Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was thinking about this yesterday... since things were so tense between Stevie & Lindsey directly after 'Rumours,' Tom Moncrieff was the one who helped Stevie with many of her 'Tusk' songs.

According to Annie McLoone, in regards to "Sara" specifically, the band replaced Moncrieff's bass parts with John's, Annie's backing vocals with Lindsey's & Christine's, and then Lindsey added some overdubs. She also stated that Tom's original acoustic guitar parts can still be heard, uncredited, on the album version.

Whether they like the song itself or not, I've never once heard fans complain that "Sara" doesn't sound like Fleetwood Mac.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
It's tricky, because if we thought they had saturated the market in 2004, what in the world are they doing now? The second leg will be mostly Europe and Australia. There are some places in the U.S. that they aren't hitting this year, but not enough for them to do another full scale tour in the states. So, I wonder what the venues will look like in 2015. I guess if they don't start until the summer time they can do sheds.
Intriguing. I'm not sure I see that much touring. I think Mick was interviewed (going from vague memory) and alluded to going real slow with Christine by pacing the tour to not be so treacherous. I mean this is her first outing since The Dance Tour. What if she starts to crumble midway through the tour? She turns 71 in July. Not saying she can't do it...time will tell.

How many times did The Dance make rounds? I think only one leg, right?

I'm also really hoping for an album (who knows...could be called On With The Show already) before the tour starts in September. Have they even announced europe/oz yet?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Yes. And then he arranged Gypsy. Nuff said.
Lindsey readily admits that's the one song where he really went out of his way...I'm not saying Lindsey is not good at what he does and personally I think he did a fantastic job on "Gypsy" but I also think it's the last FM song he did something great with...
Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I was thinking about this yesterday... since things were so tense between Stevie & Lindsey directly after 'Rumours,' Tom Moncrieff was the one who helped Stevie with many of her 'Tusk' songs.

According to Annie McLoone, in regards to "Sara" specifically, the band replaced Moncrieff's bass parts with John's, Annie's backing vocals with Lindsey's & Christine's, and then Lindsey added some overdubs. She also stated that Tom's original acoustic guitar parts can still be heard, uncredited, on the album version.

Whether they like the song itself or not, I've never once heard fans complain that "Sara" doesn't sound like Fleetwood Mac.
I was going to bring this up yesterday. It's hard to shoot down the merits of "Sara". Stevies tack piano playing also remains on the track from the demo. Didn't Chris layer her parts on top of the Stevie & Tom's demo?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Intriguing. I'm not sure I see that much touring. I think Mick was interviewed (going from vague memory) and alluded to going real slow with Christine by pacing the tour to not be so treacherous. I mean this is her first outing since The Dance Tour. What if she starts to crumble midway through the tour? She turns 71 in July. Not saying she can't do it...time will tell.

How many times did The Dance make rounds? I think only one leg, right?

I'm also really hoping for an album (who knows...could be called On With The Show already) before the tour starts in September. Have they even announced europe/oz yet?
Christine has invested too much of herself in this project for it to fail because of her. If it crumbles, it will, in my view, be because of someone else.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Christine has invested too much of herself in this project for it to fail because of her. If it crumbles, it will, in my view, be because of someone else.
The plot thickens. I agree about Christine. My point is that projects slated for 2015 are iffy, past doing europe/oz. If they do not put an album out before or around September, how can they ever have the energy and time for that during a tour schedule? So if they tour the USA thru December, they will want to rest hard. Hit Europe/Oz...even more tired. Doubt they will want to record, then hit the US again in 2015. Just sounds so iffy to me. Too many variables at this stage in the game.

Last edited by Richard B; 04-22-2014 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: grammar error
Old 04-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
There was that one time when Lindsey actually complimented Trouble In Shangri-la. Stevie mentioned it a couple of times during interviews that era - he said to her that it was the best work she'd ever done! He went on to praise John Shanks for doing a great job with Planets Of The Universe. Of course, it took Stevie writing 2 new verses and completely changing the structure of that song for it to really work. She did the same thing magnificently with Lady From The Mountain into Moonlight. That song needed a chorus. And she wrote a beauty. Just took the right kind of "strange" inspiration.

The story of LB praising John Shanks is in the "Crystal Visions" book as well where Stevie tells the story of how "Planets Of The Universe" came to be...
Old 04-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Having Dave " work" on a few songs can work within the making of a Fleetwood Mac album. If this is a piece of the process to get this album out this year then let it happen.
More like a piece of the process to get it out at all....to convince Stevie to participate. I don't think it's going to expedite the album release.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
The plot thickens. I agree about Christine. My point is that projects slated for 2015 are iffy, past doing europe/oz. If they do not put an album out before or around September, how can they ever have the energy and time for that during a tour schedule? So if they tour the USA thru December, they will want to rest hard. Hit Europe/Oz...even more tired. Doubt they will want to record, then hit the US again in 2015. Just sounds so iffy to me. Too many variables at this stage in the game.
As you mentioned, the tour schedule is more spread out so as to not be so grueling. They'll have plenty of rest plus Christine is making a point to be in good shape for the tour. They'll be alright. One thing we know is they will be doing something after this tour. They won't be inactive. Christine knows what she got herself into.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I was going to bring this up yesterday. It's hard to shoot down the merits of "Sara". Stevies tack piano playing also remains on the track from the demo. Didn't Chris layer her parts on top of the Stevie & Tom's demo?
I don't know that it's ever been stated outright that she did, but I think we'd be pretty safe assuming so. There are little piano bits here & there throughout the completed song, that sound like Christine's handy-work.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post

This is what I'm thinking also...Christine could be there working on Stevie's songs instead of Lindsey...
Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Lindsey readily admits that's the one song where he really went out of his way...I'm not saying Lindsey is not good at what he does and personally I think he did a fantastic job on "Gypsy" but I also think it's the last FM song he did something great with...
It's the last great song Stevie wrote. That's it. You can't make gold out of rubbish. Although Lindsey did great with the mwah song Destiny rules and The rubbish that is Illume, as a song. And I really like both versions of Thrown down, which was a pretty decent song. But great songs from Miss Nicks.... That's a long long time ago.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
It's the last great song Stevie wrote. That's it. You can't make gold out of rubbish. Although Lindsey did great with the mwah song Destiny rules and The rubbish that is Illume, as a song. And I really like both versions of Thrown down, which was a pretty decent song. But great songs from Miss Nicks.... That's a long long time ago.
Would you say that to Bob Dylan?

She's so full of herself....
Old 04-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Would you say that to Bob Dylan?

She's so full of herself....
You know, that whole segment in Destiny rules where they discuss the tense in the lyric of the song.... I revisited that some time ago, and I still don't understand what's the big deal when a bandmember suggest a small lyrical adjustment. And after the Dylan remark he very humbly steps back. Has Dylan ever wrote a cheaper than free by the way?

Old 04-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

You gentlemen do realize she wasn't comparing her talents to Bob Dylan -- but rather the fact that neither follow the conventions of writing?