User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Well, maybe you're right. I'm 41 and at first listen I was totally struck by the whole feel of the album. Maybe it has something to do with MLC, although I tend to think I'm still very far away from that. I mean he's 57! For cryin' out loud. But the whole hunger for reflection is something I can relate to, so maybe that's part of the attraction of UTS for me.
Aww..Gerald, see...this could be it.! I confess I did think of you and ChiliD and a couple of others and about how much you all say you like this CD (my UTS lender is younger than you and I think he's doing the same MLC thing, which is why it appeals to him).Maybe, LB has struck a chord here. I wonder what other Ledgies think? I wouldn't mind betting that maybe( this is guesswork on my part) some of the younger musically minded Ledgies are struggling with this CD..Seteca, whats your take on it, as a matter of interest? (hmmm..wonder if I can jolly him out of hiding?)
Old 10-15-2006, 06:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well maybe it's a part of the attraction. On the other hand, the music is very gentle and touching. I'm basicly a rock-lover, but I've always wished Lindsey did an album stripped down and sparse, musically spoken. And now he's done it. Ofcourse the LB-way, so it's screwed up stripped down . Gotta love the man for that. He even jokes with the expectations of his biggest fans.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I hadn't even thought of this CD as appealing to people going through a mid life crisis!
I just love it the more I hear it because the melodies are, ahem, getting under my skin. As for the lyrics, they seem to mean different things to different people (as they should) so I don't think everyone is responding to a particular 'message' although that's what they might get from it.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysoul View Post
I hadn't even thought of this CD as appealing to people going through a mid life crisis!
I just love it the more I hear it because the melodies are, ahem, getting under my skin. As for the lyrics, they seem to mean different things to different people (as they should) so I don't think everyone is responding to a particular 'message' although that's what they might get from it.
true, It would be ridiculous to think this album only appeals to males in a midlifecrisis. I'm not in such a crisis, so there. Strandinthewind doesnot like the album that much so there goes our theory!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
true, It would be ridiculous to think this album only appeals to males in a midlifecrisis. I'm not in such a crisis, so there. Strandinthewind doesnot like the album that much so there goes our theory!
Hey there

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 10-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Ledgie

IMO this is the surface of the album (whispery vocals, loud electronic fx, fewer elements than before..). Once you don’t have a problem with that you’ll be able to let the music say things to you –eer get it under the skin . A lot more things actually than if this album was “correctly sung”, “correctly produced”, and talked about usual nonsenses, like the 95% (98%? ) of the rest of today’s music. Lindsey has done it personal, and just said what he felt the need to say today, with not much ties to how one is supposed to do things.

But this is part of what “rock & roll” is: the first Velvet Underground album and its hypnotic two chord songs, Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds talking about intimate weaknesses for the first time and exploring new sonorities, or Kraftwerk’s refusal to use traditional (non electronic) instruments and having to invent new technologies from scratch: not doing the things as you’re supposed to.

In this album, Lindsey talks about his life and most of all about his family, puts family photos in the booklet and family videos in the web as if they were “his band”, sings with the heart in a nude and crude way without caring if it sounds “normal” or polite, plays the guitar with virtuosism but lets get in an error or two without problems, and plays with his favourite effect machines as if they were just another instrument. He invents, takes risks, is still a transgressor, but is not talking about drugs or sex or politics, only about his family and new life, and his own career. Why not? These are the things that matter to him today.

I mean, who liked and fully understood Tusk musically at first listen? Certainly not me, it was a slow process to let the most riskier songs grow to understand it was something valuable. Today I can appreciate Lindsey’s new work in less time, because after all this years I think I can connect better with his methods (and learn from them all the time, music and production being also part of my life) and changes of direction. Although it’s been a progressive process, with the leaking demos.. and culminating in listening the actual cd in its full quality (mp3 can’t make justice to this work, you loose lots of nuances).

In a way, I think I love Lindsey’s work for very different reasons I love Stevie’s. I totally understand, of course, that someone can like her, or the band, and not Lindsey, or the other way round. It’s fascinating overall: part of Lindsey’s “failure” as a solo artist is that his potential audience is different of FM’s. And every audience type has its prejudices, so it's difficult to fit anywhere.

After all the bla, bla, bla.. I think there’s only one way: you put the CD, and it says and makes you feel things to you, or not. If you respected the artist before, you can give it more time with more listens (to break its surface) before making a judgement. If it still doesn’t, yes, maybe you can try in another time in your life. Personally, as I said before, this album is a treasure (and will defend it to death if necessary )
Old 10-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm, well I'm 18 and love the album but I hope I'm not going through a midlife crisis! lol
Old 10-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhector View Post
IMO this is the surface of the album (whispery vocals, loud electronic fx, fewer elements than before..). Once you don’t have a problem with that you’ll be able to let the music say things to you –eer get it under the skin . A lot more things actually than if this album was “correctly sung”, “correctly produced”, and talked about usual nonsenses, like the 95% (98%? ) of the rest of today’s music. Lindsey has done it personal, and just said what he felt the need to say today, with not much ties to how one is supposed to do things.

But this is part of what “rock & roll” is: the first Velvet Underground album and its hypnotic two chord songs, Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds talking about intimate weaknesses for the first time and exploring new sonorities, or Kraftwerk’s refusal to use traditional (non electronic) instruments and having to invent new technologies from scratch: not doing the things as you’re supposed to.

In this album, Lindsey talks about his life and most of all about his family, puts family photos in the booklet and family videos in the web as if they were “his band”, sings with the heart in a nude and crude way without caring if it sounds “normal” or polite, plays the guitar with virtuosism but lets get in an error or two without problems, and plays with his favourite effect machines as if they were just another instrument. He invents, takes risks, is still a transgressor, but is not talking about drugs or sex or politics, only about his family and new life, and his own career. Why not? These are the things that matter to him today.

I mean, who liked and fully understood Tusk musically at first listen? Certainly not me, it was a slow process to let the most riskier songs grow to understand it was something valuable. Today I can appreciate Lindsey’s new work in less time, because after all this years I think I can connect better with his methods (and learn from them all the time, music and production being also part of my life) and changes of direction. Although it’s been a progressive process, with the leaking demos.. and culminating in listening the actual cd in its full quality (mp3 can’t make justice to this work, you loose lots of nuances).

In a way, I think I love Lindsey’s work for very different reasons I love Stevie’s. I totally understand, of course, that someone can like her, or the band, and not Lindsey, or the other way round. It’s fascinating overall: part of Lindsey’s “failure” as a solo artist is that his potential audience is different of FM’s. And every audience type has its prejudices, so it's difficult to fit anywhere.

After all the bla, bla, bla.. I think there’s only one way: you put the CD, and it says and makes you feel things to you, or not. If you respected the artist before, you can give it more time with more listens (to break its surface) before making a judgement. If it still doesn’t, yes, maybe you can try in another time in your life. Personally, as I said before, this album is a treasure (and will defend it to death if necessary )
My man!! I can't get much closer to total agreement here.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhector View Post

I can't really add anything to this. When I first heard the disc.. hell, when I first heard Shut Us Down.. I knew it'd be hard for a lot of people to digest. But I'm like.. Lindsey to the core.. and it only took me a minute, thankfully.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

I finally got the album from Barnes and Noble...I have to say, I quite love it. I was surprised to find how much I like it, considering the mixed reviews here.

Not Too Late--great guitar parts
Show You How--Dont care for this one
Under the Skin--great guitar parts and great lyrics. I even like his voice on this one
I Am Waiting--the only flaw here is that Stevie's backing vocal is missing
It Was You--dont care for this one
Try For the Sun--GREAT song. Superb guitar. Love the lyrics and what they SEEM to say
Cast Away Dreams--very OOTC to me...I like it
Shut Us Down---not too bad
Down on Rodeo--my favorite I think, very FMac-ish
Somebody's Gotta Change Your Mind--like it
Flying Down Juniper--dont know why but this one made me cry. Twice.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Question

at the end of Down on Rodeo does Lindsey say "Can you hear me Annie?" If so, what the hell does that mean? And who is Annie?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Some songs from the GOS material are reported to refer to Anne Heche. LB stated that Come was about her, so I guess DOR is too.