Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Uhm... how did I miss that part?

Are we talking about her first day at the Bellagio House?
She played "Destiny Rules" (we hear the opening, before the vocals would kick in), "Say You Will," and "Silver Girl."

I just listened to it again and yes the scene you are talking about is the right one. However I think that first song is RTTG.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: my thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by k115810
3) Ok...this may start a controversy...but I would SWEAR that Stevie's face was digitally smoothed. There were a couple of close-ups early on that looked very soft compared to the level of detail that you would see in John or Lindsey's faces. If you pay attention to Stevie's close-ups, I think you will agree with me that her face has been smoothed in post-production. If this is true, it would be very disappointing to me. First, because it runs contrary to the very point of a documentary, and second because Stevie looks great for her age, and shouldn't try to hide the way she looks. She has nothing to be ashamed of.
I posted the same sentiment a couple of months ago and predicted that her face would be touched-up on the doc and on the Boston show, and it didn't go over very well. They smoothed her out on The Dance, too.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by joe

I think the pic that you guys are referring to as "Waddy" is NOT Waddy after all. I noticed that pic too. I'm almost positive that it is in fact a B/N concert pic of Stevie and Lindsey. I won't be able to post it cause i don't have it but i've see it around. Stevie had long straight hair parted in the middle, and is at her mic which is close to Lindsey.

It also makes sense that she would have this pic next to her. Why would she have a pic of Waddy and her? I mean it's possible but not logical.
You could be right. It's in the background for a good long while and the hair looks like Waddy's to me. How many people have hair like that?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
You could be right. It's in the background for a good long while and the hair looks like Waddy's to me. How many people have hair like that?
Take a look at buckinghamnicks.net. (Nancy, I hope you don't mind me referring to your site here!) In the Buckingham/Nicks section under photos, page 1, row 5, last pic in the row. (Sorry, still haven't figured out how to attach pics). It looked kind of like this to me only with S&L flipped in position. Anyone else think this might have been it?

Brad
Old 03-15-2004, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Doesn't look like it to me.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
"people my age aren't lying in the floor and worrying about what record they're going to buy tomorrow..."
This is actually what Nicks said in the documentary":

"We think all these people that are our age are just going to come out of the wall and say, "oh, I'm just going to start buying music again.....And in fact, they're not laying around on the floor smoking dope thinking about what their next record they're going to buy is.

They're trying to deal with delinquent children.... They're trying to learn how to pay the rent next month or how to pay for their house and how to put their kids through college....."

Here's more from Nicks:

"Everybody is nervous to say anything because nobody wants to rock the boat....and nobody wants to hurt Lindsey's feelings and we LOVE Lindsey and we want him to have everything he wants and all his dreams to come true, but this is not about art..."
Old 03-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Stevie Nicks surely has a deadpan personality---if a personality at all.

But Lindsey Buckingham appeared "up."

I loved the way the group got along in this documentary!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And Lindsey Buckingham on royalties:

"It was really just up to me to take the hit in terms of a certain amount of royalties, because you only get paid to up to twelve songs. So if we were to have 20, I'd only get paid maybe on two or three. You know everyone was extremely surprised that I was willing to do that...."

I love the SAY YOU WILL cd!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: my thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I posted the same sentiment a couple of months ago and predicted that her face would be touched-up on the doc and on the Boston show, and it didn't go over very well. They smoothed her out on The Dance, too.
I didn't really want to mention it but I agree. She looks great no matter what but with all of the close ups on Destiny Rules she does look like she has been smoothed out and diffused especially when you compare her to Lindsey and the others. The rest of the band looks really clear compared to Stevie.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I caught the version with commercials, unfortunately, so I missed a few things. I just wanted to add to what people have already said:

About Stevie's face being touched up. I take this as a given. I mean, she's always been insecure about how she appears on film _ look at the additional photography done for the "Red Rocks" and "Tango" videos. This documentary is no exception. You can see in certain parts that her face looks "overexposed" (smoothed) while everyone else's looks normal. And I remember someone reporting rumours a while back that the documentary's broadcast had been delayed because Stevie was unhappy with how she looked and wanted the footage retouched.
It doesn't bother me much, but I do think it's unnecessary. No one
expects her to look 30 anymore!

The documentary solidified my belief that the album is WAY overproduced. I liked each of Stevie's "Phoenix Four" songs in DEMO form (as heard in the doc) better than I do on the album. Both the "Silver Girl" and "Destiny Rules" demos sounded scrappier and more vital than the finished versions. I think Lindsey, as a producer, has become too overwrought in his approach _ increasingly so since the mid-1980s.

I LOVED the exchange between Stevie and Lindsey about the "Thrown Down" lyrics. How many people these days would have the nerve to challenge Stevie on something like that? For the record, I think he was right... Stevie came across looking plain stubborn here. She didn't offer any argument apart from variations on "That's just the way I want it."

As much as I don't particulary like Mick, his observations are often spot-on. I liked his debunking of Lindsey's "starving artist" bit, and also his analysis of how Stevie was inspired to write a handful of disciplined new songs once she saw Lindsey's dedication to the project.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: my thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
They smoothed her out on The Dance, too.
I sure noticed this ! She looked amazing - a combination of lighting (about which she knows a lot), very expensive makeup that basically reflects light, and a filter on the lens. HOWEVER, in the closeup shots of GB, her profile is perfect, her jaw tight, she looks beautiful. Everyone in the room with me was saying "Someone got a little 'refresher' work done!"
I don't know either way. Don't care.
God bless her, she is still one the most beautiful women on earth.

On another note, what does that assistant of hers DO ? Other than sit around in a chair reading a book ? She's like Jai on Queer Eye. Seemingly without purpose !
Old 03-16-2004, 01:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Buck
Stevie Nicks surely has a deadpan personality---if a personality at all.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by blinker12
It doesn't bother me much, but I do think it's unnecessary. No one expects her to look 30 anymore!
I don't think it's necessary either, as candid shots of her have proven that she looks gorgeous with little makeup, and without benefit of re-touching... but she's sort of in that "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

If they re-touch her appearance, she gets needled for being vain or insecure... and if she doesn't, she sets herself up to get criticized for looking tired, or old, or God knows what else.

At any rate, i don't believe her appearance was re-touched throughout the entire documentary... only certain spots.
For instance, she looks exactly the same in several of the recording scenes, as she does on the enchanced clips from the 'Say You Will' disc, and from the official site.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Even more:

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
Oh there is more than books that show how the Beatles constructed their songs (ie-"Day By Day" 76 cd set that shows the disaster that was the "Get Back" film sessions...Btw, I was listening to these sessions last nite when I heard someone asking "What's that?" which was received with a surprising "The new Fleetwood Mac album"...)

Being a big Guns N'Roses fan (I used to be a moderator on a rather large GN'R N.G. awhile back) I thought the UYI releases would have been much better if the filler material was reduced and the remaining tracks were compilated into one single disc.

Brian j.

I really enjoy the technical aspects of song construction and recording. We learn what goes into creating a song, the talents of the songwriters, and how ideas for little sounds get added in. I would love to see more of that on say a DVD release of the documentary.

Really?! The Beatles commented on a FM album?

The reason I brought up Guns and Roses was that I recently saw an old Saturday Night Live skit where a girl was going out to buy Use Your Illusions 126 and UYI 85! Hahahahahaha! She had an arm full of cds!!!!

Chris
Old 03-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Buck
I agree!

This was my favorite clip! Him sitting alone with the mic across from Stevie and the backups.... Buckingham was the ambitious, driving force right through the documentary.. but at the end of the tour practice one night (after he finished WORLD TURNING) Nicks wanted to rehearse another set for the tour. He sexily and sweetly said he was too tired and she didn’t push him…..I liked that.....

I loved this documentary!
As I recall, he was really spasing out and twitching during that song. It was actually kind of funny.

I loved it when he talked about sampling the lead vocals on WT and Come, that was hilarious!