The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Richard Dashut: Will he work w/LB/FM again?

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and this is my first posting. What a great FM "family" here!

Anyhow, I've been a LB fan ever since I first saw TV footage of FM back in '78 as an eight-year old and LB was playing guitar fingerstyle-WOW (my parents had insisted that I take classical guitar lessons when I wanted to ROCK-ahh childhood- and I thought it was awesome that there was this cool guy playing electric w/his fingers)! I then went back to my parents' records and listened to FM and Rumours backwards and forwards. Ever since then, I've always been obsessed with the production of FM and LB records- especially the stuff that Richard Dashut co-produced.

Does anyone know if RD is planning on working w/LB or FM again? I know he produced Matthew Sweet's "Beast" (which was wonderful- especially his use of VSOs on "Time Capsule"-its so LB) and FM's Time (not his best work IMO) and that he's involved in further developing Surround Sound for digital recordings.

I really would love to see RD & LB work together again. Anybody know anything? What's he been up to as a producer?
Old 04-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I don't know what Richard Dashut has been up to very recently, but there's a great Q&A with him on this site if you'd like to check it out. I think he and Lindsey had a parting of the ways and I doubt they will work together again, but, as Lindsey has said, stranger things have happened!

Old 04-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
I don't know what Richard Dashut has been up to very recently, but there's a great Q&A with him on this site if you'd like to check it out. I think he and Lindsey had a parting of the ways and I doubt they will work together again, but, as Lindsey has said, stranger things have happened!

No, I think you're thinking of the Q&A w/ Ken Caillat! We unfortunately have never been able to get Richard to do one; I believe we asked years ago when we did the thing w/ Ken, but no luck.

Richard, if you're out there, we'd love to have you!!!!!!

-Lis
Old 04-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

Why did Richard and Lindsey have a parting? Was it personal or Lindsey just wanted to do his own thing? They seemed like such good friends.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not really knowing which...but ONE of 'em probably stopped smoking pot. That'll divide a friendship pretty quickly. (personal experience)
Old 04-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

HAHA...I hear ya ChiliD....I hear ya
Old 04-20-2005, 04:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Well...

As seen in Destiny Rules...that OBVIOUSLY isn't Lindsey.

When did they seem to part company? Richard was around during the DAnce time right?

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 04-21-2005, 03:50 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Tango/OOTC vs. SYW

Thank you ThePenguin for the Ken C. pointer. Boy, it sounds like there are some "issues" btwn. LB & RD in that they haven't spoken for some time. Oh well...oh well..oh well...

It's a shame because IMHO I've always felt that Tango was the best produced FM album. I think it surpasses SYW in its sheer sonic beauty. It's so atmospheric and gothic in its textures- I simply love it. In fact, one of the overlooked facets of the album is the wonderful use of percussion throughout. When I listen to how LB & RD placed the crisp high-hats in the mix, it sounds like what's prevalent in dance music these days in the way the high-hat skips around beat. Plus the placement of various percussion just creates a feel that I've not heard since LB & RD worked together on OOTC. Tango just sounded way ahead of its time and I think what the two of them were doing remains tremendously underrated (They were doing all of it on analog tape! My god!!!!!)

OOTC seems to me to be an extension and further development of what the two of them were working on for Tango. I think it's the finest album by any artist in the last fifteen years w/EVERY track a true gem. Tango and OOTC just sound so wonderfully lush to my ears- I'm taken on a journey in sound.

So this begs the question(s): Was RD more responsible for the "atmospheric" and progressive (for a lack of better words) textures of Tango and OOTC, and because he wasn't involved w/SYW, the recent album sounds (IMHO) a bit more "safe" and "traditional"? Or was LB just as or more responsible for the atmospheric sounds of Tango and OOTC but trying to step away from such textures in his production as a means of clearly indicating an end to the LB-RD sonic partnership? OR....(this is going to open the proverbial "can of worms")...does an artist have to be going through a certain level of suffering or personal pain to create such beauty? Oh boy.

Please don't misunderstand me. I LOVE SYW!!!!! I...just miss the Tango "sound" and where I perceived it might have been going. Perhaps it's just me being nostalgic...
Old 04-21-2005, 05:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Not really knowing which...but ONE of 'em probably stopped smoking pot. That'll divide a friendship pretty quickly. (personal experience)
So ChiliD, which friend of yours stopped smoking pot?

Old 04-21-2005, 06:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
As seen in Destiny Rules...that OBVIOUSLY isn't Lindsey.

What exactly did you see in DR that makes you so sure?

Did I miss something, Kelly?

Old 04-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by souldrftrcllctr
So this begs the question(s): Was RD more responsible for the "atmospheric" and progressive (for a lack of better words) textures of Tango and OOTC, and because he wasn't involved w/SYW, the recent album sounds (IMHO) a bit more "safe" and "traditional"? Or was LB just as or more responsible for the atmospheric sounds of Tango and OOTC but trying to step away from such textures in his production as a means of clearly indicating an end to the LB-RD sonic partnership?
Remember that back in those old days it was essentially only Lindsey & Richard doing the engineering & implementing production decisions (& Ken Caillat also at the engineer post).

Whereas "Say You Will" is a huge mess of tracks recorded at different times over about an 8-year period with a LOT of cooks spoiling that broth: Lindsey himself, Rob Cavallo, John Shanks, Ken Allardyce, Ken Koroshetz, Mark Needham, Ray Lindsey, Chris Lord-Alge, Bernie Grundman, Joe Bozzi -- not to mention a list of "additional performers" that includes Sheryl Crow, Christine McVie, Jamie Muhoberac, Dave Palmer, John Pierce & John Shanks. Never have so many people been involved in a Fleetwood Mac album with Lindsey & Stevie in the band -- & never have tracks used on an FM album been recorded over such a long period of time.

It's practically impossible to parse out who did what & when. But I think it's the throng of people involved that make the album sound frazzled to me.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Remember that back in those old days it was essentially only Lindsey & Richard doing the engineering & implementing production decisions (& Ken Caillat also at the engineer post).

Whereas "Say You Will" is a huge mess of tracks recorded at different times over about an 8-year period with a LOT of cooks spoiling that broth: Lindsey himself, Rob Cavallo, John Shanks, Ken Allardyce, Ken Koroshetz, Mark Needham, Ray Lindsey, Chris Lord-Alge, Bernie Grundman, Joe Bozzi -- not to mention a list of "additional performers" that includes Sheryl Crow, Christine McVie, Jamie Muhoberac, Dave Palmer, John Pierce & John Shanks. Never have so many people been involved in a Fleetwood Mac album with Lindsey & Stevie in the band -- & never have tracks used on an FM album been recorded over such a long period of time.

It's practically impossible to parse out who did what & when. But I think it's the throng of people involved that make the album sound frazzled to me.
My thoughts exactly! You just articulate them so much better. I can save myself a lot of time and trouble following your posts around the board saying ditto or ITA like I often do with diss in the Stevie forum.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter_fades
My thoughts exactly!
I just copy my thoughts from you from you-know-where!!

moviekinks.blogspot.com