Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
What did he do again? Tweet a pic of his penis? I have to admit this story has not captivated my attention.
He tweeted a pic of his bulge. Much ado about nothing.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
That's all??? You'd think he was having an affair with a 14-year old from the way people are talking. Geez.

How old is this guy? It sounds like something a junior high school boy would do, and it certainly makes me question his maturity, but it's hardly a federal case.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
That's all??? You'd think he was having an affair with a 14-year old from the way people are talking. Geez.
Well, you have to remember that to those people, a man's semi-nude body is a thing of great horror and fear - definitely something to be kept hidden and never talked about or revealed unless conception is in the works, and then of course only under total darkness so no one can remember any details about what they saw.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
But why? Wouldn't you lie if you were in the same situation? I think the first instinct that most people have when confronted with something they did that might get them in trouble or cause embarassment is "Nope, that wasn't me." It's human nature to lie. It's the first things kids learn to do well on their own.
The problem is it has become a distraction. It was a distraction with Craig, Foley, Vitter, Ensign, Studds, etc. You would hope that with the problems facing this country that those in power would learn from their colleagues mistakes. This isn't something that happened years ago, it was very recent. I may be naive but not everyone takes pictures of their junk and sends it out in to cyberspace. My guess is that he will be forced out, not because he did something wrong, but because it's all about the upcoming elections and not wanting any distractions.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, it's not just the bulge pic. The emerging details are painting Weiner as some kind of creepy misogynistic, soulless chronic exhibitionist with a sexting addiction. An isolated bulge pic is one thing, but the other details are far more damning, IMHO.

Yes, politicians are supposed to focus on jobs and the economy. But when was the last time that happened when it wasn't an election year? And the sad truth of the matter is that jobs and the economy are the opposite of sexy. The Weiner story is great for the media: the TV ratings are way up and the newspaper headlines are hysterical.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It is more than just underwear photos. It's the whole thing. The funny thing is how he bragged about how great his junk is...but the reality is laughable. Let me put it this way, his nose is bigger.

The sad and pathetic truth to this is this man is too old to be doing this.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Well, it's not just the bulge pic. The emerging details are painting Weiner as some kind of creepy misogynistic, soulless chronic exhibitionist with a sexting addiction. An isolated bulge pic is one thing, but the other details are far more damning, IMHO.

Yes, politicians are supposed to focus on jobs and the economy. But when was the last time that happened when it wasn't an election year? And the sad truth of the matter is that jobs and the economy are the opposite of sexy. The Weiner story is great for the media: the TV ratings are way up and the newspaper headlines are hysterical.
I guess I just don't understand people expecting politicians to act as morale authorities. That's not what their job is. If people want a morale leader, go to church. If people feel Weiner tweeting pics of his weiner isn't in their state's best interests, don't elect him next time around. But trying to tar and feather a man for doing something that's absolutely not illegal is just so dumb to me. It'd be different if he ran on a morality platform. Then I'd say "off with his head!" But alas, he didn't.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I guess I just don't understand people expecting politicians to act as morale authorities. That's not what their job is. If people want a morale leader, go to church. If people feel Weiner tweeting pics of his weiner isn't in their state's best interests, don't elect him next time around. But trying to tar and feather a man for doing something that's absolutely not illegal is just so dumb to me. It'd be different if he ran on a morality platform. Then I'd say "off with his head!" But alas, he didn't.
Politicians are not moral authorities. But they are appointed to be leaders, which requires a certain strength of character, or at least the appearance of it. Politics is not a meritocracy based on ones ability and credentials. Politics is, well... political. Either people like you or they don't. It is a popularity contest. It is more about saying the right things and being able to deliver the message effectively than about actually having an original or constructive thought. I too think the sexting was no big deal, but you do have to question the fortitude of someone who has the inability to simply own and take responsibility for an apparent impropriety. To me, lying is the worst thing a public figure can do.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachwood Mac View Post
I may be naive but not everyone takes pictures of their junk and sends it out in to cyberspace.
Not everyone, but millions do it all the time! No one cares because they aren't actors/singers/sports stars/politicians.

Quote:
Bingo.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What other details?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey Ed and Curtis, is he your rep?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Politicians are not moral authorities. But they are appointed to be leaders, which requires a certain strength of character, or at least the appearance of it. Politics is not a meritocracy based on ones ability and credentials. Politics is, well... political. Either people like you or they don't. It is a popularity contest. It is more about saying the right things and being able to deliver the message effectively than about actually having an original or constructive thought. I too think the sexting was no big deal, but you do have to question the fortitude of someone who has the inability to simply own and take responsibility for an apparent impropriety. To me, lying is the worst thing a public figure can do.
I do *sort of* see your point with this, but disagree to an extent. We do expect politicians to be honest about, well, politics - but that's as far as it should go in my opinion. Weiner's weiner has nothing to do with his job, and it certainly has nothing to do with the political arena.

I work in Finance & government contracting. Everything I do with numbers at work is monitored carefully. Complete transparency at work is an absolute must. What I do on my personal time has nothing to do with my job. As an American, I expect the laws of this nation to defend that principle. I believe this whole Weinergate thing needs to just go away. The obsession some people have with it represents the true moral degredation of our country.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Hey Ed and Curtis, is he your rep?
Nah- his district is the heavily blue collar "white" outer parts of Brooklyn and Queens.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I do *sort of* see your point with this, but disagree to an extent. We do expect politicians to be honest about, well, politics - but that's as far as it should go in my opinion. Weiner's weiner has nothing to do with his job, and it certainly has nothing to do with the political arena.

I work in Finance & government contracting. Everything I do with numbers at work is monitored carefully. Complete transparency at work is an absolute must. What I do on my personal time has nothing to do with my job. As an American, I expect the laws of this nation to defend that principle. I believe this whole Weinergate thing needs to just go away. The obsession some people have with it represents the true moral degredation of our country.
I hate to break it to you, but morality clauses are a way of life for many people in public life. Celebrities, athletes, politicians must follow a certain code of conduct, regardless of whether or not it is spelled out or is legally binding. The right to privacy for public figures is not always assured.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but morality clauses are a way of life for many people in public life. Celebrities, athletes, politicians must follow a certain code of conduct, regardless of whether or not it is spelled out or is legally binding. The right to privacy for public figures is not always assured.
Agreed. Weiner is a liar and would have continued to lie if there wasn't more and more evidence of what he did. I really could not care what he does in his personal life, but when he was caught, he lied about it, then retracted it later on. Great leadership/policies/political motivations, etc, he's still just another narcissistic lying politican and deserves whatever negative attention he gets at this point.