The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-16-2003, 08:48 AM

To be perfectly honest, I've been a little surprised at Lindsey's choice of the White Stripes and Queens of the Stone Age to extoll their virtues. The White Stripes are cool because they get a big sound out of very little, and they have a good image to go with it, but I just can't get into their sound. Give me the Strokes over these guys any day. As for Queens, I know nothing about them.

There are bands doing far more interesting work out there than these guys. A3 (does the theme to the Sopranos), Sparklehorse, the Eels, MC Honky (Eels' alter ego) and Be Good Tanyas come to mind. The Philly band Marah did an album in the late 90s, called Kids in Philly, which was nothing short of brilliant. It got some minor airplay, then the band went back to the studio to record commercial drivel.

There is plenty of good music being made today, crossing all kinds of boundaries, but it's hard to find because the airwaves are cluttered with the formulaic crap. I suspect Queens of the Stone Age falls into the formulaic category, but the White Stripes seem to be genuine, even if their music is derivative.

I wonder if Lindsey's appreciation of the Stripes and Queens means that we will be hearing a more raw, grungy sound from him next.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by PollyThePenguin
Lindsey? Using "complex words??" Wha????? The man is about as eloquent as Anna Nicole Smith. In other "words" he's not the brightest bulb in the fridge and relies on a string of cliches he plays over and over like a broken record:

It was a survival move

It's not just sweet it's bittersweet

Things move in cycles

Let's quit lauding the man like he were Shakespeare for cripessakes.

HEY....Polly the Penguin......I simply meant that half the time he uses words in phrases that the average person would not think to toss in.....such as myself!! In interviews a lot of the time he draws the sentences on and on with words I seriously have to stop and say to myself....what the??? Where the hell did he pull that one from?? Now I don't know whether he sits and reads the dictionary every night so he can come off as having a slightly better vocabulary, or whether he really is well versed......that was not my point. My point was that he just does. And HE DOES. lol. Jeez. I never claimed he could write like Shakespeare.

Kristin
Old 06-16-2003, 09:11 AM

I sense that he reads a lot of poetry. And that will expand anybody's vocabulary.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I sense that he reads a lot of poetry. And that will expand anybody's vocabulary.
I do as well. I think this really shows in his lyrics. I also think SN does, but she rewrites them a little for her use a la her take on N. Hawthorn in "Running Through the Garden"

Also, one of the members of the band must also like art because the covers of TITN (for that period at least), BTM, and the hand pic on SYW (circa 1991), were all very very artsy. In fact, one of my favorite "bad" reviews ever on FM was the ascerbic if not pithy BTM reviewer that said, to paraphrase, "its too bad the songs did not have as much art as the painting on the cover!"

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Junior Ledgie

Dunno about the SYW pic, but I remember Buckingham and Dashut being credited for the Tango "cover concept" in the liner notes....
Old 06-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
"There once was a man from Nantucket....."

Nah!!
Old 06-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default LBFBS Indicates Positive Find

Yep. It was Guitar World Acoustic from '97. He's an F-Bomb dropper. Read On:

-----

GWA: Tusk, a gutsy, almost alternative follow-up to Rumours wasn’t a blockbuster. Was that the first indication that you might have to leave for musical rather than personal reasons?

LB: Well, it wasn’t a blowout, by any means. Once I started showing the band the stuff I was coming up with, they were really into it. The record company, on the other hand, went, "Oh ****!" [laughs] The backlash came more in the form of, "We’re not going to follow that process again." I was disappointed that the priorities seemed to be about selling records, and not about musical growth. And the new music that was coming along, like the Pretenders, the Police and especially the Clash. Between us, I would have much rather been in the Clash than Fleetwood Mac at that point. But it helped me define what my priorities were at the juncture. I wasn’t buying the premise that if it works, let’s run it into the ground. Maybe that goes against our idea of what capitalism’s all about, but I think the only way you have a long-term career is by being true to what you believe is right, to your true intentions.

-------

I'm sure the forum will turn that into ****.. but it really is the F-Bomb. Lindsey, you rule.

Sarah
Old 06-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: LBFBS Indicates Positive Find

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah
LB: ...Between us, I would have much rather been in the Clash than Fleetwood Mac at that point...
"Between us"? Um, Lindsey, you're doing an interview with a MAGAZINE. Was that supposed to be "off the record"?

P.S. It's not just Lindsey - a lot of men seem to like to use the f-word. Wonder why. lol But I don't exactly find it admirable or "cool."

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-16-2003 at 02:19 PM..
Old 06-16-2003, 03:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Re: LBFBS Indicates Positive Find

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
"Between us"? Um, Lindsey, you're doing an interview with a MAGAZINE. Was that supposed to be "off the record"?

P.S. It's not just Lindsey - a lot of men seem to like to use the f-word. Wonder why. lol But I don't exactly find it admirable or "cool."
I don't find it cool either.

I think that people who use the word constantly, come off as being too stupid to think of a civilized way of expressing themselves.

They seem to be mostly frustrated and very angry people.

Also, the word loses it's impact when it's overused.

susieq
Old 06-16-2003, 03:44 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:48 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by PollyThePenguin
Lindsey? Using "complex words??" Wha????? The man is about as eloquent as Anna Nicole Smith. In other "words" he's not the brightest bulb in the fridge and relies on a string of cliches he plays over and over like a broken record:

It was a survival move

It's not just sweet it's bittersweet

Things move in cycles

Let's quit lauding the man like he were Shakespeare for cripessakes.

I think Lindsey speaks rather intelligently. The phrases you used above were probably chosen after much thought. Lindsey knew he would be asked certain questions over and over and he needed a consistent response that would also be diplomatic. I think he did a pretty good job.

susieq
Old 06-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like it when he drops it. The big word usage sometimes makes people sound pretentious.

Glad to see him come back to Earth on rare occasion with those of us who come off as being too stupid to think of a civilized way to express ourselves.

Sarah Frick'n G

CNNRadio commercial: blahblahblah whether you like it or not, people judge you by the words you use.. enhance your vocabulary overnight with the whatever-its-called-method. 1-800-whateverthehellthenumberis.