The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I realise that parents have to protect their children...but...

Really with all the dangers and risks in today's world, banning her from the Ledge isn't really going to protect her a lot is it?

Unfortunately some parents (and yes I'm about to become one so I might turn out like this) over-react and then wonder why their child resents them, withdraws, etc.

Much more productive as a parent to say "Ok, well lets have a look at this site" and have a talk about the dangers of the internet...

Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post

Really with all the dangers and risks in today's world, banning her from the Ledge isn't really going to protect her a lot is it?

Unfortunately some parents (and yes I'm about to become one so I might turn out like this) over-react and then wonder why their child resents them, withdraws, etc.

Much more productive as a parent to say "Ok, well lets have a look at this site" and have a talk about the dangers of the internet...

I couldn't agree more.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Poor Miranda. I know she mentioned a few times that her parents thought she was a bit too ensconsed in all things FM/Stevie/Lindsey, so perhaps this is just an extreme conservative reaction to them finding out how she seems to be spending a lot of her free time. Although I can think of far worse things for someone her age to be doing.

Hopefully her parents will re-examine their decision and perhaps set some boundaries that will allow all of them to be comfortable with her internet usage.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

To Hear that guys and Miranda more so I guess.. She'll be back in good time.. At least she'll have Stevie and The Mac "In all your darkest hours...
Hate gave you me for a lover...
And if you go forward, I'll meet you there
And if you climb up through the cold freezing air
Look down below you; search out above
And cry out to life for a frozen love
Old 06-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Precisely. And by making the internet so taboo, that's just going to cause a child to be drawn to it that much more. It's like all the preachers kids I know, they're all hell raisers of the highest degree because of the absurd oppression they receive(d) as kids. It seems like every single problem our society has can be solved by one simple word: moderation. Teach your children moderation. NOTHING is black and white. Cutting off a problem never works. Extreme reaction NEVER works. Approach everything in life with moderation, and you'll always be fine.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Aww sorry to hear that! Take care Miranda! Listen to Stevie music it is the magical cure for all!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Her parents should just create an account for themselves and view the postings on here at their desire! If they feel we are too personal or lewd, then they can ban her, but I feel the ledge is a pretty vanilla place most of the time I understand their concerns, but they should be open to compromise.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 AM
Registered

I'd expect to read something like this if it was 12-13 years ago, when I was 15 (which, coincidentally, is when I first started reading/posting on the Ledge).. when the Internet still hadn't reached mainstream status and confusion and caution reigned. Pretty ignorant and uninformed- at face value.

That said, I think there's more to this story (and behind this "banning") than what has been posted. Just saying.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlyn View Post
Poor Miranda. I know she mentioned a few times that her parents thought she was a bit too ensconsed in all things FM/Stevie/Lindsey, so perhaps this is just an extreme conservative reaction to them finding out how she seems to be spending a lot of her free time. Although I can think of far worse things for someone her age to be doing.

Hopefully her parents will re-examine their decision and perhaps set some boundaries that will allow all of them to be comfortable with her internet usage.
Considering the evidence (gosh, it took me ages to find this - http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...=41544&page=75, post #1119), I don't think her parents' concern about her talking to strangers on the internet is their primary one.
They should be ashamed of themselves. (And to think that was them before they discovered The Ledge! )
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 06-08-2010, 04:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
Considering the evidence (gosh, it took me ages to find this - http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...=41544&page=75, post #1119), I don't think her parents' concern about her talking to strangers on the internet is their primary one.
They should be ashamed of themselves. (And to think that was them before they discovered The Ledge! )
Kind of sad isn't it. That someone who loves music can be criticised for it (especially by her parents). I don't know Miranda or what she is like in her personal life, but it is hard to understand why you'd be concerned about your daughter liking a 62 year old artist. I might understand a bit better if Stevie was preaching suicide and self harm but she's pretty harmless singing about Lindsey and white winged doves.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Kind of sad isn't it. That someone who loves music can be criticised for it (especially by her parents). I don't know Miranda or what she is like in her personal life, but it is hard to understand why you'd be concerned about your daughter liking a 62 year old artist. I might understand a bit better if Stevie was preaching suicide and self harm but she's pretty harmless singing about Lindsey and white winged doves.
You don't say...
I tried to send Miranda an email about a half hour ago. This is what I got back:

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
Recipient address: (Not that it really matters now, but I'll still hide her address)
Reason: Rejection greeting returned by server.
Diagnostic code: smtp;554 imta25.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast
128.250.20.112 Comcast block for spam. Please see
http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/BL000000
Remote system: dns;mx1b.comcast.net (TCP|128.250.20.112|2226|76.96.62.116|25)

Needless to say, I don't have anything nice to say about her parents at the moment.
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 06-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
After reading that, I hate to say it, but her parents should be thinking less about what their daughter likes (hey, I can think of way worse bands to like than the Mac, like Sepultura, where the lead singer does all his vocals in a deep growl) and how they are treating this. I mean, like someone else said, being addicted to an innocent old-school band is nowhere nearly as bad as, say, doign heroin (in my area, it's become a big problem for high schoolers, to the point where Albany is thinking of making some rehab law named after a girl I had gone to high school with that had died of an overdose), and that should be hardly of anyconcern at all.

Now, I don't mean to bring this up, but do any of you think the real reason she got banned from The Ledge was not cause of just being there, but cause she was going to Atlantic City with someone from here to see Stevie in August and her parents found out?

You can add me on Facebook
Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I feel terrible for Miranda. I know she really enjoyed it here. She has been a pleasure and a wonderful addition to The Ledge. I guess her parents think they are doing what is best, but I feel that keeping someone from something she loves will eventually backfire.
I feel that most things here are appropriate for a 15 year old. Occasionally, something may show up that is not, but that is rare.
I know that we know that listening to Fleetwood Mac and/or Stevie Nicks is harmless. Yet, you'd be surprised at how often I have heard comments that Stevie Nicks 'worships the devil' and that this is 'the devil's music'. I live in the 'Bible Belt' nowadays, so you can see the kind of nonsense I'm around. When I moved here 10 years ago, one of the first complaints my mother in law made to my mother was about my poster of 'the witch'. (My poster of the cover of The Dance!) So, you never know what Miranda's parents could be hearing from others.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well this is ****ty......but you can't really fault her parents they are just doing what they feel. maybe they'll reconsider. But I feel like i've lost a little sister. Shine on Miranda, you'll always be in my thoughts and my heart

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I always got a chuckle out of this

StreetAngel95
Addicted Ledgie Join Date: Jan 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well i had just about the biggest fight EVER with my mother. She came into my room, knocked my whole record collection to the floor and said i was a "drug addict" because of how much time i spend on FM/Stevie. She was like, " you're trying to find yourself through Stevie Nicks" and " You're not social anymore"...which i guess might be true, but i never get along with my mom so it doesm't matter. Anyways, sorry to vent.....i need a couple cheerup songs? Any ideas???

I'm 48 and I TOTALLY found myself through Stevie Nicks, back in the 1970's, 1980's & 1990's ofcourse.