Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Moz, Keep going with the timeline! Don't let our frequent two cents and comments for revision deter you! I want to see more
Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Right now I'm going through Mick's book, finding more information. Hopefully I'll be able to update it during the weekend,

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 01-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah take all the time you need, the old guard and true Mac faithful aren't going anywhere - and we blow the pants off all those Stevie drones found ruminating elsewhere (across the hall). Ha!

Keep an eye out in whatever source material you have for where Kiln House was recorded. That one really interests me, though I'm not sure why.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ETA: Added dates for Jan. 25 and Feb. 5, 6, 7 1969 to the timeline (first post on first page).

I took a peek at my Kiln House LP and, unsurprisingly, it didn't say where it was recorded. Hopefully Mick's book will give some clues.

About the Dragonfly single: I found this at this site : They also released a single at that time; "Dragonfly" b/w "The Purple Dancer" in the U.K. and certain European countries. The single was not a success and the B-side has only been reissued once, on a Reprise German-only "Best of" album, making it one of their most obscure songs.
I found a release date of March 5, 1971. Does that sound right?

From this site, more about Christine joining the band: Christine made her first appearance with the band at Bristol University in May 1969 just as she was leaving Chicken Shack. She had had success with the Etta James classic, "I'd Rather Go Blind", and was twice voted female artist of the year in England. Christine McVie played her first gig as an official member on August 6, 1970 in New Orleans.
August 6! I don't know if that's correct, but it's quite close to the guesstimation (I hate that word) of August 1.

Peter filling in after Jeremy left: Liable for the remaining shows on the tour they convinced Peter Green to help finish the tour. He brought along his friend, Nigel Watson, who played the congas (twenty-five years later Green and Watson would collaborate again to form the Peter Green Splinter Group).
Is this true?

As for finishing this timeline, I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. The rest of the information I have yet to post on here are tidbits from '67-73 and everything from 1974 (since this is the pre-Rumours forum, I won't write up the stuff after Stevie and Lindsey joined). Should I continue on and add solo albums and other works Pete, Danny, Jeremy, etc. released after 1974? And what about Mick's albums, John's cd, and Christine's albums? I mean, they were in the pre-Rumours Fleetwood Mac. I'm also considering adding albums John Mayall recorded, and personal information, like when the band members were married, but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in seeing that.

And a completely unrelated question: What albums came with inserts/lyric sheets? I have the original version of Mystery to Me with "Good Things (Come To Those That Wait", but no lyric sheet (grieve_not, a member of livejournal.com, said so).

And memorabilia and merchandise--what was made? I know Peter had a sticker that said "Fleetwood Mac is swift" on a guitar case, there were two Penguin-era bumper stickers, and on the back of Heroes Are Hard to Find, Bob is wearing a shirt that simply reads "Fleetwood Mac".

EDIT: I got a usb record player for Christmas, so I am able to transfer records to mp3 format. I'd like to get "Good Things" up here for people to download, since it was never released on CD (as far as I know). If it's not on CD, it's not commercially available, so... my question is: would I get in trouble (from mods, admin, etc.) if I posted it here? And what other songs would I be able to upload?

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."

Last edited by Moz; 01-08-2009 at 09:40 PM..
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Peter filling in after Jeremy left: Liable for the remaining shows on the tour they convinced Peter Green to help finish the tour. He brought along his friend, Nigel Watson, who played the congas (twenty-five years later Green and Watson would collaborate again to form the Peter Green Splinter Group).
Is this true?
Yes - that's pretty well documented. You can hear Watson on congas (presumably that's him on congas) during the extended jam of Tell Me All The Things You Do on the bootleg recording of part of the 19 February 1971 San Bernardino show.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Ledgie

Default List of Mac concerts with dates

As listed on Dinkys world

http://www.dinkysworld.com/fleetwood%20mac%20gigs.htm

Hope this helps...
Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Ledgie

Default PG with Nigel Watson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Watson_(musician)

After Green left Fleetwood Mac in 1970, he worked with Watson on two solo singles, Heavy Heart and Beasts of Burden, the latter being credited to both musicians. Watson also accompanied Green as conga player on a tour of the United States with Fleetwood Mac, after Jeremy Spencer left the band and they asked Green to fill in and help them fulfil their tour obligations. Watson was at that time the brother-in-law of Fleetwood Mac's manager Clifford Davis.

In 1996, Watson and Green started working together again, and Watson was influential in persuading Green to return to music after he had been musically idle for several years. They formed the Peter Green Splinter Group, and released several albums over the following few years until the group split in 2004. Green was not always comfortable taking centre-stage when playing live, and Watson provided an extra focus onstage, singing as well as playing lead guitar. He also composed many songs recorded for the albums.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
As listed on Dinkys world

http://www.dinkysworld.com/fleetwood%20mac%20gigs.htm

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the Dinly link!
Allowed me to clear up a few mysteries.
The list seems slightly incomplete, though.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
I took a peek at my Kiln House LP and, unsurprisingly, it didn't say where it was recorded. Hopefully Mick's book will give some clues.
Where is Jeremy when you need him? Probably off in Norway recording more sweet blues licks with Liland & Co! I'm gonna have to ask a few old friends if I can track them down, as we need to fish this out once and for all.

I found a release date [for Dragonfly" b/w "The Purple Dancer] of March 5, 1971. Does that sound right?

Sounds about right, though these tracks may have been recorded during the previous year.

As for finishing this timeline, I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. I won't write up the stuff after Stevie and Lindsey joined.

Best left for another day, another time indeed.

Should I continue on and add solo albums and other works Pete, Danny, Jeremy, etc. released after 1974?

Well at least through the 70's if nothing else, since all of their early solo projects happened during that time period. After that it may become more "extraneous."

And what about Mick's albums, John's cd, and Christine's albums? I mean, they were in the pre-Rumours Fleetwood Mac.

Again, probably best left with a cut off date at the end of the 70's (imo). Christine Perfect is perfect, but not so sure about Mick's Zoo, as it is more associated with B&N era links and personnel. Others may see this in another way though.

I'm also considering adding albums John Mayall recorded, and personal information, like when the band members were married, but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in seeing that.

I wouldn't trail off too much on Herr Mayall either, short of noting his Bluesbreakers front as being the genesis and starting point of the Mac foundation. JM is a story all by his lonesome, one as diverse and roller-coastered in its telling as the Mac. That fire he suffered in '79 in Laurel Canyon here in SoCal could be a chapter all of its own! As for FM band members' marriages, I see no reason why not.

Inserts/lyric sheets, memorabilia and merchandise -- all good stuff, but may get a bit extraneous again, especially for a timeline. One need look no further than eBay for more on this of course. However Bob's "Fleetwood Mac" T shirt is signature cool as can be (he does it such modest and indentured justice).

We really need to get him one titled "Fleetwood Mac HOF Leftover"
Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post

Inserts/lyric sheets, memorabilia and merchandise -- all good stuff, but may get a bit extraneous again, especially for a timeline. One need look no further than eBay for more on this of course. However Bob's "Fleetwood Mac" T shirt is signature cool as can be (he does it such modest and indentured justice).
Nah, I wasn't going to add that to the timeline, I was just curious about it!