The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Nightwatch or Revelation?
Revelation 7 41.18%
Nightwatch 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I always thought Say You Love Me was her first hit?
I remember her having hits way back in 1968 with "When The Train Comes Back" and "I'd Rather Go Blind", being a member of Chicken Shack.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by missus View Post
Christine had SO many songs , in those days , that could have/should have..been
"hits"...."Why", and "Remember Me" among them.........The fact that she DIDN'T "score" until "Over My Head", remains, and will remain, a "mystery to me" ;-)

Bob Welch(missus)
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Homeward Bound
Remember Me
Dissatisfied
Did You Ever Love Me?
Just Crazy Love
Believe Me
Why
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Come A Little Bit Closer

All, to my ears, had "hit" potential...and aren't that far off from having a similar sound to her later songs that WERE hits ("Over My Head", "Say You Love Me", "Don't Stop", etc.)

Same thing with Bonnie Raitt back when she hit big with her Nick Of Time album...it didn't have a radically different sound than the previous 9 albums she'd released, in fact, it pretty much sounded JUST like her previous albums...yet it struck platinum, the others were fairly obscure. (except her Sweet Forgiveness album had the minor hit with her cool, bluesy cover of Del Shannon's "Runaway")

Last edited by chiliD; 08-05-2008 at 12:15 PM..
Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I always thought Say You Love Me was her first hit?

Nope..."Over My Head" 1st # 1 single...

Bob Welch(missus)
Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nope..."Over My Head" 1st # 1 single...

Bob Welch(missus)
Christine even says as much on the Fleetwood Mac Live version of that song, where she introduces it as "The first single we ever had from the, uh, White Fleetwood Mac album."

You're so right about some of those early songs of hers--and a few by you and Kirwan. FM in those days was making great, relevant music. Why weren't more people listening?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When I tell people Fleetwood Mac was once a psychedelic band they haven't a clue what I'm talking about, and I play "Night Watch" for them and they go "Oh .... now I get it."

I've always had a liking for the psychedelic side of Fleetwood Mac, but I like the Mac in its pop mood even more. So my vote goes to "Revelation." I really like the drumming in that song.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Ledgie

Aleuzzi said:"You're so right about some of those early songs of hers--and a few by you and Kirwan. FM in those days was making great, relevant music. Why weren't more people listening?"

Aleuzzi....Luck....timing...which side of the bed the promotion man got up on , on a particular morning......Given a level playing field (i.e....the music is "good, accessible "etc).....the music business ....is like going to Vegas...a total crapshoot, even for the "best" players;-)It's 50-50 odds. 50-50 +1......is the "hit"....

Bob Welch (missus)
Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Aleuzzi said:"You're so right about some of those early songs of hers--and a few by you and Kirwan. FM in those days was making great, relevant music. Why weren't more people listening?"

Aleuzzi....Luck....timing...which side of the bed the promotion man got up on , on a particular morning......Given a level playing field (i.e....the music is "good, accessible "etc).....the music business ....is like going to Vegas...a total crapshoot, even for the "best" players;-)It's 50-50 odds. 50-50 +1......is the "hit".... I was about 16 at that time...

Bob Welch (missus)
I used to love when I would watch a Cleveland Indians game.. they would cut to the commerical break with Ebony Eyes... I was the only kid on the block that knew who the artist was... but everyone knew the song...... that's good promo

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 08-05-2008 at 06:33 PM..
Old 08-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Nightwatch is what I quintessentially LOVE about Bob Welch. I love the very meandering ethereal songs of his like this one. Makes me wish that he and Stevie could have worked within the confines of the Mac together at their prime. Coulda been some groovy stuff!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Nightwatch is what I quintessentially LOVE about Bob Welch. I love the very meandering ethereal songs of his like this one. Makes me wish that he and Stevie could have worked within the confines of the Mac together at their prime. Coulda been some groovy stuff!
You know, you really hit the nail on the head with that one! Bright Fire is another great song from Penguin I should've included in this poll.