The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tornado in Orange County-Seal Beach, Huntinton beach, and Fountain Valley

I am surprised no one posted this or talked about it today here on the ledge. Was anyone aware of the tornado here in Orange County today? I don't know about anybody else in the are, but I was freaked out!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sywlindseyfan View Post
I am surprised no one posted this or talked about it today here on the ledge. Was anyone aware of the tornado here in Orange County today? I don't know about anybody else in the are, but I was freaked out!!!!!!!!!!
What type of damage did it do? Tornado's in that part of the country are unheard of.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, very unheard of, i hadn't been that scared in a while. Well We had bad hard rain, which even that we haven't had. There was a tornado spotted right off on Sunset Beach coming ashore lifting boats out of the water. I am not too sure how long it stayed on land, butsomebodys car flipped over, haha. Then the strong winds moved in to Huntington Beach (where I live), Fountain Valley and continued up wards North East.

There is a lot of flooding. by my sisters work there is a freeway overpass, and underneath it, it was so flooded cars couldn't move or get out, so people were passing their kids to other people through their windows. Hopefully tomorrow won't be too bad, because that's when the real storm is suppose to be here.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm nearby. It's one of those "cold-weather" tornadoes that occur every so often when these colder Pacific storms blow through.

I've seen tornadoes & funnel clouds (which are tornadoes that have not touched ground) in Southern California several times over the years, from Irvine to Riverside to San Diego. They are never the F4 or F5 super-cell monsters that roar through Tornado Alley. They are much weaker storms -- you sometimes hear that they tore a roof of a building (years ago, a tornado damaged the roof on the Los Angeles Sports Arena) or tore up some large trees.

No biggie.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I'm nearby. It's one of those "cold-weather" tornadoes that occur every so often when these colder Pacific storms blow through.

I've seen tornadoes & funnel clouds (which are tornadoes that have not touched ground) in Southern California several times over the years, from Irvine to Riverside to San Diego. They are never the F4 or F5 super-cell monsters that roar through Tornado Alley. They are much weaker storms -- you sometimes hear that they tore a roof of a building (years ago, a tornado damaged the roof on the Los Angeles Sports Arena) or tore up some large trees.

No biggie.
That's a shame the whole building wasn't destroyed. The Sports Arena should be demolished now with Staples and Galen Center in use.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

No biggie.
Although, some pictures of the water spout off of Seal Beach about 2pm yesterday was pretty impressive. Guess the Peter's Landing shopping center in Huntington Harbour got messed up pretty good.

Why would ANYONE want to buy a house on the beach off the south side of the Seal Beach pier? (Or in Sunset Beach, for that matter)?

The 710 fwy between Willow St & PCH was flooded 6' deep.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's spread! There are tornado warnings in my area (Santa Clara County). People are freaking out.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

for all their earthquake nonchalance, southern californians sure do freak out about rain.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
for all their earthquake nonchalance, southern californians sure do freak out about rain.
Yeah, earthquakes are seriously nothing here. The other day, I was in my English class and midway through a lecture, the classroom starts shaking for like, 10 seconds. My teacher stopped talking for a second, looked around and said, "was that an earthquake or did Mr. Bradford (the teacher next door) just throw a kid against the wall?". Everyone just laughed and continued their day. I donno, it just seems that earthquakes really don't cause that much damage typically. Obviously there are exceptions to that (Loma Prieta, anyone?), but they are a pretty frequent thing (every few months) so no one really cares anymore. But we hear "tornadoes" and automatically think that we're about to be thrust into "The Wizard of Oz" mode or something.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
That's a shame the whole building wasn't destroyed. The Sports Arena should be demolished now with Staples and Galen Center in use.
Eh, it (along with the Forum) still serves a purpose for concerts. Galen Center is certainly nice & modern, but on the smaller side. Staples Center is the busiest venue of its size in North America (plus, some acts- such as Bruce Springsteen- hate/refuse to play Staples)
Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Eh, it (along with the Forum) still serves a purpose for concerts. Galen Center is certainly nice & modern, but on the smaller side. Staples Center is the busiest venue of its size in North America (plus, some acts- such as Bruce Springsteen- hate/refuse to play Staples)
The Forum is now some kind of bible church. I think it, along with Hollywood Park will be redevloped in a few years. HP is supposed to be closing by year end.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
The Forum is now some kind of bible church. I think it, along with Hollywood Park will be redevloped in a few years. HP is supposed to be closing by year end.
They've had a bunch of shows over the last few years, though (Madonna, Pearl Jam, etc.)... at least it seemed that way. Maybe the IATSE lockout put the kibosh on concerts for good.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I found some video footage.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Interesting...

that CA is getting tornadoes and OK is having earthquakes...Someone has a weird sense of humor in the regard of nature.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

apparently i jinxed myself because i almost got squashed like a bug while getting on the 10 yesterday in the rain.