Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Rock Icons Roll On

AARP -May/June 2010

Headline: Rock Icons Roll On

Body: Fierce,Rebellious- unstoppable. Rock's royalty remain the hottest acts in music.

Longevity, baby.... that was the subtext of the 52nd Grammy awards in January.Whether it was a raspy STEVIE NICKS outsinging Taylor Swift in their spunky off-key duet, or the fact that all five Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance nominees-BOB DYLAN,JOHN FOGERTY,PRINCE,NEIL YOUNG, and winner BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN- were all over 50, the night's most vibrant artists were also its most revered. And that's true any night. Ask yourself- who's sexier: TINA TURNER or Lady Gaga ? Exactly !

guess this dates me, but was good to see Stevie get first mention !
Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mates of State, a husband-and-wife musical duo that formed in Lawrence back in the late 1990s, just announced the completion of a new covers album, Crushes ... .

Crushes ... will be released sometime this summer (the release date's TBD). On it, Jason Hammel and Kori Gardner will duet on songs by artists such as Girls, Fleetwood Mac, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Daniel Johnston and Belle & Sebastian.

Listen to the first track on the album, "Laura" -- a song written by Girls -- for a taste.

Hammel and Gardner, who now call San Francisco home, don't have any shows lined up right now, but if they do tour this year, it's likely they'll stop in Lawrence or KC. When I interviewed 'em back in 2008, they told me they can't go too long without Wheatfields bread and Free State beer.

http://www.inkkc.com/blogs/mates-sta...album/apr/3/10
Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What Makes You Think You're The One
Thursday, April 8, 2010 at 01:54PM

What makes you think you're the one
Who can laugh without crying?
What makes you think you're the one
Who can live without dying?

– Fleetwood Mac

I've been going through a phase recently of listening to an obnoxious amount of music from the seventies. Not my usual Big Star or T Rex, but the stuff I never even really liked when I was a teenager, the stuff we ignored on the radio in the drive thru beer place, the stuff that our science teachers performed in the talent show when they were trying to relive their youth and we just thought they were being lame*. (My ever-growing Todd Rundgren record collection — now up to 9? — can be blamed, maybe the endless number of Carole King albums we inherited with the record player as well.) This, much to my surprise, and much to the dismay of my husband, has included a great deal of Fleetwood Mac.

I'm working my way through their back catalog, and today I'm up to Tusk. When "What Makes You Think You're The One" came on, my ears pricked up. This particular song is nowhere in the running to be a favorite (my, Mick Fleetwood, why so angry at Lindsey Buckingham?), but as I was listening, those lyrics hit me. A slap on the arm — listen up.

I'm guilty of those things. In so many ways. I deign to think I'm invincible. That I'm somehow immune to physics or depression or death.

But I'm not immune to any of it.

I know this is a breakup song. (I also know, thanks to my recent seventies research**, that pretty much every song Fleetwood Mac ever wrote was a breakup song.) But give me the benefit of a little free interpretation, because at this moment, to me, it means something entirely different.

And then the lyrics, in their strange repetitive Lindsey Buckingham way that I'm still trying to deconstruct, came to their point:

Everything you do has been done
And this won't last forever

Wow. Guys, Lindsey Buckingham is right.

These things we do, as innovative as we may think we're being, have all been done by someone else, whether we know it now or ten years from now. Even this realization has been had before, by someone else going through their own whatever, wherever, whenever. As hard as it can be to come to terms with it, I think we need to remember that everything is temporary, and not always as important as we sometimes make it out to be.

And most imporantly: the world does not revolve around us. ANY of us. Me me me included.

I've been thinking a lot (again) about the overcrowding of the internet, how so much of what's out there is just copy-and-paste, the same emotions thrown out by similar-minded people, with similar backgrounds, elbowing each other, all aching to be heard. And how I'm no better than the rest of them. While I'm the first to praise the internet for letting voices be heard, and acknowledging that there are many voices I'm so glad I've heard, I'm wondering if I'm becoming too reliant on needing to be heard, on making a sound when I fall in the woods. J has been good about reminding me before: sometimes it's okay to just live without documenting.

(I don't know why it took a lyric by Lindsey Buckingham to drive home what my husband has been telling me for years, but there you go.)

I'm not about to put duct-tape over my mouth, tear down this site and spend solitary, silent weeks at a monastery, but I am about to start thinking more carefully about what is necessary to put out there, reevaluating (again) what I'm adding to the conversation.*** Just slow it down a little bit. Because this won't last forever. This was a much-needed (curly-haired, bell-bottomed, gravelly-voiced) wake-up call.

And now I'm off to listen to "Gypsy" for the Way-Too-Many-nth time.

*And then years later we would have a beer with them and realize we were the ones being lame.

**Something else I've noticed is that the first comment on every YouTube video from the seventies is inevitably about how the music back then had so much more substance than what is out there today, how everyone today is talentless, how things were so much better then.

***Blogging about not blogging as much? Check.

© Zan McQuade. All rights reserved.

http://www.thatcupoftea.com/blog/201...e-the-one.html
Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Crowd goes gaga for Goo Goo Dolls, but Collective Soul turns in ...
By John Staton
The Goos ended the evening with Fleetwood Mac's ”Spare Me a Little Of Your Love,” the second song of their encore and one of two covers the Goo Goo Dolls performed. (The other was Tom Petty's “American Girl”). All in all not a bad show, ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE ACTUAL REVIEW READ:
The Goos ended the evening with Supertramp’s “Spare Me a Little Of Your Love,” the second song of their encore and one of two covers the Goo Goo Dolls performed. (The other was Tom Petty’s “American Girl”).

All in all not a bad show, and one that delivered to the faithful everything they were wanting and expecting.

READER COMMENT:
April 9th, 2010 10:54 am
THe last song was not by Fleetwood Mac! It was Supertramp! Wow…how old was the person writing this article?
As far as the crowd goes, it was pretty good..after all it wasn’t Springsteen!

http://compass.blogs.starnewsonline....t-performance/
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default This is my first time viewing these rehearsal videos

Sister's of the Moon Roctober 19,1979

Angel Roctober 19,1979

Sara Roctober 19,1979 at the 2:32 mark she lifts up her skirt(yowza)

Sharon is impressed:
trackaghost What a treat. The video of the Tusk Tour Rehearsals I've seen had no closeups. 8 months ago (thanks for sharing it with us Sharon)

Say You Love Me Roctober 19,1979
Old 04-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exceprt from a Cape May County Herald article on Rob Grill.

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/a...+gonna+get+you

In 1979, Grill at the prompting of Fleetwood Mac member Lindsey Buckingham and John McVie, produced a solo album titled “Uprooted.”
Old 04-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac Becomes a Super Group
Even though Fleetwood Mac was now without a guitar player, Mick Fleetwood went shopping for a studio where his band could record their next album. He heard a sample of music that was recorded in the studio, a song called "Frozen Love," recorded by Buckingham Nicks.

Fleetwood was amazed by the guitarist he heard and wanted to invite him to join Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey Buckingham made it clear that he and his then-girlfriend, Stevie Nicks, were a duo and a package deal. The group agreed to hire Buckingham and Nicks, making Fleetwood Mac a quintet with three singer-songwriters once again.

Together, they released a self-titled album in 1975, which would become Fleetwood Mac's first platinum album. The same lineup of musicians followed up in 1977 with Rumours, which became the best selling album of its time. Their platinum success continued in 1979 with Tusk. They released a live album the following year.

After three group members completed solo projects, Fleetwood Mac reunited to release Mirage in 1982. After more solo and side projects, Fleetwood Mac reunited and released Tango in the Night in 1987.

Fleetwood Mac After Lindsey Buckingham
After Lindsey Buckingham left the group, he was replaced by Billy Burnette and Rick Vito. Now a six-member group with four singer-songwriters, they released Behind the Mask in 1990. Considered a commercial disappointment, it was Fleetwood Mac's first studio album since 1974 that did not go platinum.

After Stevie Nicks and Rick Vito left, Fleetwood Mac hired Bekka Bramlett and Dave Mason. In 1995, they released Time, a commercial disappointment.

The Super Group Reunites
In 1997, the lineup of Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie, John McVie, and Stevie Nicks reunited to release The Dance, which went on to enjoy multi-platinum status.

After Buckingham and Nicks completed solo projects, the band reunited in the studio without Christine McVie, who had retired and moved back to England. In 2003, Fleetwood Mac released Say You Will, their first album without Christine McVie since 1970.

The Legacy of Fleetwood Mac
Because of the band's longevity, personnel changes, and the various musical styles that are created as a result, Fleetwood Mac has one of the most extensive and diverse musical catalogs in the history of music. Their fans hope the chain will continue.

Sources

•Fleetwood, Mick (1991). Fleetwood: My Life and Adventures in Fleetwood Mac. New York, NY: William Morrow & Company
•FleetwoodMac.net (n/d). All Fleetwood Mac Media. Author (website). http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/artis...gid=all&aid=25
•Recording Industry Association of America (2010). Gold & Platinum: Searchable Database. Author (website). http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumd...p?table=SEARCH
•Rolling Stone (2010). Fleetwood Mac: Biography. Author (website). http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/...dmac/biography
•Rolling Stone (2010). Fleetwood Mac: Discography. Author (website). http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/...ac/discography

http://classicrockmusic70s90s.suite1...-fleetwood-mac
Old 04-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac's Tusk
by Rob Trucks

Tusk, the first record in history to cross the million dollar threshold in production costs, was the Fleetwood Ma's critically acclaimed, commercially disappointing 1979 double album. This book is an in-depth and "official" look at one of the most unusual albums ever released by a major rock band.

Imprint: Continuum
Series: 33 1/3
Pub. date: 11 Sep 2011
ISBN: 9780826429025
144 Pages, paperback

World rights
Translation Rights Available

$12.95

Add to my Catalogue
Add to my basket .Description

After Rumours became the best-selling single album of all-time, Fleetwood Mac asked Warner Brothers Records to buy them a studio (the label refused, costing both Warner Brothers and the band significant cash in the long run) and then handed the reins to their guitarist and resident perfectionist Lindsey Buckingham, a fusion of factors that led Tusk to become the first record in history to cross the million dollar threshold in production costs.

Blame (or credit) Buckingham’s public perception as a punctilious performer and producer on this, the Mac’s critically acclaimed, commercially disappointing 1979 double album (it’s said that Warner Brothers executives could see their Christmas bonuses flying out the window upon finally hearing Tusk’s first rough cuts). But the 1975 addition of Buckingham and Stevie Nicks undeniably transformed Fleetwood Mac from a barely viable blues-based group into a radio powerhouse. Rumours, the second LP by the Mac reconfiguration of Buckingham, one-time paramour Nicks, drummer Mick Fleetwood, bassist John McVie and his wife and keyboardist Christine, sold more than 20 million copies. But during its creation, relationships within the band broke down — Buckingham split from Nicks, McVie from McVie — leaving the follow-up Tusk as a bizarre and fractious assemblage held together only by Buckingham’s much-documented, Brian Wilson–like obsession.

What remains is Fleetwood Mac’s Apocalypse Now, their White Album, the epic beginning of their ongoing end, a shotgun blast of musical spray. And, without question, the ballsiest venture in rock history.

“You know,” Buckingham told me when we met last October, “we had this ridiculous success with Rumours. And at some point, at least in my perception, the success of that detached from the music, and it was more about the phenomenon.

“We were poised to do another album, and I guess because the axiom ‘If it works, run it into the ground’ was prevalent then, we were probably poised to do Rumours II. I don’t know how you do that, but somehow my light bulb that went off was, ‘Let’s just not do that. Let’s very pointedly not do that.’ ”

This, then, was Buckingham’s crossroads: to follow his heart (a.k.a. the sounds in his head) or his wallet, knowing that he would bring rock’s most commercially viable act along with him. His decision to take the road less traveled, a path he still walks, is the most telling moment in his long career.

“Tusk,” he says, “is the most important thing, on some level, that I ever was involved with — for the music, but also because it was a line I drew in the sand.”

Author(s)
Rob Trucks,

Rob Trucks is a freelance music and sports writer based in NYC. He has published four books on baseball, and one collection of interviews with American fiction writers.

http://www.continuumbooks.com/books/...ubject2Id=1396
Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Press play and you could be forgiven for thinking you’ve mixed up your records, for the first thing you hear is Fleetwood Mac – the floating intro from Little Lies opens the title track. It’s a bold statement of intent, heralding an album where the sounds of the 70s and 80s, from Hall & Oates melodies to Motown, are honoured guests.

http://www.recordreviewer.com/2010/0...quid-love.html
Here is that one.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:13 AM
vivfox
This message has been deleted by vivfox.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Music Blog » Fleetwood Mac – Dreams (with lyrics)
By admin
Were Christine and Stevie in Fleetwood Mac at the same time? Thanks… MonacoBlast. April 22nd, 2010 at 01:23 | #21. Reply | Quote. Reminds me of much better times…Thanks. 0riginaldan. April 22nd, 2010 at 01:39 | #22. Reply | Quote ...
Music Blog - http://muzic.me/

Now here you go again You say you want your freedom Well who am I to keep you down It’s only right that you should Play the way you feel it But listen carefully to the sound Of your loneliness Like a heartbeat drives you mad In the stillness of remembering what you had And what you lost And what you had And what you lost Thunder only happens when it’s raining Players only love you when they’re playing Say, women, they will come and they will go When the rain washes you clean you’ll know Now here I go again, I see the crystal visions I keep my visions to myself It’s only me who wants to wrap around your dreams and Have you any dreams you’d like to sell? Dreams of loneliness Like a heartbeat drives you mad In the stillness of remembering what you had And what you lost And what you had And what you lost Thunder only happens when it’s raining Players only love you when they’re playing Say, women, they will come and they will go When the rain washes you clean you’ll know You’ll know You will know You’ll know. . .

Categories: Lyrics
Tags: Dreams, Fleetwood, Lyrics Comments (25) Trackbacks (0) Leave a comment Trackback

gorillazfan3 April 21st, 2010 at 16:06 | #1 Reply | Quote such beautiful, haunting vocals.

warebe3 April 21st, 2010 at 16:29 | #2 Reply | Quote omg i love this song, this is a song i would like to drive my car wit.

c1212 April 21st, 2010 at 17:12 | #3 Reply | Quote I think I remember reading that she had a cold when she recorded this song but it sounds just perfect and exactly how it should sound.

MonacoBlast April 21st, 2010 at 17:26 | #4 Reply | Quote Stevie…Wow…

Club88EastOrange April 21st, 2010 at 17:55 | #5 Reply | Quote MASTERPIECE…

kanoa1420 April 21st, 2010 at 18:12 | #6 Reply | Quote i love stevie nicks she the greatest

creekxx13 April 21st, 2010 at 18:57 | #7 Reply | Quote haha ♥ <3 youre so sweet baby ♥

prophet59 April 21st, 2010 at 19:37 | #8 Reply | Quote heart wrenching song..totally awesome…

evrgrnn5280 April 21st, 2010 at 19:44 | #9 Reply | Quote i cant even describe how amazing this song and this band are… such a beautiful song.

notorioustia April 21st, 2010 at 19:51 | #10 Reply | Quote @may111992 OMG, this is my grandmother’s all-time favorite song also, I’m happy and grateful to still have her here and strong at age 84(sorry, for your lost though…

aaroncrawford66 April 21st, 2010 at 20:37 | #11 Reply | Quote man i love fleetwood. their music is soo relaxing

WadeElvisMan April 21st, 2010 at 20:57 | #12 Reply | Quote @MonacoBlast Yes, In fact Christine Mcvie sang an wrote a huge hit from the same LP “Rumors” song was “You Make Lovin’ Fun” so, YES she was with them.. Sad last 2 tours she was not there..

WadeElvisMan

relufactory April 21st, 2010 at 21:23 | #13 Reply | Quote esta cancion hace que uno se transporte a otro tiempo

WadeElvisMan April 21st, 2010 at 21:46 | #14 Reply | Quote wow….this song…ALWAYS makes me cry…and yuo KNOW who you are….if you see this….nice post, the words are overwhelming to me…

WadeElvisMan

doeboy253mbc April 21st, 2010 at 21:51 | #15 Reply | Quote THIS IS ONE OF THE SICKEST JAMS EVER

Exodus3003 April 21st, 2010 at 22:30 | #16 Reply | Quote @goddess098 definitely agree with that

jammee18 April 21st, 2010 at 22:46 | #17 Reply | Quote uhm..luv luv luv..this song

robb493 April 21st, 2010 at 23:18 | #18 Reply | Quote ooooooooohh yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaa

2008GetBig April 21st, 2010 at 23:54 | #19 Reply | Quote wtf, why are their balls hangin from his crotch? lolol

MonacoBlast April 22nd, 2010 at 00:38 | #20 Reply | Quote Were Christine and Stevie in Fleetwood Mac at the same time? Thanks…

MonacoBlast April 22nd, 2010 at 01:23 | #21 Reply | Quote Reminds me of much better times…Thanks

0riginaldan April 22nd, 2010 at 01:39 | #22 Reply | Quote This is proper

goddess098 April 22nd, 2010 at 01:51 | #23 Reply | Quote i think this song is amazing

fretlaz April 22nd, 2010 at 02:49 | #24 Reply | Quote thank you!!

zYkLoPMeDiA April 22nd, 2010 at 03:17 | #25 Reply | Quote One of the best Songs ever in History
& great audio quality 5*****

http://muzic.me/2010/04/fleetwood-ma...s-with-lyrics/
Old 04-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

#74 Cd's I listened to:

Fleetwood Mac-Greatest Hits: Well, it is Fleetwood Mac, so you know they aren't really rockin', but they are still a classic band. Seeing as this was a greatest hits album, I knew every song.

http://1001dayjourney.blogspot.com/2...o-week-42.html
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rock & Roll Photo Of The Week - Fleetwood Mac
Richard E. Aaron says:

Picture Posted Below Article

Mick and Stevie - I have been shooting Fleetwood Mac Concerts since the early Seventies, before they became a super group. This is a band where each member has his or her own extremely individual personality. Since I was the New York photographer for Warner Records, every time Fleetwood Mac would come to the east coast, I would be the shooter. I had photos printed in their tour programs and in magazines. I got even closer to the group in 1981 when I covered Mick Fleetwood 's trip to Ghana West Africa. I was hired by RCA Records and Rolling Stone Magazine to photograph Mick's first solo album recording. For me this also turned into a album jacket shoot, Fleetwood the Visitor. After that, Mick and I became good friends, and we became better friends once I moved to Los Angeles. Mick would call me whenever he has something for me to shoot. He told me once that he used me because I did not use strobe flash during the show, which really annoyed the group on stage. This shot is from a charity show called the 10K Rock and Run held at UCLA. Musicians would run for charity and after the event Fleetwood Mac played a free concert. I was on stage when I got this shot of Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood; the song was Stevie's signature "Rhiannon." She was at center stage singing and proceeded to walk over to Mick and for only a moment leaned against him. I saw the shot coming, positioned myself to Mick's left side and waited for Stevie to walk to him. You could even hear me talking to myself behind my camera asking them to please move together for me for this shot and to lean on one another. She did, and I clicked. I knew right away that I had the shot. One of the publicists came over to me to ask me why I was talking to my camera.

Plus-X film 125ASA 180mm lens 1/250sec. f/8 Available light
Originally posted at 4:21AM, 23 April 2010 PDT ( permalink )
Richard E. Aaron edited this topic 5 days ago.

tbower says:
That's a fascinating story, especially about one of my favorite rock groups. Thanks!
Posted 5 days ago. ( permalink )

`Mark&Manna says:
Amazing and brilliant.

GStrader says:
Fleetwood Mac has been and continues to be one of a handful of artists that I most love. I have been a fan since the 60s, when the group was in England, before Stevie Nicks...the days of Peter Green.

I love how you anticipated the shot, that is what I consider Karma Richard. Available Light does have its advantages, and serves as a valuable lesson to those who seem to think that you must have light stands, and strobes and soft boxes to capture the moment.

Thank you for posting this one.

Statevillain says:
This is one great image. Capturing the intesity that was Fleetwood Mac. Funny how we never know exactly what the camera will capture as we place pressure on the shutter button. Here, the expression is priceless.

BioArt says:
It's great when you shoot a group whose music you really enjoy - the Plus-X was a great film choice for this unique moment during Rhiannon. If you have one, would enjoy seeing that mesmerizing look in Stevie's face when she did Edge Of Seventeen in the early years.

mrbwa1 says:
I've been waiting to see a Fleetwood Mac shot. I have always been fascinated by their group dynamic.

This is also a great example of being aware of your surroundings and getting the shot just right. I may not be an awesome rock&roll photographer myself, but I can understand the "talking to the camera" bit. I have done it more than a few times myself.

ZwedeInExile says:
Love the story! Great shot of an awesome group!

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikondi...7623915109250/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45.jpg (86.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-28-2010, 03:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Viv, that photo is stunning! You must post it in the photo of the day thread! And I just quickly want to let you know that I love the MacNuggets threads. I really enjoy reading what others have to say about the Mac

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr