The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't get it. I thought BN was a story circa 1976-77, but Tusk was released in 1979, almost 1080 I guess.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
I don't get it. I thought BN was a story circa 1976-77, but Tusk was released in 1979, almost 1080 I guess.
It begins in the mid 1970s, but follows the downfall of the characters through the 1980s. Actually, NY Eve 1980 is when the downfall begins for most.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Very ODDLY, it was two characters that "I" don't recall ever being in the released version. A black couple(and the man wasn't "Buck"). The man punches the woman, while she's sitting on the floor. She follows him to the door, and (apparently) kills him with an iron skillet.
Then, it cuts to Marky driving, while snorting from a "silver spoon".
This deserved to be in the Unexpected FM thread, unfortunately it was started 4 years after your posted this. Anyway I found that scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVY2vCkGVus

And I must said I didn't love Boogie Nights but it was fine. If I had to mention a movie from Mark's early years it would be The Basketball Diaries. I did like that very much.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
This deserved to be in the Unexpected FM thread, unfortunately it was started 4 years after your posted this. Anyway I found that scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVY2vCkGVus

And I must said I didn't love Boogie Nights but it was fine. If I had to mention a movie from Mark's early years it would be The Basketball Diaries. I did like that very much.
I thought the movie was pretty good but I hate Mark. What the movie did really well was throw such an authentic 70s vibe especially with the music. When the movies got to the 80s, its use of music was also very dramatic. The drug deal scene where Sister Christian is playing so loud makes you really nervous. You feel the same nervousness as the actors on the screen in such a drugged out wild moment. Excellent use of sound and music. What 70s movie can exist without at least one Fleetwood Mac song. Although it really was probably 1980 in the film. Tusk fit that scene pretty well, shame it was cut.
Now here is the kicker. I dont really care to see any Wahlberg movie since he is always some sort of action hero. There is one movie that I like where he is the star and its pretty much hated by everyone. I love the movie The Happening and I usually dont like Sci Fi movies. The movie was panned by everyone but I always like movies were complete strangers are thrown together for survival. But what can I say, I think OSOTM and Street Angel are good albums

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-29-2024 at 07:24 AM..
Old 05-29-2024, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Now here is the kicker. I dont really care to see any Wahlberg movie since he is always some sort of action hero. There is one movie that I like where he is the star and its pretty much hated by everyone. I love the movie The Happening and I usually dont like Sci Fi movies. The movie was panned by everyone but I always like movies were complete strangers are thrown together for survival. But what can I say, I think OSOTM and Street Angel are good albums
I agree with you about The Happening, I like that movie too.

Just in case in The Basketball Diaries Mark (and Leo) are anything but action heroes. It was an interesting movie.
Old 05-29-2024, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I agree with you about The Happening, I like that movie too.

Just in case in The Basketball Diaries Mark (and Leo) are anything but action heroes. It was an interesting movie.
He was good in Ted and The Happening but I am so tired of him going on Stern or some other show always talking how he built muscle for this role or that role. He turned down Brokeback Mountain because of the gay stuff. Some actor he is that he could not even pretend to be a gay guy in denial about being gay. When confronted that the guy who got the role he turned down won an Academy Award for it, he gets defensive.

In any event, check out this guy that does spot on impressions of him especially the last part where his face always has that confused, constipated look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C7LYMYxq84

Then the Mark Wahlberg workout that he talks about before filming a movie
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/37wUJCKyt3o

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-29-2024 at 02:30 PM..
Old 05-29-2024, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
He was good in Ted and The Happening but I am so tired of him going on Stern or some other show always talking how he built muscle for this role or that role.
He still does that? Well actually I have never seen any MW interview. But I remember I read he accepted the role in Planet of the Apes with the condition of not appearing shirtless. So I thought abs and muscles were not so important since 2001.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Boogie Nights is a fantastic movie. Burt Reynolds should have won the Oscar. A career best performance from him. The film gets the look of the period just right. I’m not a die hard Mark Wahlberg fan but he had made some decent movies. Three Kings, The Perfect Storm are good movies.

I remember when it came out because it was a big comeback for Burt Reynolds and the critics really praised his performance.

It was on Roger Ebert’s 10 Best Movies of the Year.
Old 06-12-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
Boogie Nights is a fantastic movie. Burt Reynolds should have won the Oscar. A career best performance from him. The film gets the look of the period just right. I’m not a die hard Mark Wahlberg fan but he had made some decent movies. Three Kings, The Perfect Storm are good movies.

I remember when it came out because it was a big comeback for Burt Reynolds and the critics really praised his performance.

It was on Roger Ebert’s 10 Best Movies of the Year.
Agree with the Walberg films. All good movies!
Old 06-13-2024, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've seen few MW movies. Most of them, I liked.

The Basketball Diaries - Good!!!
Fear - Just ok
Boogie Nights - Good
Perfect Storm - Good
Planet of the Apes - Meh
The Happening - Good
Ted - Good
Deepwater Horizon - Good!
Father Stu - Meh
Old 06-13-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I've seen few MW movies. Most of them, I liked.

The Basketball Diaries - Good!!!
Fear - Just ok
Boogie Nights - Good
Perfect Storm - Good
Planet of the Apes - Meh
The Happening - Good
Ted - Good
Deepwater Horizon - Good!
Father Stu - Meh
Agree. Nothing is lightning in a bottle. But some solid stuff. Ted was pretty funny. Didn't need 2 of them, however.