User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
I'm only going to make this point one more time, I promise. There were people who were unable to evacuate for a variety of reasons, mostly financial.

I agree and those people have a valid excuse if they had some disability or other significant hinderance. I do not think anyone is arguing against that

I think what people and certainly I am saying is the vast majority seen on the t.v. apparently are able bodied people - as are the looters There is no reason these people could not have gone to the dome or some other shelter. That they did not - out of stupidity, laziness, stubborness, and/or the desire to loot (trust me it happens) - has caused a delay in rescuing the truly helpless - to what end I can only speculate and be horrified by. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

as far as the looting..this is absolutely terrible, but the thing is..even if they MAKE an effort, seriously-what are they going to do with them? They don't even have a jail to put them in I'm sure.

and what do you guys think?? I heard someone call in on CNN today discussing how she does not think New Orleans should even BE rebuilt. Do you think they will? or just cut their losses and relocate everyone?? I'm kinda riding the fence on this. It has so much history and to think of the US without....New Frickin Orleans is crazy, but my goodness....I don't even know where to begin to think of how they are going to rebuild....so I dunno
Old 08-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I heard from a friend that has family there that some of them are being quarantined.
Actually, they likely will quarrantine mostly the whole city - probably by Friday is the city cannot be drained, which looking less and less probable.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677
as far as the looting..this is absolutely terrible, but the thing is..even if they MAKE an effort, seriously-what are they going to do with them? They don't even have a jail to put them in I'm sure.

and what do you guys think?? I heard someone call in on CNN today discussing how she does not think New Orleans should even BE rebuilt. Do you think they will? or just cut their losses and relocate everyone?? I'm kinda riding the fence on this. It has so much history and to think of the US without....New Frickin Orleans is crazy, but my goodness....I don't even know where to begin to think of how they are going to rebuild....so I dunno

With a proper levee system, it can withstand much more than this. I mean it almost withstood this and it has been standing for hundreds of years I mean should they have rebuilt the entire West coast after the last few large quakes. This problem is actually more manageable than the quakes. If those levees had been taller and stronger - as was discussed decades ago to no end - the current situation would not be happening and NOLA would be almost dry by now

Old 08-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Have you heard anything about the VA in NOLA? At least 150 were there, and I heard the generators had run out of fuel. I hope they've been airlifted out.

I heard they were evacuated, but that is not from a good source.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
With a proper levee system, it can withstand much more than this. I mean it almost withstood this and it has been standing for hundreds of years I mean should they have rebuilt the entire West coast after the last few large quakes. This problem is actually more manageable than the quakes. If those levees had been taller and stronger - as was discussed decades ago to no end - the current situation would not be happening and NOLA would be almost dry by now

o.k...o.k!!!..just asking a question..*L*
but I see your point...I'm not saying tear it down either...just food for thought since that lady brought it up. Because up until then, I didn't even know anyone had considered it. "I" sure hadn't...
Old 08-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
o.k...o.k!!!..just asking a question..*L*
but I see your point...I'm not saying tear it down either...just food for thought since that lady brought it up. Because up until then, I didn't even know anyone had considered it. "I" sure hadn't...

I did not mean for that to come across as snarky -

I got your point though and it is worth discussing I think David think that too, but I could be wrong.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I did not mean for that to come across as snarky -

I got your point though and it is worth discussing I think David think that too, but I could be wrong.

no! it's totally fine!! I could be just pms'ing today too..who knows

anyway...I didn't see where david had posted anything about that ...but I havent' read the whole thread either *L* I'm just wondering, if it's gonna take 6 mo's to a year (or MUCH longer) will these people even come back? I mean..they HAVE to have jobs.. Think about it..if this happened to you, and you relocated, got a new job, new home..new EVERYTHING...when they rebuilt..would you pick everything up again and move again?? I mean, you probably would if you knew your family was gonna be there, your neighbors..(well maybe..haha) and all that..but it's not even gonna be the same city. It's just a sad situation
Old 08-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I truly believe that apart from 9/11 this is one of the most significant events that has ever hit this country.
Yup.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I agree and those people have a valid excuse if they had some disability or other significant hinderance. I do not think anyone is arguing against that

I think what people and certainly I am saying is the vast majority seen on the t.v. apparently are able bodied people - as are the looters There is no reason these people could not have gone to the dome or some other shelter. That they did not - out of stupidity, laziness, stubborness, and/or the desire to loot (trust me it happens) - has caused a delay in rescuing the truly helpless - to what end I can only speculate and be horrified by. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.
What about the people in Mississippi who were never ordered to evacuate?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I heard they were evacuated, but that is not from a good source.
I certainly hope so.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What about the people in Mississippi who were never ordered to evacuate?

I am unclear on that. I know much of the Gulf Coast was ordered to evacuate, but did not. In any event, that part of the world is not flooded in any significant way compared to NOLA and the surrounding area. So, the logic behind the delay rescue time is not as applicable, though it certainly there.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

They'll put them on the bridge span that's holding the prisioners who were evacuated out also.

They will rebuild New Orleans...it's not just a city, it's a culture...these people are goal-oriented. They want to rebuild....and I believe it will be done!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Will they make up their minds already

I think the inaction is worse than any action they could have taken

New Orleans tries to stop breaches
Feds fan out for storm recovery efforts across Gulf region

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- The water pouring from Lake Pontchartrain into New Orleans has stopped because the lake's water level is equal that of the water level in the city, according to a chief engineer working on a solution.

The Army Corps of Engineers said Wednesday it is hoping to begin dumping bags weighing as much as 15,000 pounds to stem the flow of water seeping through three levee breaches and flooding New Orleans, said engineer Walter Baumy, who's leading the project. (Map)(See video showing extent of levee breach)

So far, nothing has been dropped "that I know of," he said, adding that none of the city's pumps are working.

More than 1,000 bags are expected to be needed, a spokesman said.

About 80 percent of New Orleans is flooded with water up to 20 feet deep.

The corps has no timetable for sealing the holes in the levees, said Baumy. The bags are going to be filled with sand, gravel or "anything we grab."

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco described the project Wednesday as "an engineering nightmare." (See video of Blanco discussing rescue and recovery efforts -- 3:09)

Meanwhile officials are coordinating with emergency relief agencies to evacuate New Orleans.

Addressing one of the city's vexing problems, the 23,000 evacuees who have been living under deteriorating conditions at the Louisiana Superdome will be transported to the Astrodome in Houston, Texas, officials said Wednesday. (Full story)

New Orleans' Louis Armstrong International Airport, about 10 miles west of downtown in Kenner, did not sustain major damage and has reopened to limited traffic.

Blanco and Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour have ordered the mobilization of an additional 10,000 National Guard troops to provide security and help with hurricane relief, Pentagon officials said Wednesday.

The troops are expected to arrive in the next two days, with 5,000 troops going to each state, the officials said.

Their chief task will be to help law enforcement restore order; some units will also be involved in hurricane relief, the officials said.

President Bush has declared federal states of emergency in Louisiana, Alabama, Florida and Mississippi. (Full story) (See video about Bush's return to Washington -- 1:47)

Coordinating the federal response plan to Hurricane Katrina will be Michael Brown, the director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. He is already in the region working with state and local officials.

The plan for the first time provides all federal government departments and agencies with the same playbook to use when responding to major incidents such as terrorist attacks, major industrial accidents, hurricanes, tornadoes or tsunamis.

FEMA has issued a list of organizations for those seeking to assist victims. (How to help)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/3...ery/index.html

Old 08-31-2005, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9148873/

Updated: 8:42 p.m. ET Aug. 31, 2005
VIENNA, Austria - From papal prayers to telegrams from China, the world reacted with an outpouring of compassion Wednesday for the victims of Hurricane Katrina in messages tinged by shock that a disaster of this scale could occur in the United States.

Islamic extremists rejoiced in America’s misfortune, giving the storm a military rank and declaring in Internet chatter that “Private” Katrina had joined the global jihad, or holy war. With “God’s help,” they declared, oil prices would hit $100 a barrel this year.

Venezuela’s government, which has had tense relations with Washington, offered humanitarian aid and fuel if requested.

The storm was seen as an equalizer — proof that any country, weak or strong, can be victimized by a natural disaster. Images of flood-ravaged New Orleans earned particular sympathy in central Europe, where dozens died in raging floodwaters only days ago.

“Nature proved that no matter how rich and economically developed you are, you can’t fight it,” says Danut Afasei, a local official in Romania’s Harghita county, where flooding killed 13 people last week.

Mourning for 'European' city
Throughout Europe, concerned citizens lamented the loss of life and the damage caused to New Orleans, often described as one of North America’s most “European” cities.

French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder sent messages of sympathy to President Bush. Chirac, who has famously quarreled with Bush over the Iraq war, addressed this letter, “Dear George.”

Pope Benedict XVI said he was praying for victims of the “tragic” hurricane while China’s President Hu Jintao expressed his “belief that that the American people will definitely overcome the natural disaster and rebuild their beautiful homeland.”

Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II also sent a message to Bush saying she was “deeply shocked and saddened” at the devastation caused by the hurricane and expressing her condolences, “especially to the families of those who have lost their lives, to the injured and to all who have been affected by this terrible disaster.”

The U.S. Embassy in Bern, Switzerland — a capital at the foot of the Alps hit by flooding last week — said calls were rushing in from Swiss individuals and institutions looking for a way to donate to relief efforts.

“We are getting calls from the Swiss public looking to express their condolences, (and) people are also asking for an account number where they can make donations,” said spokesman Daniel Wendell.

Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz called President Bush offering condolences to the victims of the disaster.

On Monday, Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Ali Al-Naimi said that Saudi Arabia was prepared to immediately increase its crude oil production to ease the effects of Hurricane Katrina and stabilize world crude prices.

Arguing over aid
The Internet-edition of the Vienna daily Der Standard had recorded 820 postings commenting on a front-page story on the hurricane. One posting asked where money could be donated to the victims, but the question sparked a debate about whether a rich country like the United States needed such aid.

A response argued that hurricane victims who are poor still needed support.

Amid the sympathy, however, there was criticism.

As U.S. military engineers struggled to shore up breached levees, experts in the Netherlands expressed surprise that New Orleans’ flood systems failed to restrain the raging waters.

With half of the country’s population of 16 million living below sea level, the Netherlands prepared for a “perfect storm” soon after floods in 1953 killed 2,000 people. The nation installed massive hydraulic sea walls.

Amid sympathy, criticism
“I don’t want to sound overly critical, but it’s hard to imagine that (the damage caused by Katrina) could happen in a Western country,” said Ted Sluijter, spokesman for the park where the sea walls are exhibited. “It seemed like plans for protection and evacuation weren’t really in place, and once it happened, the coordination was on loose hinges.”

The sympathy was muted in some corners by a sense that the United States reaped what it sowed, since the country is seen as the main contributor to global warming.

Cosmic Log
Storm stirs trans-Atlantic eco-tempest

Joern Ehlers, a spokesman for World Wildlife Fund Germany, said global warming had increased the intensity of hurricanes.

“The Americans have a big impact on the greenhouse effect,” Ehlers said.

But Harlan L. Watson, the U.S. envoy for negotiations on climate change, dismissed talk of a link between global warming and the strength of storms.

“Our scientists are telling us right now that there’s not a linkage,” he said in Geneva. “I’ll rely on their information.”

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.