Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Neil Murray on PG

This is an excerpt from Classic Rock Revisited's interview with Neil Murray, by Jeb Wright.

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/...ilmurray09.htm

Jeb: You don’t get enough credit for getting together with Peter Green. You and Cozy helped bring him back. Peter is a guy who had been to hell and back.

Neil: I don’t think he ever really came all the way back. In the early days of that project, Peter was extremely fragile and was hardly giving anything of himself either vocally or musically. I am not a true, dyed in the wool, blues bass player and Cozy was not a true blues drummer. If Peter had been playing with people who were like that then it would have collapsed onto itself. But, later on, we got criticized for being too heavy handed. They said you can’t have heavy metal players in the blues. If you came to see the band in a theater then I would say that the bass and drums were quite heavy. We had Peter Green up at the microphone and he is virtually inaudible because he is not producing any sounds from his mouth. The same was true with his guitar playing. He was so delicate. To be honest, the audience was really hoping for 1967 Fleetwood Mac, which they were never going to get.

I do have to admit that Peter Green is amazing as a blues man. He can do things light years beyond what I can do in terms of sensitivity and feel; he has huge amounts of feel. That part never went away but his powerful and charismatic side of him has gone away. It was a frustrating period. Cozy lasted longer than he probably thought he was going to. Brian May decided to go back on the road, this is shortly after Cozy died, so I left. We really didn’t get much credit for helping Peter out. There were also business problems as well, which I won’t go into here. It was never going to be a very successful venture, I am afraid.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
This is an excerpt from Classic Rock Revisited's interview with Neil Murray, by Jeb Wright.

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/...ilmurray09.htm

Jeb: You don’t get enough credit for getting together with Peter Green. You and Cozy helped bring him back. Peter is a guy who had been to hell and back.

Neil: I don’t think he ever really came all the way back. In the early days of that project, Peter was extremely fragile and was hardly giving anything of himself either vocally or musically.....It was never going to be a very successful venture, I am afraid.
thanks m. very interesting. there a bit more here from a few years back.

http://dmme.net/interviews/nmurray.html

similar. he does say that playing with peter green was more 'curious' than playing with arthur brown!

oh yeah, one more thing, whitesnake!
Old 05-08-2009, 04:45 AM
Senior Ledgie

I saw him on the splinters first tour he was very solid although he looked a little odd i guess, well the splinter group were never going to be the next take that so i guess looks dont matter.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmanastrat View Post
I saw him on the splinters first tour he was very solid although he looked a little odd i guess, well the splinter group were never going to be the next take that so i guess looks dont matter.
and bright, not your typical metal guy. the connection to splinter group was cozy powell as neil and c were very close. the cozy connection i've never seen mentioned anywhere but i always assumed it was through gary moore. zero

ps- whitesnake!