The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What is your favourite song from OOTC?
This Is The Time 1 2.22%
Doing What I Can 4 8.89%
Soul Drifter 5 11.11%
Say We'll Meet Again 2 4.44%
Turn It On 6 13.33%
Street of Dreams 7 15.56%
Countdown 9 20.00%
You Do or You Don't 3 6.67%
All My Sorrows 0 0%
Wrong/Don't Look Down/Surrender the Rain 8 17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I think Out Of The Cradle is one cohesive piece of work (like the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds or the Beatles' Sgt Pepper), so I've never really taken the individual tracks into consideration.

It's kind of an "all or nothing" proposition.
I definitely agree with that. It was clearly envisioned as a whole, not a bunch of separate pieces thrown together to make a whole.

That being said, I love Doing What I Can. It just has such great energy... and passion.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Ok that was so hard my head hurt.
Mick
You're not kidding. This is really hard! Such a great album, and I love all the songs for different reasons ...but I finally narrowed it down to "Doing What I Can" and "Street of Dreams". DWIC is the one that pops into my head the most ( and stays there ) - but I had to vote for SOD 'cause it's just so beautiful, and personal for Lindsey. It's just always been the one that stands out for me.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts!

I absolutely agree with those of you who have said that the album is best thought of as one cohesive work, and the idea of choosing a favourite song certainly wasn't intended to suggest otherwise. Taking tracks as separate beings certainly takes something away -- I just love the transition to Surrender the Rain from the spoken intro, for example, so taking Surrender the Rain by itself just doesn't seem fair.

In saying that, I'm going to stick to my promise of being decisive for once in my life, and I've gone with Street of Dreams. Absolutely beautiful in every way. I'm loving pretty much all of them actually, but the closest runners up are Don't Look Down, You Do or You Don't, Surrender the Rain and Turn It On.

I have to say that I really don't feel much love for Countdown, even though it's tied for the lead here. The beauty of music I guess
Old 03-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

All My Sorrows is disturbingly absent from this discussion. It's always been one of my favorites. It has that nice "rainy day" atmosphere about it somehow, and the thick Lindsey harmonies are gorgeous.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulMiracle View Post
Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts!

I absolutely agree with those of you who have said that the album is best thought of as one cohesive work, and the idea of choosing a favourite song certainly wasn't intended to suggest otherwise. Taking tracks as separate beings certainly takes something away -- I just love the transition to Surrender the Rain from the spoken intro, for example, so taking Surrender the Rain by itself just doesn't seem fair.

In saying that, I'm going to stick to my promise of being decisive for once in my life, and I've gone with Street of Dreams. Absolutely beautiful in every way. I'm loving pretty much all of them actually, but the closest runners up are Don't Look Down, You Do or You Don't, Surrender the Rain and Turn It On.

I have to say that I really don't feel much love for Countdown, even though it's tied for the lead here. The beauty of music I guess
I voted for "Doing What I Can". The only song I really don't care for on the album is "Don't Look Down".

I like "Countdown", but I can't listen to it because of something about the the lead guitar; I think it's the pitch, I don't know. It's painfull; it literally hurts my ears.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

Surrender the Rain!! One of his most perfectly produced songs ever. The guitars, the lead and harmony vocals, the hand claps, instrumental arrangement.....there are so many layers to this song. An amazing piece of work. The production as a whole is slightly dated, but the album is perfect. Despite sounding like a product of it's time, OOTC is one of the most perfectly produced pop albums of all time. A Pet Sounds of the early 90's. Lindsey is a genius.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Supporting Ledgie

the only song I "dislike" (if that can be said) is Say We'll Meet Again. The rest of the record is spot on.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In order of favorites:

1. Say We'll Meet Again
2. All My Sorrows
3. Soul Drifter
4. You Do or You Don't

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My two absolute favourites from this CD are "Countdown" and "Soul Drifter". Just absolutely love them both!! That album came out at a time in my life where I really needed the message of both of those songs. It helped bring me out and keep me out of a dark place. I used to just blast this CD in my car stereo while I drove around. Probably really annoyed my neighbors!!!

I'd say "Don't Look Down", "You Do Or You Don't", "Turn It On" and "Doing What I Can" would come next in order of preference.

Overall, really love that CD.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All My Sorrow/Soul Drifter/Surrender the Rain have always stood out as weak tracks to me. Though certainly not bad.

I think this album is the least "put in and listen straight through" out of all of his albums (Maybe except Gift of Screws). But I guess that's just me...
Old 03-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
the only song I "dislike" (if that can be said) is Say We'll Meet Again. The rest of the record is spot on.
Pretty much the same here. I have to admit it's a perfect album closer, tho. Maybe one of the reasons I dislike it is I'm never ready for the album to be over!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoS View Post
All My Sorrow/Soul Drifter/Surrender the Rain have always stood out as weak tracks to me. Though certainly not bad.

I think this album is the least "put in and listen straight through" out of all of his albums (Maybe except Gift of Screws). But I guess that's just me...
Really? This album is my happy place. Oh well to each his own.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoS View Post
I'm the reverse (or inverse, here?). I think GOS and OOTC are the most "listen straight through" albums. I don't skip tracks on any of the albums, but I might want to on the others.

Michele
Old 05-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know why I didn't voted in this poll at its moment. Probably I was out of town where I don't connect often.

But my favorite is Soul Drifter, no doubt. Followed by Say we'll meet again, not so much for the melody but for the lyrics that are full of hope, or so I perceive.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I don't know why I didn't voted in this poll at its moment. Probably I was out of town where I don't connect often.

But my favorite is Soul Drifter, no doubt. Followed by Say we'll meet again, not so much for the melody but for the lyrics that are full of hope, or so I perceive.
I hereby dub thee THE RESURRECTOR!