Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default out of phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickshoot View Post
I'm not suggestiong that I will sound like Peter green by simply modding my guitar. I'm not very good. Peter's guitar had a distinct tone. It was from his bass pickup being put in backwards and the wiring being what is known as out of phase. It is sometimes very similar to B.B Kings tone. B.B.s guitar a Gibson 355 , has a 5 postion switch. Some of the postions have both pickups on "out of phase". You can hear the tone on a lot of Gary Moore's playing. Gary's playing does not sound that much like Peter's but his tone sometimes sounds like Peter's because it is the same guitar. I agree the magic in Peter's playing is in his heart and soul, but a lot of that tone came from that guitar.
Does the Gary Moore signature Les Paul have the sound?
Thanks for the info on the Page model.Way too costly for me.
And yes I would love to hear clips with that mod.
I am almost through with the Peter Green biography. Do any of the Fleetwood Mac bio's have a lot of Green info. I am not very interested in news about the modern day Mac.
What B B King had in the 60's was a Gibson ES 355 Stereo/Varitone. which included a rotary dial that went to two separate outputs. he plugged them into two different amps. this was a stock guitar (if such a thing could be said of that cherry beauty. the pickups were wired to the dial to change the mix going to the amplifiers. I have not researched it but in my random visits to music stores there are several guitars that have an out of phase setting. I think the Jimmy Page Guitar is just plain Highway robbery. Yiu might consider getting the book "electronics for guitarists" this is available at Sam Ash or Guitar Center. They actually go over the wiring diagrams for the various Les Pauls. Of course ttyou also need the pickups of that vintage or start winding coils to approximate their sound. This is how eddie van halen started.
good luck. PS I doubt that Gary Moore did anything. He mostly used other Gibsons when he got money. He broke Peter's in a car accident and used it sparingly. The video's of him show another faded suburst les paul with dimarzio pickups

vinnie c