User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-28-2005, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber

That's frickin awesome!!!! I've got to hear that! Still, there's lots of other weird songs from the seventies I'm sure I haven't heard. You really lucked out with that find!
I always thought Funkytown by Lipps Inc was weird, but that one ended up getting remade/reissued/rehashed. UGH!!! How about Disco Duck (aka Disco Sucks) and Kung Fu Fighting?! Yes, there were some strange songs back then... Fly Robin Fly by the Silver Convention ... didn't have very many lyrics. 6 words to be exact. Lots of instrumentals... thanks to disco. Aahhh but it was fun to wear those skin tight bodysuits with spaghetti straps and those flowing skirts and platform shoes, twirling around the dance floor... in the gymnasium, of course. (edit: Stevie wasn't the only one doing it, she was more or less a sign of her times... but ya'll knew that already.)

But I digress, there were TONS of great rock and roll songs during this time period. I attribute it to the widespread use of Hashish and Thai Stick.

Laura
Old 05-28-2005, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel
I always thought Funkytown by Lipps Inc was weird, but that one ended up getting remade/reissued/rehashed. UGH!!! How about Disco Duck (aka Disco Sucks) and Kung Fu Fighting?! Yes, there were some strange songs back then... Fly Robin Fly by the Silver Convention ... didn't have very many lyrics. 6 words to be exact. Lots of instrumentals... thanks to disco. Aahhh but it was fun to wear those skin tight bodysuits with spaghetti straps and those flowing skirts and platform shoes, twirling around the dance floor... in the gymnasium, of course.

But I digress, there were TONS of great rock and roll songs during this time period. I attribute it to the widespread use of Hashish and Thai Stick.

Laura
You thought funkytown was weird? I love that song! Perhaps some of it seems more normal to me cause I grew up directly with it. But, yeah, actually, Kung Fu fighting and Disco Duck are pretty strange. I agree about skintight bodysuits with spaghetti straps. Wholeheartedly.
There were tons of great rock songs - mostly what I hear on the radio are those. But I rarely hear the more unusual songs, or the not strictly rock songs, which is what the radio station he found made me crave.... All hail hashish and Thai Stick!!!!!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-28-2005, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You thought funkytown was weird? I love that song! Perhaps some of it seems more normal to me cause I grew up directly with it. But, yeah, actually, Kung Fu fighting and Disco Duck are pretty strange. I agree about skintight bodysuits with spaghetti straps. Wholeheartedly.
There were tons of great rock songs - mostly what I hear on the radio are those. But I rarely hear the more unusual songs, or the not strictly rock songs, which is what the radio station he found made me crave.... All hail hashish and Thai Stick!!!!!
And to think my boobs actually looked GOOD in those bodysuits. But now, they'd look kinda like this:

What about this song: "Yellow River" by Lobo

Yellow river yellow river
Is in my mind and in my eyes
Yellow river yellow river
Is in my blood it's the place I love
Got no time for explanation got no time to lose
Tomorrow night you'll find me
Sleeping underneath the moon at yellow river

Bad part is, right about the time this song was on the radio there were these joke kind of things going around... song titles and their artists. One of them was "Yellow River" by I.P. Freely. Now go back and read the lyrics. EEEWWW!

Laura
...you're welcome! hehe
Old 05-28-2005, 03:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I always thought Funkytown by Lipps Inc was weird, but that one ended up getting remade/reissued/rehashed. UGH!!! How about Disco Duck (aka Disco Sucks) and Kung Fu Fighting?! Yes, there were some strange songs back then... Fly Robin Fly by the Silver Convention ... didn't have very many lyrics. 6 words to be exact. Lots of instrumentals... thanks to disco. Aahhh but it was fun to wear those skin tight bodysuits with spaghetti straps and those flowing skirts and platform shoes, twirling around the dance floor... in the gymnasium, of course. (edit: Stevie wasn't the only one doing it, she was more or less a sign of her times... but ya'll knew that already.)

Laura
Gawd! I was born in the wrong decade! Dressing like Stevie, listening to this stuff and Hashish. What more could a girl ask for.. What's Thai Stick?
Old 05-28-2005, 03:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And to think my boobs actually looked GOOD in those bodysuits. But now, they'd look kinda like this:
LMAO

Yellow River is about pee?
Old 05-28-2005, 03:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagringader&r
Gawd! I was born in the wrong decade! Dressing like Stevie, listening to this stuff and Hashish. What more could a girl ask for.. What's Thai Stick?
It was a LOT of FUN growing up in the 70s!! Oh Yes it Was... and there was no such thing as HIV. It was Peace, Love and DOPE. Like Stevie said... you had to be there to understand what it was like.

Sesly, I can't help but wonder what I could have accomplished if I hadn't "WASTED" so much time and paid more attention to my studies.

Thai Stick was high grade pot wrapped around a bamboo stick tied with thread. Sometimes the pot was laced with mind altering substances.

Laura
... "never going back again"
Old 05-28-2005, 03:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thai Stick was high grade pot wrapped around a bamboo stick tied with thread. Sometimes the pot was laced with mind altering substances.

Laura
... "never going back again"
Hella cool!
Old 05-28-2005, 03:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tonight, they played the coolest jam:

Gold – John Stewart with Stevie – 79
Wam Bam Shang-A-Lang – Silver - 76
Don’t Call Us, We’ll Call You – Sugarloaf – 75
I’m Not In Love – 10cc – 79
Dreams – FM – 77
Year of the Cat – Al Stewart – 77
My Sharona – The Knack - 79
American Woman - The Guess Who - 70

They give you the artists and the years, too. Anyone heard these songs? Other than Dreams of course They play some dorky stuff too, but a lot of it is totally cool.
Well, "Gold" and "Year of the Cat" (because it's on a compilation I have), and who HASN'T heard "My Sharona" or "American Woman?"

Regarding the Guess Who, I've actually seen them twice, once in Columbus, OH and once in Windsor, Ontario (on the Fourth of July no less!). They're my favorite Canadian band. Incidentally, their guitarist was Randy Bachman, who went on to for Bachman-Turner Overdrive who had hits with "Takin' Care Of Business" and "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LMAO

Yellow River is about pee?
Nah, I think Yellow River was a place. Whoever wrote the song musta liked it. Hippies love nature. Some songs were about places they didn't like ... "Oh Lord, I'm stuck in Lodi again." That's the cool thing about those songs... they are a bit light-hearted and simple minded in comparison to something like "Eight Mile" or "187 on the undercover cop." Sigh... if we could only warp ourselves back on the Holodeck.

Laura
Old 05-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nah, I think Yellow River was a place. Whoever wrote the song musta liked it. Hippies love nature. Some songs were about places they didn't like ... "Oh Lord, I'm stuck in Lodi again." That's the cool thing about those songs... they are a bit light-hearted and simple minded in comparison to something like "Eight Mile" or "187 on the undercover cop." Sigh... if we could only warp ourselves back on the Holodeck.

Laura
I'd love to warp back, try some of that Thai Stick, listen to AM pop all day, be a total hippie, experience free love and catch a bunch of FM shows. Seeing Stevie back then would be unfrickinbelievable

Yeah, these songs are very light-hearted. I heard three more I totally dug.
You Could Have Been A Lady, April Wine, 72
Ballroom Blitz – Sweet, 75
Chevy Van, Sammy Johns, 75

I'm writing all these down and plan to make a mixed cd I've heard some of it, but can't believe all the songs I missed. These don't get played on the radio ever
Old 05-28-2005, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd love to warp back, try some of that Thai Stick, listen to AM pop all day, be a total hippie, experience free love and catch a bunch of FM shows. Seeing Stevie back then would be unfrickinbelievable
There are days when I would love to warp back... all the stress and violence these days gets to be a bit too much. Of course, I can imagine my parents used to think the same thing when I was growing up.

Okay, I almost hate to admit this, but for Christmas last year, I bought myself two box sets of 70s music. So my previous post about box sets wasn't exactly a joke. Here are some titles:

1970:
Band of Gold - Freda Payne
Arizona - Mark Lindsey
Love Grows (where my Rosemary Goes) Edison Lighthouse
Hitchin a Ride - Vanity Fare --- everybody used to hitchike in the 70s!
Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image

1971:
One Toke Over the Line - Brewer and Shipley
Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling - The Fortunes
Treat Her Like a Lady - Corneilius Brothers and Sister Rose
Have You Seen Her - The Chi-Lites
I Just Want to Celebrate - Rare Earth
Day After Day - Badfinger

1972:
Brandy - Looking Glass
Nice to Be With You - Gallery
Too Late To Turn Back Now - Cornielius Brothers
Precious and Few - Climax
Rock and Roll Lullaby - BJ Thomas
Baby Blue - Badfinger
All the Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople
Oh Girl - Chi-Lites

Don't know the exact years for these:
Kiss You All Over - Exile
Hello It's Me - Todd Rundgren
On and On - Stephan Bishop
Boogie Nights - Heatwave
Brother Louie - Stories (this is a good one about bi-racial relationship)
Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils (I think this one is about lesbians)
Right Back Where We Started From - Maxine Nightengale
So Into You - Atlanta Rhythm Section
Midnight at the Oasis - Maria Muldaur
Fox on the Run - Sweet
Love Machine - Miracles
Me and Mrs. Jones - Billy Paul (about an exta marital affair)

And there are more... but these are my favs off the box sets and that gives you some titles to look for and listen to.

Have fun!!! I really love this old music because it reminds me of all the fun I had when I was a lot younger. That's so cool you're into it!

Laura

(Edit: Now that I think of it, I'd bet some of the songs listed above are played on some "oldies" FM stations ... I don't listen to the radio much anymore... commercials annoy me. )

Last edited by desertangel; 05-28-2005 at 05:22 AM..
Old 05-28-2005, 05:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There are days when I would love to warp back... all the stress and violence these days gets to be a bit too much. Of course, I can imagine my parents used to think the same thing when I was growing up.

Okay, I almost hate to admit this, but for Christmas last year, I bought myself two box sets of 70s music. So my previous post about box sets wasn't exactly a joke. Here are some titles:

1970:
Band of Gold - Freda Payne
Arizona - Mark Lindsey
Love Grows (where my Rosemary Goes) Edison Lighthouse
Hitchin a Ride - Vanity Fare --- everybody used to hitchike in the 70s!
Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image

1971:
One Toke Over the Line - Brewer and Shipley
Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling - The Fortunes
Treat Her Like a Lady - Corneilius Brothers and Sister Rose
Have You Seen Her - The Chi-Lites
I Just Want to Celebrate - Rare Earth
Day After Day - Badfinger

1972:
Brandy - Looking Glass
Nice to Be With You - Gallery
Too Late To Turn Back Now - Cornielius Brothers
Precious and Few - Climax
Rock and Roll Lullaby - BJ Thomas
Baby Blue - Badfinger
All the Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople
Oh Girl - Chi-Lites

Don't know the exact years for these:
Kiss You All Over - Exile
Hello It's Me - Todd Rundgren
On and On - Stephan Bishop
Boogie Nights - Heatwave
Brother Louie - Stories (this is a good one about bi-racial relationship)
Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils (I think this one is about lesbians)
Right Back Where We Started From - Maxine Nightengale
So Into You - Atlanta Rhythm Section
Midnight at the Oasis - Maria Muldaur
Fox on the Run - Sweet
Love Machine - Miracles
Me and Mrs. Jones - Billy Paul (about an exta marital affair)

And there are more... but these are my favs off the box sets and that gives you some titles to look for and listen to.

Have fun!!! I really love this old music because it reminds me of all the fun I had when I was a lot younger. That's so cool you're into it!

Laura
Wow. Of all of those, I've heard: I Just Want To Celebrate, All The Young Dudes (love that song), Kiss You All Over, Hello It's Me (I heard Stevie likes that one ), Boogie Nights, and Me and Mrs. Jones. Some of the others, I might know if I heard them but don't know the titles. Can I ask where you got your box set? I've got a lot of digging ahead of me..

Thanks
Old 05-28-2005, 05:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow. Of all of those, I've heard: I Just Want To Celebrate, All The Young Dudes (love that song), Kiss You All Over, Hello It's Me (I heard Stevie likes that one ), Boogie Nights, and Me and Mrs. Jones. Some of the others, I might know if I heard them but don't know the titles. Can I ask where you got your box set? I've got a lot of digging ahead of me..

Thanks
Todd is cool. You know about him and Bebe Buell and Liv Tyler, right? Not to be Tabloid-ish or anything.

I got my box sets at Wally World (aka Wal-Mart) - don't know if they normally carry stuff like that or if it was one of those Christmas type things where everything was in a box set just-in-time-for-gift-giving.

Okay, now I'm curious... how old are you?

Laura
Old 05-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I guess I should qualify my statement before ya'll start thinking it took me 19 years to get thru high school.... (1974-1977)

And most of us had NO CLUE we would STILL be hearing the stuff on the radio today. My circle of friends felt most of that stuff was ... highly disposable. When we hung out together we listened to Led Zepplin, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Creedence Clearwater and Pink Floyd. When I was alone with my transistor, I listened to the stuff you listed. I refer to it as "AM pop." Those days there were still a lot of AM stations that played songs like Green Eyed Lady and The Night Chicago Died. Well they make good Karaoke songs.

....'scuze me while I wrap a blanket and shawl around me as I'm sitting here in my rocking chair. Whadyasaysonny?Icanthearyou!

Laura
...who will still be listening to Abba in her retirement years...

I graduated 76, so I am VERY familiar with that music.....MY music of choice was KISS, AC/DC, Journey, Boston, CCR, any and ALL southern rock....Personally, I think music went downhill as soon as rap entered the picture, which is why you hear a lot of artists doing covers of all the older stuff, even "Sounds of Silence" which is a shocker! I remember "pop" music, and I like most of it, but you can keep your ABBA thank you very much!!

I agree with you, Laura, I have no use for (C)RAP) music.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I soooo want to get this station. Just to hear the song that exists called Popcorn by Hot Butter.
I never really get enough Abba in my life, either...
Popcorn was my sister's fave song for a long time! think the miami vice theme song slowed down, like someone was playing the synth with two fingers instead of two hands!

ps: this is post 1000