User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default concert review of a BN show

got a billboard issue from 3/23/74 that has a little review of a BN show in it. I am posting this on both the LB and SN things here, so sorry for any redundancy. I just wanted to be sure that anyone interested in one artist, but not the other artist got a shot to give this a look. It was an excerpt from "The Metro" of New York. It was written by Sam Sutherland
Ironically, I purchased this from a fellow in Michigan, it had an address sticker on it from someone in Camden, NJ. I am in Cherry Hill, not 10 mins from Camden. Much like the Residents Poster I bought from a Londoner for a show in Philadelphia, also but 20 mins away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Making their East Coast debut as opening act for a local unsigned band, BUckingham Nicks, a young band from Polydor, offered both problems and promise in a brief but telling set.

Chief virtues for the band are the strong vocal punch of the duets between the groups focal points, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevi Nicks, a visually striking couple whose writings form the bulk of their repertoire. With two additional musicians completing the current format, that twin strength is somewhat undermined, however, for Buckingham currently handles both vocal leads and lead guitar, a role that seems a bit taxing.

Ms. Nicks also encounters problems, chiefly in her solo style, which points up the occasional roughness of her voice and the strident quality to her top end that makes duets bracing but proves less fruitful when she tales the stage alone.

What more than saves the band is their sheer exuberance, however, a country-rock flavor to their faster tunes is ably sparked by that energy, and, with more consistant material another problem area further endangered during their set when they chose to cover Joni Mitchell's "Raised On Robbery", a fine tune but decidedly tough mark to match-and, if possible, additional instrumental support auguring for broader appeal.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note...."Stevi" as it is spelled on the BN album, not "Stevie"

"additional instrumental support auguring for broader appeal." Puhleez!!! "auguring"...... "auguring"....... gadzooks! I think that word went by the way of the illuminated letter. I guess what he was saying is that it seems that the band was trying a bit too hard for positive reaction. All in all, it could have been worse. Critics can be so acidic to both veterans and rookies. It would be interesting to read some reviews from Birmingham, Alabama, where for unknown reasons the band developed a cult-like status. Fot that I tip my hat to the town because they knew better.