User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Fleetwood Mac - Copenhagen - 1968-11-17 torrent

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=270814

Another re-seed... this one originally uploaded by EarCandy in 2006 & hard to find these days.

The earliest Danny Kirwan show I've come across, and the band are in fine form.

From EarCandy's original notes--

AUD
grade B (vocals a bit boomy but guitars clear & upfront)
lineage: cdr trade (unknown gen) > EAC (secure mode) > Flac (level 8)

note: very slight tape mangle on track 6 @ 2:53-2:55

1.Jumping At Shadows
2.Rolling Man
3.Something Inside Of Me
4.Like It This Way
5.Got To Move
6.Albatross
7.Homework
8.San Ho Say
9.Everyday I Have The Blues
10.My Baby's Sweet

Peter announces after tk7, that that is the end of set 1 and they
will resume after short break. This seems to indicate that
tks 8,9,10 are an incomplete 2nd set but all that was taped
(at least with this version).

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What's the earliest version of "Albatross" that anyone has? This must be one of the earliest.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The date listed for the above show is almost definitely incorrect - the set list is one clue as to that - more likely, if the show was in fact recorded in Copenhagen, April of 1969would be the most likely date -
As to the earliest recordings of 'Albatross', the studio recording is dated as October 8 1969 and they recorded it for the BBC the day after. Shame they didn't wait a bit as that version is something of a train wreck (see "Live at the BBC")
The earliest concert version is on the "Shrine '69" CD - a tremendous improvement!

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 10-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
The date listed for the above show is almost definitely incorrect - the set list is one clue as to that - more likely, if the show was in fact recorded in Copenhagen, April of 1969would be the most likely date -
As to the earliest recordings of 'Albatross', the studio recording is dated as October 8 1969 and they recorded it for the BBC the day after.

Not sure if you have mistyped, as "Albatross" was released on 23 November 1968, with first BBC broadcast on 5th November 1968. So had been out for nearly a year by October 1969.

Also not sure about your take on the date. According to Christopher Hjort's book, the band did indeed play Copenhagen on this date, where they shared the bill with Chicken Shack and Rory Gallagher's band Taste, who stole the show. A review of Mac's 17 Nov 1968 show (included in Hjort's book) says, "Their 'Albatross' came off as a maudlin Mantovani number."

Thus, it looks like this Copenhagen show may indeed be the earliest "Albatross" boot we have, coming five days before the official release of the single on 23 November 1968.

Also on this boot, Danny's "Like it this way" is in its infancy. The verses are in a different order here and the distinctive "closing riff" is at the beginning of the song. For example we can hear this "closing riff" moved to its usual place at the end of the song by the time of band plays the College for the Distributive Trades just a few months later on 14th March 1969, after which time the verses are also in the proper order.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good catch - yes that was a typo concerning the BBC performance of 'Albatross' -
however, I do stand by the idea that the show in question is more likely from May of 1969 -

I would say that the reviews quoted in Hjort's book actually lends further credence to the idea that this recording is from the later date -
they play well, but don't sound particularly inspired. During the seemingly endless tune-up at the start of the show, (the show is repeatedly brought to a grinding halt as the band retunes during this particular set) Green tells the audience, “…this is going to be a very casual evening, we’re going to do what we like and you do what you like…” before opening the show with Bennett’s ‘Jumping at Shadows’, hardly what one would expect from the headliners after a high energy performance by a band on the undercard.
Green might not have ever wanted to be a "guitar God" but he had enough professional pride to not allow himself to be upstaged that easily.

Further undercutting the probability of these numbers having been recorded on the night in question, is the fact that it is obviously a non-English speaking M.C. who brings the band on, introducing them as “The Peter Green” (as the band is tuning, Green also uses the time to introduce each of the members of “Fleetwood Mac” individually). Mike Vernon, had joined them for these dates to act as the compre for the shows, and he can be clearly heard making the introductions at the show recorded in Orebro, that November.

the set list also has more in common with other shows from the spring of '69 - the two in Holland (see 'Roughage '69') and the College of Distributive Trades -

Just somethings to consider

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's all pretty hard to figure out

I also have "Albatross" as being recorded on 8 October 1968, along with "Jigsaw Puzzle Blues". Two days earlier, they had laid down "One Sunny Day", "Without You" and "Something Inside of Me". The only other Kirwan songs that I know were doing the rounds at this time were "Like Crying" (still something of a work in progress at that point), "Talk With You", and "Mind of My Own", which Danny wrote before he joined (as far as I know).

I had thought that "Like It This Way" came along a little later, and I guess November '68 could be about right. It is also of course on the Blues Jam at Chess set, from 4 January 1969. If the Copenhagen "Like It This Way" is clearly an earlier version (and I haven't heard it yet), then it must predate the Chess session, no?

The other thing I wondered about this Copenhagen set is that there's nothing from 'Then Play On' on there. If it had dated from May '69, I just wonder if they might have aired something from the new group of songs they were working on. They had been doing "Before the Beginning" before this time - it's on Shrine '69 from Jan. '69 - although it's not on Roughage (April '69).
Old 10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
It's all pretty hard to figure out

The other thing I wondered about this Copenhagen set is that there's nothing from 'Then Play On' on there. If it had dated from May '69, I just wonder if they might have aired something from the new group of songs they were working on. They had been doing "Before the Beginning" before this time - it's on Shrine '69 from Jan. '69 - although it's not on Roughage (April '69).
The Roughage is, contrary to what is stated elsewehere, not from april '69. It's a combination of two shows (Amsterdam and Den Haag), both feb. 28 (well, actually Den Haag started at 0.00 hours on march 1).
Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
The Roughage is, contrary to what is stated elsewehere, not from april '69. It's a combination of two shows (Amsterdam and Den Haag), both feb. 28 (well, actually Den Haag started at 0.00 hours on march 1).
That actually makes more sense. Hadn't they started doing "ComingYour Way" by April '69? (Royal Albert Hall, 22 April) - unless I have that date wrong too

We should really set down properly the earliest dates we have for each song. Or might that be too anal?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
I remember you listed Den Haag as "1969-04-20", what made you change to "0.00 hours on march 1", just curious.... :-)

/z
Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Copenhagen shows

I think we had this discussion here some time ago. I have been searching like mad but cannot find the thread. It's probably one of those 'threads within thread'. I remember making a (thoroughly anal retentive ) list of all Fleetwood Macs shows in DK to try and figure out what was what and posting it here.

I don't think FM played "Jumping at Shadows" live until sometime in 1969. Also Mike Vernon acted as compere at the '68 show in Copenhagen, whereas the 25th of March '69 show clearly had a danish compere (actually someone called Hans Otto Bisgaard). I remember one of the ledgies sending a soundbite for us scandinavians to desipher when we last discussed this, and the compere clearly had a very danish accent. Still I agree that the rest of the songs are more like their '68 live material, though.

The journalist who wrote about the concert in one of the major newpapers said that the concert ('69) was quite boring and uninspired until they played 'Tallahassee Lassie', 'Great Balls of Fire' and 'Long Tall Sally'. I don't see these songs on Estranged4life setlist. Maybe that's why the second set is incomplete?

About the lack of material from 'Then Play On': as far as I can see Hjort makes a note that only four days of recording is booked at De Lane Lea Studio (between the 18th to 21st of February 1969), before they have to go on the road again (just being back from the US tour). After a gruelling tour of Europe and Scandinavia they go back to recording on the 18th of April and through the summer.
(This is a schedule from Hell, no wonder they went mad).

Ms Moose
Old 10-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
I remember you listed Den Haag as "1969-04-20", what made you change to "0.00 hours on march 1", just curious.... :-)

/z
Just for the record, I made a mistake . Den Haag was earlier (20:00 hours?) and Amsterdam followed at 24:00 hours. So just the other way around.

Dinky Dawson's list helped me back on the track there:

Feb 28 Amsterdam Concertgebouw
Feb 28 Den Haag Concertgebouw
Mar 1 Groningen Korenbeurs (see attachment 1)
Mar 2 Rotterdam De Doelen

In 1969 I lived in Rotterdam and went to that show. A couple weeks later the Den Haag show was on Dutch television and I recorded it with a microphone held to the TV set.

Right now (well, since 1971) I live in Groningen. Friends here tell me what that show was like..... After about half an hour the electricity was shut off because the stage manager felt the band played too loud. Just imagine....

And of course the poster for the Amsterdam show helped a lot (see attachment 2)

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FM Korenbeurs Groningen, 1969-03-01.jpg (74.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg FM Amsterdam.jpg (95.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Wouter!

Maybe my memory is out of order, but I think someone pulled the plug when Hendrix played Stockholm 1970...., anyway those were the days when plugs were pulled
Old 10-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
Thanks Wouter!

Maybe my memory is out of order, but I think someone pulled the plug when Hendrix played Stockholm 1970...., anyway those were the days when plugs were pulled
No plug was actually pulled, but Hendrix had a row with the organiser at Gröna Lund who told him he could only play one hour as the tivoli would lose money otherwise...
Stupid, stupid.

Last edited by dino; 10-15-2009 at 04:08 PM..