The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I bet he's walking around with the soul and the CD under his arm to get it released by a major label. This can take some time I'm afraid. If the thing had a distributionhome there would have been buzz.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I bet he's walking around with the soul and the CD under his arm to get it released by a major label. This can take some time I'm afraid. If the thing had a distributionhome there would have been buzz.
how long it took from the original gos version to the release of his next solo album? if it was originally done in 1998, then i guess 8 years... i'm really hoping he's over the major label/promotion thing, like he's claiming he is.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
how long it took from the original gos version to the release of his next solo album? if it was originally done in 1998, then i guess 8 years... i'm really hoping he's over the major label/promotion thing, like he's claiming he is.
He better be, because he will NEVER get signed by a major label again.....in these days of youth-driven, sales orientated signings, no one is going to pick up a 61 year old artist who's best selling album barely went gold 30 years ago, and who's last two probably didn't even crack the 50,000 mark.
Nope, I've said it before and I'll say it again....he's got to go either the indie route (NewWest, Yep Roc, Shout Factory) or self-release (ala Aimee Mann).
Old 01-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
He better be, because he will NEVER get signed by a major label again.....in these days of youth-driven, sales orientated signings, no one is going to pick up a 61 year old artist who's best selling album barely went gold 30 years ago, and who's last two probably didn't even crack the 50,000 mark.
Nope, I've said it before and I'll say it again....he's got to go either the indie route (NewWest, Yep Roc, Shout Factory) or self-release (ala Aimee Mann).
On what label were his other albums released? Wouldn't WB want to release it as part of a Mac deal?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
On what label were his other albums released? Wouldn't WB want to release it as part of a Mac deal?
UTS, Bass Hall, and GOS were all on Reprise....exactly where he should stay.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
as holidayroad said, last 3 were on reprise. but seems that other than putting them out, WB doesn't do much except blocking him to do any kind of promotion himself (refer to his youtube channel videos being pulled, for example). it seems that he has more to loose than gain if releasing on reprise.

btw, just saw pearl jam putting out something that seems to be on their own http://www.pearljam.com/news/live-ten-legs
EDIT: label is called Monkeywrench (which is their own label)

but, i don't really know anything about music business, just speculating.

Last edited by elle; 01-18-2011 at 04:22 PM..
Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He ain't going nowhere. He'll have a Reprise release.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
as holidayroad said, last 3 were on reprise. but seems that other than putting them out, WB doesn't do much except blocking him to do any kind of promotion himself (refer to his youtube channel videos being pulled, for example). it seems that he has more to loose than gain if releasing on reprise.
Why on earth did they do that?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't really understand why it would need to be distributed by a major label. Sure, there are some benefits to having major label backing but at this point in the game, people are going to buy it or they aren't. Lindsey has his fanbase and a major label might be able to push it a bit more but they'd also probably complicate matters as far as getting it released. He should just release it himself and save the time and effort.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
Why on earth did they do that?
Money. Meaning he won't bring in enough to cover promotion. Sorry, but it's true.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
He ain't going nowhere. He'll have a Reprise release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
I don't really understand why it would need to be distributed by a major label. Sure, there are some benefits to having major label backing but at this point in the game, people are going to buy it or they aren't. Lindsey has his fanbase and a major label might be able to push it a bit more but they'd also probably complicate matters as far as getting it released. He should just release it himself and save the time and effort.
Really.....why stay with a label that's going to do NOTHING to work his records? That's part of the perks of being with a major...the extra money for promotion. But if there's no money being spent on you....why stay?
I thought Lindsey's contract ran thru UTS.....that's why I was so surprised to see him re-up with them for GOS....there's a song on GOS where he even comments on labels giving five seconds of their time.....why bother?
I sure hope it's not his ego preventing him from going the indie route.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LAW & ORDER - Asylum
GO INSANE - Elektra
OUT OF THE CRADLE - WB
UNDER THE SKIN - Reprise
GIFT OF SCREWS - Reprise
Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
Really.....why stay with a label that's going to do NOTHING to work his records? That's part of the perks of being with a major...the extra money for promotion. But if there's no money being spent on you....why stay?
I thought Lindsey's contract ran thru UTS.....that's why I was so surprised to see him re-up with them for GOS....there's a song on GOS where he even comments on labels giving five seconds of their time.....why bother?
I sure hope it's not his ego preventing him from going the indie route.
He ain't going nowhere. I swear to you they are at WB because they are dancing with the one who brought 'em. I've never read anything about his contracts but I would bet it's tied in with the Mac. You know, so many solo per Mac release or something. Being managed by Azoff ain't too shabby though so we'll see what they cook up.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
That had less to do with promoting Lindsey and more to do with a larger issue that Warners had with Youtube not paying for video streaming, or enough, so they yanked them... His videos were pulled like a ton of other Warner acts videos at the time... The problem is a lot of them weren't reinstated... I can't even remember what he had on his channel, but weren't alot of them self made road movies? If that's the case, you could probably blame Lindsey himself for not popping those back up.

I think he'll end up on Reprise too.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For all this trash talk about WB, has anyone seen a truly successful indie promotional campaign?

If I was Lindsey, I'd release it myself. I would utilize social media like twitter and facebook to get the word out. I'd work directly with FM fan sites (like the Ledge) and post stuff on YouTube. I would do in-studio appearances at AAA radio stations and satellite radio. I would sell it on iTunes and offer signed copies bought directly from my website. I would go on SNL. I would try to license my songs to TV shows, movies and commercials. And, yes, I would do the unthinkable- open up for Stevie Nicks on tour. In this day and age, "distribution" via a major label is almost a non-issue because there are so few brick-n-mortar retail outlets for music remaining. Sure, he's not going to move a sh*t ton of copies this way, but he's not going to on a major label either.