User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
It's a defect in the sense that society as a whole does not welcome it or attempt to understand it on an intellectual level.

.....and 1 out of 10 of the families will have a homosexual child. Being conservative doesn't mean you are immune to having one.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
It's a defect in the sense that society as a whole does not welcome it or attempt to understand it on an intellectual level.
???
So if they don't 'understand it on an intellectual level' then they're automatically an idiot??

enough already.
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Exactly, dissention. That's what I was trying to point out to Hilary. By saying that all people who disagree with gay marriage don't understand homosexuality, she was lumping those people together. We both know that's fallacious.
I see your point there. I agree with that. So, I submit that it's not as simple as I said it was.
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
I still don't understand how opposing gay marriage automatically means that you hate that person too? I don't understand that logic at all!
Hillary (I hope you don't mind me speaking for you) feels to be fully happy she needs to get married someday. Getting married isn't allowed her so she isn't happy. The people who make it illegal are denying her a civil right. This is discriminatory and the people who create these laws and support them are discrimating. Discrimination is an insidious form of hatred. I see you are not a hateful person, I am just trying to explain. If you try to put yourself in the other's shoes you may be able to see it.

On a personal level, I am sorry if I seemed mean or hurtful toward you, Brown Eyes because that is not something I would be proud of. Politically, I agree to disagree with you. Emotionally, the things you say seem to "hook me" and I get all riled up. So I don't think I can debate you on these issues in a healthy way. It seemed like you were intentionally baiting me and others and if you weren't then it might be a good idea to choose your words a little more carefully and I will try to abide by my own advice.

And Hill, please don't let other people's opinions make you unhappy, it isn't worth it!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
.....and 1 out of 10 of the families will have a homosexual child. Being conservative doesn't mean you are immune to having one.
Lord hear my prayer, may all conservatives have gay offspring...
Old 01-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly, dissention. That's what I was trying to point out to Hilary. By saying that all people who disagree with gay marriage don't understand homosexuality, she was lumping those people together. We both know that's fallacious.
I agree. But I think Hillary was specifically referring exclusively to heterosexual people. Gay men and women oppose gay marriage for a myriad of reasons, but on a whole, they are not the reasons that heterosexual people do. Heterosexuals oppose gay marriage based on things such as religion, change, how they think society should evolve, and sheer disgust. I've met gay men who oppose gay marriage simply because they don't want to get married and because they don't want anything that others feel they shouldn't rightfully have. For many, it's an issue of pride and not being welcomed.

Heterosexuals, IMO, oppose it for the many reasons I posted, but I think they all have the same root: fear and/or disgust.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I see your point there. I agree with that. So, I submit that it's not as simple as I said it was.
OK. Oh, and I just realized I've been spelling your name wrong, Hillary. I apologize. I'd go back and edit but dissention hates it when I do that.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB
???
So if they don't 'understand it on an intellectual level' then they're automatically an idiot??

enough already.
When it comes to understanding homosexuality, I'd substitute the word "ignorant." But we all know that ignorance breeds idiocy eventually.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Hillary (I hope you don't mind me speaking for you) feels to be fully happy she needs to get married someday. Getting married isn't allowed her so she isn't happy. The people who make it illegal are denying her a civil right. This is discriminatory and the people who create these laws and support them are discrimating. Discrimination is an insidious form of hatred. I see you are not a hateful person, I am just trying to explain. If you try to put yourself in the other's shoes you may be able to see it.

On a personal level, I am sorry if I seemed mean or hurtful toward you, Brown Eyes because that is not something I would be proud of. Politically, I agree to disagree with you. Emotionally, the things you say seem to "hook me" and I get all riled up. So I don't think I can debate you on these issues in a healthy way. It seemed like you were intentionally baiting me and others and if you weren't then it might be a good idea to choose your words a little more carefully and I will try to abide by my own advice.

And Hill, please don't let other people's opinions make you unhappy, it isn't worth it!
thats respectful, thanks for trying to understand that I wasn't trying to PERSONALLY upset you guys!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OK. Oh, and I just realized I've been spelling your name wrong, Hillary. I apologize. I'd go back and edit but dissention hates it when I do that.
Now that's something I HATE.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Something weird

I can't call up the previous Dan Rather discussions on this search engine. It rejects the search terms "dan" and "rather" and "CBS" as too short or too common. Bizarre!

Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's okay.
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When it comes to understanding homosexuality, I'd substitute the word "ignorant." But we all know that ignorance breeds idiocy eventually.
But I personally think that as long as American is a christian dominated society then gay marriage will never be offically legalized in most places! Because so many christians disagree with it.
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Where do they think all these gay men and women come from in the first place?!

Old 01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can't call up the previous Dan Rather discussions on this search engine. It rejects the search terms "dan" and "rather" and "CBS" as too short or too common. Bizarre!
Maybe it was a fake thread. Oh snap!

I'm lame today.