User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRobert View Post
Yeah I prefer this... with Cheaper Than Free hacked off obviously so it ends on Italian Summer like it should
No no no! I know that Cheaper Than Free doesn't get much love around here, but I think it's perfect to end the CD wtih Italian Summer then Cheaper Than Free. It's like sex. Italian Summer builds to the big dramatic climax of the album, and Cheaper than Free is the relaxing, dirty cigarette to end the whole affair :-)

(I think someone else on here made a similar analogy once, so I cannot take full credit!)

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me, I prefer the final CD track sequence. New Orleans thru Soldier's Angel is fantastic (including My Heart). To be honest, I have only listened to IYD front to back, sequenced this entire time.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
No no no! I know that Cheaper Than Free doesn't get much love around here, but I think it's perfect to end the CD wtih Italian Summer then Cheaper Than Free. It's like sex. Italian Summer builds to the big dramatic climax of the album, and Cheaper than Free is the relaxing, dirty cigarette to end the whole affair :-)

(I think someone else on here made a similar analogy once, so I cannot take full credit!)
I agree. Cheaper Than Free ends the album beautifully. It's a sweet little tune if I do say so myself. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something is a tiny bit off regarding the final track sequencing. I cannot help but think that the acetate version is what Stevie originally intended, and the label intervened or suggested and ultimately made some changes. Regardless, this album is tight and a wholly conceived work of music that plays beautifully even when it's on shuffle. I think that in itself is a testament to how good this record is.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I agree as well. My brother got this album from me and turns out his favorites are the country-ish ones: For What It's Worth and Cheaper Than Free. I got a chuckle out of him grading Moonlight a B and Cheaper Than Free an A- but whatever.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I don't think Cheaper Than Free is a great song, but it definitely has it's place on the album. Kinda like the Highwayman wound down and ended Bella Donna, Cheaper Than Free winds down and closes In Your Dreams. I've said it quite a few times, In Your Dreams is really meant to be heard as a full work. It takes all the puzzle pieces to make a full picture. 'For What It's Worth,' Cheaper Than Free is a piece of that puzzle.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That was me...
Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So, on this track listing, where would you put "My Heart"?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebise View Post
So, on this track listing, where would you put "My Heart"?
I wouldn't, this new My Heart doesn't exist for me. I'm forever partial to the TISL version (the way it was meant to be).
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Again I say......Ax SL AND CTF all together you got a PERFECT album......Especially with that track order...wow

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 05-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I wouldn't, this new My Heart doesn't exist for me. I'm forever partial to the TISL version (the way it was meant to be).
Well, I love the TISL version, too, but I'm using all released tracks so far.

I put "My Heart" between "Everybody Loves You" and "Wide Sargasso Sea".

I really like this order! "Annabel Lee" sounds great nearer to the ending of the album. And I also think "Cheaper Than Free" is a perfect album ender.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow! I also love the sequencing on the acetate version! I listened to it that way myself and thought it was so much better. The ending to Secret Love goes perfectly with the beginning of Everybody Loves You!

GoldDustOrphan, you'll have to let us know if any of the mixes are different when you receive it in the mail. I'd be interested to know if any of them are.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, GoldDustOrphan, for sharing the info about this! Like most of you, I have also played around with the track order. I also think I like the acetate order better than the released one.... BUT, I still would make one change and switch "Wide Sargasso Sea" & "Everybody Loves You".

I LOVE having WSS follow "Secret Love"... particularly with the ending of "Secret Love". For me, it works PERFECTLY! The only trouble with this is ELY doesn't sound that great immediately following WSS... but if there is a little track silence between them, it works alright.

Last edited by jeffd8382; 05-19-2011 at 01:40 PM..
Old 05-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

agreed. it took me a couple of listens to "get" Cheaper Than Free, but once I got an emotion in me from the song, I loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I keep trying to make My Heart 2011 happen and it's hard. TISL My Heart is so much better.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Again I say......Ax SL AND CTF all together you got a PERFECT album......Especially with that track order...wow

Mick
I could never ax Secret Love or Cheaper Than Free (they are good songs ) but then again I know how you feel about long albums I think they axed the right song with "My Heart" and making it THE exclusive bonus track - though I do not like it sequenced in the middle of the record after Annabel Lee. I resequenced it on my Ipod at the end, because it's the one and only song I skip on the entire record.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw this acetate, and almost bid on it but decided not too since I'm supposed to be spending less money, blah blah blah.

I'll try out the re-sequence as well, I think just from looking at it that I like it better.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case