User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-24-2004, 03:16 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
It wouldn't bother me if Stevie retired...

YEAH!! That way we could see Fleetwood Mac EVERY summer, touring the sheds, opening for REO Speedwagon or Crosby, Stills & Nash without having to sit through those droning Stevie tunes. If Stevie would just get out of the way, maybe they could get on a double bill with Styx THIS very summer, in fact.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ooooo, this is going to get intersting!!
Old 03-24-2004, 03:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bekka Bramlett kicked ass! Seriously.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:42 AM

A point I would like to make is:

Thank God there are alternatives to Britney Spears and the masses of junkfood music.

As a child I bought Mirage and was amazed that a group could have 3 singers, with 2 of them women! The blend of voices was so interesting to me. Yes younger people have good taste too!

They should retire when they can't physically do it (possibly Christine) or don't have their hearts in it (possibly anyone at any given time at their jobs!)

Here's hoping they make more interesting music!
Old 03-24-2004, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
I want the same sound in all the tracks. If that means re-recording Down On Rodeo, Hit n Run etc, then they should. If the band as a whole is going to have a bigger impact on the market, it needs to 'stand united', or fall divided, commercially (not that SYW 'fell' - but it didn't quite soar).
Excellent points, Joe. This has been my big complaint about SYW. Even with its quirks, Tusk has a uniformity of sound that is simply absent in SYW. Tango is probably the best example of how everything fits in cohesively from a sonic perspective.

With SYW, you hear What's the World Coming To, and you think we're going back to the 1975-1977 sound. Then you get punched in the face with Murrow. Then comes Illume (a song that is growing on me) and it kicks you in the derriere.

Not that I mind getting beat up by the sound, mind you, it's just that it gets a bit jarring and uneven.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rianbay1
YEAH!! That way we could see Fleetwood Mac EVERY summer, touring the sheds, opening for REO Speedwagon or Crosby, Stills & Nash without having to sit through those droning Stevie tunes. If Stevie would just get out of the way, maybe they could get on a double bill with Styx THIS very summer, in fact.

A lot of people would cringe at your association of Crosby, Stills and Nash with the likes of REO and Styx. Incidentally, however, Stephen Stills co-wrote a song with Kevin Cronin at one point.

Another fun little fact: We all know Clinton used Don't Stop as his 1992 campaign theme song. If anyone knows what song he used in 1996 and by what band, please step up.

Hint: It was one of the bands mentioned above.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: should stevie and f. mac retire?

Quote:
Originally posted by mike_nh
I know this will be unpopular with the ''hardcore'' fans but
to be realistic stevie had a very good point in the documantary
by saying that they need to sell to people betwen the ages
of 10-27. and if you know anything about stevie you know that
it's all about the lyrics. thats why we listen..the music is great
but right now in theese times people won't get it. and stevie
is right. times have changed and so have the fans. Even if
they write the best songs of their lives no one will really
hear it because it's all about ''the look'' you got people like
britney,eminem,and all those others that are just out to make
a quick buck and get noticed for doing something shocking.
In my opinion the true artists of our generation like stevie,
fleetwood mac,bob seger,the eagles,ect really don't fit in
today's world of music. so instead of trying to compeate with
the ''artists'' of today they should take pride in what they have
done. stevie and fleetwooc mac don't need to compeate with
anyone. stevie is a legend and she left her mark as one of
the all time greats and no one will ever be able to take that away
from her. stevie and fleetwood mac have nothing left to prove
so thats why i think they should retire.
And as for stevie..she's got one hurdle left....see ya in 2006
when she gets inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame as a
solo artist.
No way should they retire. I think they're only getting better age.

And maybe it's just me because most of the artists I listen to are not from my generation, but I think that older bands have more to offer. They're tighter, more seasoned, and have have finely tuned their craft of singing/songwriting. Older artists have more wisdom and to me, are generally more interesting because they have lived the life they're talking about in their songs. These young upstarts (god, I'm starting to sound like an old fogie and in my twenties no less!) sing about their unexperienced lives and it's like,....hmmm, so what?
Old 03-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

A lot of people would cringe at your association of Crosby, Stills and Nash with the likes of REO and Styx. Incidentally, however, Stephen Stills co-wrote a song with Kevin Cronin at one point.

Another fun little fact: We all know Clinton used Don't Stop as his 1992 campaign theme song. If anyone knows what song he used in 1996 and by what band, please step up.

Hint: It was one of the bands mentioned above.
I AM cringing at the mention of CSN in the same paragraph with those other bands, but the rest of the original statement was . The Clinton thing...Shoot! I know it was an REO song, but I can't put my finger on it (I suppose that's a good thing?!).
Old 03-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I think the band is as aware as anyone, that they'll most likely never again sell 4 million copies of a new studio album, but that's no reason why they should break up, as long as they still feel that the chemistry is there, and as long as they still enjoy being in each other's company.
Because they're just as artistically viable, if not more so, than most of their "classic rock" peers.
SO true!
Old 03-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Miranda
They should do one album of all new material worked on in the studio together from start to finish. Has that happened since Rumours?
Wow! One tends to forget that, but it's true! That NEEDS to happen. The mere thought of Lindsey and Stevie actually fully collaborating on a song makes my heart soar. I think it would mean a lot to them, too...ESPECIALLY Stevie (I'm sure I don't have to explain).
Old 03-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by rianbay1
Stevie is the best thing FM has going for it right now. If you want to see FM degraded and play at county fairs then something is wrong.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 03-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
A lot of people would cringe at your association of Crosby, Stills and Nash with the likes of REO and Styx.
Quote:
Originally posted by EveryHour
I AM cringing at the mention of CSN in the same paragraph with those other bands, but the rest of the original statement was .
I think rianbay1 is just commenting on the fact that, in 1994, without Stevie, Lindsey & Christine, Fleetwood Mac was opening up for Crosby, Stills & Nash, and later playing summer nostalgia festivals with REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar.

Absolutely nothing against that lineup of the band, but they weren't exactly the huge concert draw the current lineup is.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
Stevie is the best thing FM has going for it right now.
If only she'd throw a little rock into her roll!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: should stevie and f. mac retire?

Quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller
No way should they retire. I think they're only getting better age.
Our answers certainly run the gamut. I think Fleetwood Mac should retire, every last stinkin' one of 'em.

They're my band & I love 'em ... but ... go away, already!

Then wetcamelfood & I (& a few others who want to help) can break into the vaults & circulate the rest of the really good stuff to the fans.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I think rianbay1 is just commenting on the fact that, in 1994, without Stevie, Lindsey & Christine, Fleetwood Mac was opening up for Crosby, Stills & Nash, and later playing summer nostalgia festivals with REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar.

Absolutely nothing against that lineup of the band, but they weren't exactly the huge concert draw the current lineup is.
On the other hand, it's not like they were touring behind an album on those tours, either. Remember, "Time" came out after they stopped touring. In fact, I think they only did one show after the album was released. And, only four months after the album was released, Mick pulled the plug on the whole thing.

This was a band was just starting out (again). Remember, the "Rumours" band opened for other acts, too in their early days. Ironically, they opened for Dave Mason at one point.

To be sure, I'd hate to see them doing tours with REO and Benatar again. I wasn't all that crazy about them doing that tour in the first place.

But, I was all over the CSN tour. THAT was the best bill I've ever seen, and one of the best shows I've ever seen. If they could get on a touring circuit where they would be touring with other credible musicians, I think it would be great.

I'd like a happy medium. While I'd hate to see them doing the state fair circuit or the cheesy nostalgia tours, I'd love to see them tour more than once every five years, charging $175 a ticket.

Say what you want about the Bekka years, at least we got a lot of shows that weren't expensive.

THE Stephen Hopkins