User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
I would have limited the list to couples who not only worked together, but are generally thought to have brought out each other's best music.
That's certainly true of Lindsey and Stevie to a much higher degree than John and Yoko or Paul and Linda, in my eyes. There's a trend in music blogging of putting the Beatles first on any list, regardless of criteria. Here it seems a bit of a stretch...
Oh really? Well, John Lennon's songwriting changed dramatically once Yoko came into his life. She inspired him intensely: romantically, in his political outlook, his attitude towards women, and his self-expression.All of this came out in his music, and she was very much his muse. For his part, he motivated and inspired her to channel her avant garde leanings into pop/rock music, which she would never have done without John's influence. Remixes of her singles she made with him have charted on the dance charts in the past decade. I'd say that's a huge feat for a lady who's art has never had the biggest mainstream appeal.

Plus, they were a beautiful couple who loved one another passionately. John put everything on the line for Yoko, and she as well. After he was killed, she has devoted her life to protecting his legacy with great love and admiration. She was asked recently if she would ever remarry and she replied, "After John, how could I?"

I'm with SteveMacD. I really adore LB&SN and they should have been higher on the list, but the Beatles placements belongs exactly where they are.

Last edited by Nico; 07-12-2011 at 07:39 AM..
Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would think John Lennon and Paul McCartney were more each others' soul mates than Yoko or Linda. In fact, had they put John/Paul as #1 I wouldn't have objected.
Now that is a thought...I remember reading an article on how John and Linda were probably the greatest loves of Paul's life. I don't know...they were absolutely an unmatchable, untouchable team John and Paul. And kind of gorgeous together in a sense...

But still, John and Yoko FTW. And it's not my place to say who was the "greatest love story" on the list but I'd say it'd be them as well. They beat a lot of odds and took a lot of risks for their love. And no one can deny what they had was special.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Ummm, number 1 and number 3 could get it with the "one relationship most documented in song."

And if we were to believe the assumption, LB and SN are no slouches.
What I meant specifically was that James and Carly were two artists with enormous solo careers who wrote songs about both sides of the relationship- both his story and her story. Yes, John obligingly gave Yoko half the songs and credit on his albums. But Yoko was hardly an artist in her own right. Come on... am I the only one who bought a John/Yoko album and made a cassette version that edited out all of the Yoko songs? I am sure I am one of a gazillion!

Quote:
There's a trend in music blogging of putting the Beatles first on any list, regardless of criteria. Here it seems a bit of a stretch...
That's no trend; that has always been the case, especially when it came to Rolling Stone. Even during the 80s, when Paul McCartney was churning out sh** album after sh** album, it was almost as if he could walk on water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Apparently Ray Davies was gay, so I guess that makes them a very interesting couple after all.
So does this mean he is no longer born that way?

Quote:
I agree that they had a great love story, absolutely. Maybe the greatest on the list. I'm just not sure that that should make them the #3 rock couple.
Yes, she was his muse, but I would think couples in which both halves contributed to actively making great music, rather than inspiring it, would be more fitting.
Precisely. It's about rock couples, which means both members of the couple need to be musicians. John/Yoko did not deserve to be #1 because Yoko was pretty much a charity case. She had/has absolutely no business recording music. I call B.S. on all of the female singers she has supposedly inspired. Yma Sumac, much? If she did not serendipitously glom onto John back in the day, I suspect she would still be siphoning off her family's trust fund whilst making art installations that people don't buy.

Quote:
For his part, he motivated and inspired her to channel her avant garde leanings into pop/rock music, which she would never have done without John's influence. Remixes of her singles she made with him have charted on the dance charts in the past decade. I'd say that's a huge feat for a lady who's art has never had the biggest mainstream appeal.
So are you saying that John facilitating the recording of Yoko's caterwauling and off-key singing is somehow a gift to the world?

Quote:
Plus, they were a beautiful couple who loved one another passionately.
Two words: Lady Bic.

Quote:
I'm with SteveMacD. I really adore LB&SN and they should have been higher on the list, but the Beatles placements belongs exactly where they are.
Again, in the case of the Beatles, we are talking about rock star dudes who elevated their wives into the spotlight via nepotism. These ladies were not really musicians. Any monkey can be taught to play a few chords on the keyboard (which was turned way down in the sound mix). And we have all heard the raw recordings of Linda McCartney singing live. I am sure Linda and Yoko were/are lovely women who have accomplished wonderful things in their lives, not the least of which being the raising of families and providing companionship to their rock star hubbies. But that is no reason to elevate them to some kind of vaunted status within rock stardom. Stevie and Lindsey, James and Carly, Richard and Linda Thompson- these are real rock stars/rock couples.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...-us-0711-2011/
They should have been higher on the list, tbh. Some of these people (Arcade Fire, I'm looking at you) shouldn't have even been on there. Also, where are Sonny & Cher?
I'm just happy to see Lindsey and Stevie mentioned (entire websites devoted to their coupledom, after all). Perhaps "legendary" was not the most fitting word for this scattered list, but it looks to me like they are just trying to include couples from many generations to reach a broader audience. Kim Deal is legendary to a lot of 30 year old survivors of the grunge era. 10 couples isn't a lot to work with so I'm sure some good choices got left out.

I've been an Arcade Fire fan since their humble beginnings playing in tiny clubs and I find the them fascinating. Win & Regine are like the mom and dad of a big crazy family, they make great music together, came on the scene very mysteriously (similar to Jack & Meg White), and they're both incredibly driven. Arcade Fire has not yet reached "legendary" status, but having just won their first Grammy I think they might be on their way!

Other couples I've seen mentioned, i.e. Pat Benetar and Neil Geraldo, cetainly earn legendary status for managing to stay married in the biz but I think their domestic bliss maybe resulted in sacrificing huge successes. Similar to what Stevie says now about sacrificing love & happiness for fame. I saw Pat Benetar in concert a few years ago for free at a small town 4th of July festival. She rocked! But it doesn't seem to me that drama is the name of her game. The listed couples all had/have tumultuous, emotional, possibly violent, and/or intense relationships and created some heavy hitting stuff as a result. Just my opinion though.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
But Yoko was hardly an artist in her own right. Come on... am I the only one who bought a John/Yoko album and made a cassette version that edited out all of the Yoko songs? I am sure I am one of a gazillion!

That's no trend; that has always been the case, especially when it came to Rolling Stone. Even during the 80s, when Paul McCartney was churning out sh** album after sh** album, it was almost as if he could walk on water.
John/Yoko did not deserve to be #1 because Yoko was pretty much a charity case. She had/has absolutely no business recording music. I call B.S. on all of the female singers she has supposedly inspired. Yma Sumac, much? If she did not serendipitously glom onto John back in the day, I suspect she would still be siphoning off her family's trust fund whilst making art installations that people don't buy.

So are you saying that John facilitating the recording of Yoko's caterwauling and off-key singing is somehow a gift to the world?

Again, in the case of the Beatles, we are talking about rock star dudes who elevated their wives into the spotlight via nepotism. These ladies were not really musicians. Any monkey can be taught to play a few chords on the keyboard (which was turned way down in the sound mix). And we have all heard the raw recordings of Linda McCartney singing live. I am sure Linda and Yoko were/are lovely women who have accomplished wonderful things in their lives, not the least of which being the raising of families and providing companionship to their rock star hubbies. But that is no reason to elevate them to some kind of vaunted status within rock stardom. Stevie and Lindsey, James and Carly, Richard and Linda Thompson- these are real rock stars/rock couples.

Keep going, I want to read more of your completely ignorant views regarding Yoko.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Keep going, I want to read more of your completely ignorant views regarding Yoko.
How precious (and ironic)- a so-called "musician" with a tin ear.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
How precious (and ironic)- a so-called "musician" with a tin ear.
Yikes. Hejira, your opinions about Yoko's music are absolutely understandable. She is not exactly the most accessible musical artist, but to say "Yoko was hardly an artist in her own right" is absolutely incorrect. Yoko was a classicaly trained pianist who was part of the 1960's Fluxus Movement and was a legitimately respected artist in the avant garde world BEFORE she met John Lennon. It was to her career detriment that she hooked up with one of the biggest superstars in rock music, and instead of his status adding credence to her accomplishments people just mocked and ridiculed her.

I can only speak for myself, but much of Yoko's music and art is inspirational. I have studied art and in the late 90's I purchased a career retrospective on her. Yoko Ono is a formidable talent in her genre, whether you want to believe it or not. And her music was not always based on "caterwauling," as she has many beautiful and poignant pieces. Her resurgence on the dance charts- which you sort of ignored in your response- is something to take note of. Those singles, for the most part, were made with John Lennon. He played on those records, and some of the best playing in his career actually.

But in any case, I don't want to besmirch your opinions as you have every right to them. I look at this list and see it's called "legendary" and think that it makes perfect sense that two of the Beatles would be so high. As far as legends go, they can't really be touched.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't say L&S should be in a higher place, because I'm a fan and can't be impartial.

Ok, the article says "both partners make music". Based on that, I really believe Ike & Tina should be higher, no matter how much attention they eclicted, they contributed far more, as a couple, than Paul & Linda. I repeat, as a couple. Wings were Wings because of Paul, IMHO, or maybe because Paul and members, but not because Paul and Linda. I mean without Linda, Wings would have been far less succesful? I don't think so. But without Ike (or Tina).. and of course without Lindsey (or Stevie)... hummm.

And of course where is Pat and Neil?? James and Carly?? and all other couples you mentioned.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I can't say L&S should be in a higher place, because I'm a fan and can't be impartial.

Ok, the article says "both partners make music". Based on that, I really believe Ike & Tina should be higher, no matter how much attention they eclicted, they contributed far more, as a couple, than Paul & Linda. I repeat, as a couple. Wings were Wings because of Paul, IMHO, or maybe because Paul and members, but not because Paul and Linda. I mean without Linda, Wings would have been far less succesful? I don't think so. But without Ike (or Tina).. and of course without Lindsey (or Stevie)... hummm.

And of course where is Pat and Neil?? James and Carly?? and all other couples you mentioned.
I think we should all compile our own Top 10 Rock Star couple list and discuss it. This list is obviously causing quite a stir!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yikes. Hejira, your opinions about Yoko's music are absolutely understandable. She is not exactly the most accessible musical artist, but to say "Yoko was hardly an artist in her own right" is absolutely incorrect. Yoko was a classicaly trained pianist who was part of the 1960's Fluxus Movement and was a legitimately respected artist in the avant garde world BEFORE she met John Lennon. It was to her career detriment that she hooked up with one of the biggest superstars in rock music, and instead of his status adding credence to her accomplishments people just mocked and ridiculed her.
I meant musical artist, if we're going to be that fastidiously picky about wording. Yoko Ono is/was not a musical artist in her own right. And just because you took some piano lessons, it doesn't automatically make you a musical artist, let alone a musician.

Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but much of Yoko's music and art is inspirational. I have studied art and in the late 90's I purchased a career retrospective on her. Yoko Ono is a formidable talent in her genre, whether you want to believe it or not. And her music was not always based on "caterwauling," as she has many beautiful and poignant pieces. Her resurgence on the dance charts- which you sort of ignored in your response- is something to take note of. Those singles, for the most part, were made with John Lennon. He played on those records, and some of the best playing in his career actually.
The dance remix that you mentioned features plenty of caterwauling. And success on the dance charts is kind of a dubious feat. I mean, I suppose it comes with some bragging rights. But there are plenty of nobodies with a Casio keyboard and an iMac that produce dance hit records all the time. I think it's great that you find inspiration in her music; one needs inspiration to live. For myself personally, I physically cannot tolerate atonal wobbly vibratos that are microtones off-pitch; I don't have perfect pitch, but I think I am close to it. And this is really personal, but when I hear Yoko shrieking, I hear my mother shrieking- it's a distinctly Asian sound, I guess.

Quote:
But in any case, I don't want to besmirch your opinions as you have every right to them. I look at this list and see it's called "legendary" and think that it makes perfect sense that two of the Beatles would be so high. As far as legends go, they can't really be touched.
Well, I appreciate your civilized approach to offering a countering view (unlike some knuckledraggers around here). While I do agree that John and Paul are/were probably the greatest songwriting duo in history, since we are on the topic of romantic couples, I think their collective greatness is vastly diluted by their pairing with decidedly less (non-) talented wives. Now if John Lennon hooked up with Joni Mitchell, I would agree unconditionally that they were the greatest, most legendary rock couple ever.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yoko was a classicaly trained pianist who was part of the 1960's Fluxus Movement and was a legitimately respected artist in the avant garde world BEFORE she met John Lennon....
I can only speak for myself, but much of Yoko's music and art is inspirational.
I do think history (or media) has been unfair with Yoko Ono, the "woman who broke up the Beatles". I think Beatles would break up anyway, sooner or later.

But I wouldn't like to know more about Yoko's music. What you say sounds interesting, maybe I judged too fast, but the only song I remember was one from 1982, something about my man, when she was singing Babalu-babalu-babalu, I love you, I love you. Babalu-babalu-babalu, I love you, I love you. I mean what was that?? Her voice sounded like Minnie Mouse, as I remember. And the video was ridiculously funny, sorry. So that song didn't make me research about Yoko other music works (I usually listen to a song and sometimes it makes look for the complete works of that band/singer. That happened to me with Pink Floyd, Simply Red, Pretenders, Annie Lennox, etc.. and of course Fleetwood Mac)

What I do thing it was great was the story about how John met Yoko. It describes a Yoko's art work that I do agree with John it was beautiful. I would have loved to see the full exhibition:

The viewer is invited to climb a white ladder, where at the top a magnifying glass, attached by a chain, hangs from a frame on the ceiling. The viewer uses the reading glass to discover a block letter "instruction" beneath the framed sheet of glass – it says "Y E S." It was through this work that Ono met her third husband and longtime collaborator, John Lennon." Lennon, when relating this story to Dick Cavett on his talk show in 1971, explained that if the word had been "no," he would have left the gallery and not come back, but was so moved by its positivity that he had to get to know Yoko.

I'm not an artist but I agree with John. And I would have liked to see more of Yoko's art (sculptures, paints, but no music)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey Sonny, have you seen Cher? Anyone?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Hey Sonny, have you seen Cher? Anyone?
My thoughts exactly. How they didn't make this list completely baffles me.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree that they had a great love story, absolutely. Maybe the greatest on the list. I'm just not sure that that should make them the #3 rock couple.
Yes, she was his muse, but I would think couples in which both halves contributed to actively making great music, rather than inspiring it, would be more fitting.

Believe me--I don't think Stevie and Lindsey are the greater couple. But as Stevie oft reminds us, they remain musical soul mates. I would think John Lennon and Paul McCartney were more each others' soul mates than Yoko or Linda. In fact, had they put John/Paul as #1 I wouldn't have objected.

If you haven't seen Nowhere Boy, see it! see it!! see it!!! see it!!!!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
If you haven't seen Nowhere Boy, see it! see it!! see it!!! see it!!!!
I've seen Nowhere Boy and I highly recommend it as well. I really came to understand John as a man and many of the things that made him such a complex and fascinating person. It all stemmed from his childhood. I recommend it to anyone, even people who could give a snit about the Beatles.