Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Imagine Peace Tower to be lighted for Yoko's birthday today 2/18/2011

I just found this posted on Yoko's official Facebook page.Yoko says John would have been loved using the internet and Twitter and Facebook,etc.To communicate with the world.I believe he would have been using the internet to get his messages across to.

On the evening of February 18, 2011, The City of Reykjavik is proud to illuminate IMAGINE PEACE TOWER in honor and celebration of Yoko Ono’s 78th birthday from 7pm GMT. You can Twitter or Facebook your birthday messages for Yoko live from this page, as you watch the live stream of IMAGINE PEACE TOWER.
Please also tweet your own personal wishes for peace to IMAGINE PEACE TOWER @IPTower or via email to wish@imaginepeacetower.com.

http://networkedblogs.com/erFn6
Old 02-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
I've always wondered what Lennon's career would have been like had he not been assassinated.

In the 80's, I think its a given we would have gotten a couple heavy-on-the-Fairlight albums (commercial or otherwise) in the early part of the decade, probably followed by some adult contemporary crap. Basically, an updated redux of his hit or miss 70's.

In the 90's, I think it would have really gotten interesting. I think Mandela would have gotten Lennon stirring. Also, by the time of the Eagles reunion, Lollapallooza and the wild success of the early 90's Grateful Dead tours (where they played multiple nights in football stadiums every year), the Beatles WOULD have reunited. For charity or big bucks, who knows, but they would have. I've thought a lot about this, and firmly believe it.

Too bad life intervened.
I often think about this myself. He seemed so full of vigor and was extremely productive in the last year of his life. I'm convinced, given the quality of his demos at the time, his music would be consistently great in that time period. I believe he may not have stretched out for more experimental stuff, but encouraged Yoko in her pursuits. I think, too, that in the 90s he would have really started to try new things. Perhaps some awesome collaborations, or an epic record with Nigel Godrich. There is a LOT in common between Lennon and Yorke's sounds/musical style that I could imagine that would be an interesting combination.

Perhaps the 2000's would have been the pinnacle for him. I honestly can't even imagine...John was so ahead of his time, so brilliant. He was always trying different things. For sure he'd still be promoting peace, and for some reason I'd imagine he'd really be living part-time in Ireland, England, and New York. I believe he would still be doing fantastically enlightening peace demonstration, but he would be less vocal politically.

Anyway, it's sad that we can only think about it all hypothetically, but in so many ways it isn't sad. John's unparalleled impact on popular music, on our culture, is still so profound. To this day, I have yet to see a musical artist of his caliber (if there is one) top the bed-in stuff...it was naive, ridiculous, and seemingly pointless, but in actuality it did so much to raise awareness to the impact of performance art, and in such a positive and beautiful way. He put himself all the way out there for the things he believed in, ridiculers be damned.

To this day, almost all of his music is still the greatest stuff I have ever heard in my life. That's simply the truth for me.

Last edited by Nico; 02-18-2011 at 07:47 PM..
Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yoko songs/videos I love:

I'm Moving On from "Double Fantasy" (written in 1973 prior to/during J&Y's separation)

Let Me Count the Ways from "Milk & Honey" (written for John)

Listen, the Snow is Falling

Thanks for everything Yoko!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Message from Yoko...

SOURCE
IMAGINE PEACE 2011
Yoko Ono Lennon
18 February 2011

Dear Friends,

Today, February 18th, 2011, I am 78.

I know you are asking many questions on Twitter and elsewhere about what I am really like. It’s something I would love to know, too! One day it will suddenly dawn on us …maybe.

The world situation is too urgent for us now to discuss trivial things, like what I eat for breakfast.

We are at a point in human history when we have to wake up and realize that the only people who can save the world are us.

Every hour that goes by without us doing anything about it affects us, and affects the world that we love so much.

In his State of the Union Speech, President Obama said we should do “big things.” Well, we are already doing the biggest thing anybody in the human history could ever hope for.

Together, we are creating a world of Peace, Love and Freedom, all while the negative forces try their hardest to stop us.

With their power, they want to control the whole world. But we will not let them.

That’s big.

The way we are doing it is by being conscious of the “Power of Togetherness.”

The negative forces do not have that. They are an elitist minority, dipping their heads in arrogant madness.

They always play the same game – using violence, changing laws for their convenience, and seducing us with words to get what they want.

They say if we do things their way, we will all be rich. Well, that’s not happening. It never will. Once there is great wealth, they will want to keep it for themselves.

They also use fear tactics, saying the world will be in a great mess if we don’t do it their way. Well, the world is already in a mess. Why? Because we followed them.

It’s Time for Action. It’s Time for Change.

We, the people of the world, are not dumb. We understand what the “Blue Meanies” are trying to do. We just don’t know how to stop it. And wonder if we can at all.

But we can!

We are doing it.

Take a look at the map below. Each dot represents millions and millions of people who are all, right now, thinking of Peace: wishing it, voicing it, and hoping that their dream of peace will become a reality.

Map of global locations of visitors to www.IMAGINEPEACE.com 2010-11 from Revolver Maps

The map expresses what my husband John Lennon and I envisioned. I know he is smiling, thinking of how little time it took for all of us to Come Together.

IMAGINE PEACE is a powerful, universal mantra that we should all meditate on.

With it, we will achieve the impossible. Hopefully, without bloodshed.

Look at all the courageous people who are now being hurt in marches and thrown in prisons for no other reason except for carrying “Peace, Love and Freedom” in their hearts and voicing it.

I don’t want you to get hurt. You shouldn’t have to.

7 billion of us, people of the world, have the birthright to live with a healthy mind and body at all times.

You should not even get one scratch on you, and you won’t, if you don’t allow it.

So keep IMAGINE PEACE in your head.

Have a clear picture of where we stand, what we are doing, and where we want to be.

Know that we are connected in our hearts and minds.

War Is Over, if you want it!

I love you!
i ii iii

yoko

Yoko Ono Lennon
18 February 2011

“Imagine all the people living life in peace”
John Lennon

“A dream you dream alone is only a dream.
A dream you dream together is reality”
Yoko Ono Lennon

Last edited by Nico; 02-25-2011 at 04:26 PM..
Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default One new Examiner.com article about Yoko 2/18/2011

Thanks Nico for the posting that article from the Imagine Peace web site and those video's.Those are some of my favorite music and video's to.I agree with your views and Lukes about what could have happened in John's Musical future if he had lived and not been assassinated I have one update.Its a interesting article discussing interviews this reporter did with Yoko through the past 25 years.

Examiner.com National
February 18, 2011
Exclusive: Yoko Ono Lennon offers years of insight to Texas DJ Jody Denberg - interview

February 18, 2011 - In honor of Yoko Ono’s 78th birthday today, I spent time talking to Austin DJJody Denbergon the phone about his extensive resume of interviews with John Lennon's widow. Jody has formed a professional friendship with Yoko over the last twenty five years and has developed perspective and insight into her work and her character.Denberg is a DJ for KUT-FM, Austin’s NPR station; and his interviews with Yoko (from 1984 – 2007) can be seen at this website devoted to Yoko Ono.He also did a radio interview for John Lennon’s remastered box set which we covered at the Examiner last fall.

http://www.examiner.com/john-lennon-...ut-yoko-photos

Last edited by msLinds; 02-18-2011 at 11:08 PM..
Old 02-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow aaron english

just thought I'd share.

a friend of mine's interpretation of norwegian wood

Old 02-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default The Aaron English bands cover of Norwegian Wood

Thanks BTFLCHLD for sharing your friends " The Aaron English bands " cover interpretation of the song and video of " Norwegian Wood ".I really enjoyed listening to it and like their version of it.I am saving the You Tube link so I can listen to it again later and check out some more of this bands music video's.Everyone have a safe,positive and great weekend and take care.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That was pretty awesome of you to share BTFLCHLD...come in on this thread as many times as you want!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Spin Magazine : At Home with Sean Lennon & Charlotte Ke mp Muhl 2/14

Spin Magazine
February 14, 2011

At Home with Sean Lennon & Charlotte Kemp Muhl

While his mom, Yoko, still resides in one of Manhattan's most posh addresses, on Central Park West, we learned that the NYC home of Sean Lennon -- which he shares with his girlfriend/model/Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger bandmate Charlotte Kemp Muhl -- is quite the pad, too. Check out exclusive behind the scenes video from their house below!

http://www.spin.com/articles/home-se...otte-kemp-muhl

Last edited by msLinds; 02-20-2011 at 02:02 AM..
Old 02-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sean's stuff is really cool. I love how they cherish old things. They are really a unique pair. Love them. Thanks mslinds.

Since I haven't any news to share I'll just post a random John video...enjoy!!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Just wanted to post this great video of John Lennon getting grilled (and annoyed) by the famous cartoonist Al Capp, self-described "dreadful, Neanderthal, fascist", during John & Yoko's Bed-In For Peace.
Give it right back to 'em John!

Oh honey sweet
So full of sleep
I'm backsliding..."
Radiohead

Last edited by 3rd World Man; 02-21-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ That video clip is one of my favorite moments in pop culture of the 20th century. I love it. Al Capp really comes off as inflexible, over-literal, and very stagnant in his way of thinking. I'm not saying J&Y's ideals are to-the-point, but they had some imagination. Even if what they were doing was seemingly silly and weird, it was still sincere and their motives should be applauded. They were doing soemthing POSITIVE and they weren't selling a record or a book or any other piece of merchandise- they were simply "selling" peace. I truly adore them both.

And Al Capp's, "You haven't any manners at all..."

John: "And you have manners?"

AC: "I'm your guest!!!"

JL: "I'm yours."

AC: "No your not this is YOUR bedroom!!!

Al Capp may not be my cup of tea but he was kind of funny. John and his "discussion" was actually hilarious, except for the swings at Yoko. But she took it like a pro as well...I heart this. Thank you 3rd World Man!!!!!!

Last edited by Nico; 02-22-2011 at 11:21 PM..
Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Prosound News : Inside Recording The Beatles first album

Thanks Nico and 3rd World Man for posting those video's.The interview by Al Capp during John & Yoko's Bed-In For Peace. I think is kind of funny to.Except for his comments to Yoko.But she does take it in stride.I agree they were sincere,positive and their idealism is commendable. I have one Beatles related update to post.

ProSound News
February 2011
Inside Recording The Beatles’ First Album

Recording veteran Richard Langham recently spoke publicly for the first time about his experiences as the Second Engineer on many of the Beatles’ earliest recordings, including their first album.

http://prosoundnews.com/Blog.aspx?id=34624&blogid=192

Last edited by msLinds; 02-22-2011 at 01:30 AM..
Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default One Photograph of Sean and Charlotte Kemp on Valentines day

I have one photograph to post of Sean and Charlotte that was taken with a fan.That posted it on their blog from this past Valentines day.I found it while digging around online yesterday.I thought I would share it here.Everyone have a good day and take care.

Sean Lennon and Charlotte Kemp Muhl on Valentines day
February 14, 2011

http://katherineisawesome.com/2011/0...ver/#more-5929
Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Lennon and McCartney Liverpool Childhood Homes To Be Staffed By Married Couple

I have another update for today.

Liverpool Echo.Uk
February 18, 2011

Lennon and McCartney Liverpool Childhood Homes To Be Staffed By Married Couple

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-28191415/
Closed Thread