The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That was a fascinating read. Thank you for posting this. I truly believe that it was best the Rhiannon movie was not made at that time. Everything happens for a reason and if this Rhiannon movie project does happen, there are more outlets today for distribution with NetFlix, Amazon, etc... for DVDs and more cable channel options. I really do hope this does see the light of day.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Although I, and millions of other rock fans, saw her as the principle star of Fleetwood Mac because of her hit songs “Rhiannon” and “Dreams,” she was treated as “a space cadet” or “chick singer.” She was devastated that one of her favorite songs, “Silver Springs,” had been excluded from the Rumours album, presumably to limit the amount of songwriting income she would receive.

I guess now we know the real reason Silver Springs was excluded.
That didn't make sense to me because SS was replaced by another song written by her: I Don't Want to Know.

Another explanation that surprised me was that Waylon Jennings passed on Leather and Lace. I got the impression from Stevie that they didn't do it because he and Jessi Coulter broke up.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
That didn't make sense to me because SS was replaced by another song written by her: I Don't Want to Know.
I think Goldberg was presuming that Silver Springs could have been a single, like Dreams or Go Your Own Way. Since a royalty is paid every time radio plays a song, Silver Springs could have made a killing, half of that money going to Stevie. Even though Silver Springs was included with Go Your Own Way on the single release, radio was focused more on Go Your Own Way. So Silver Springs was largely ignored.

Quote:
Another explanation that surprised me was that Waylon Jennings passed on Leather and Lace. I got the impression from Stevie that they didn't do it because he and Jessi Coulter broke up.
I think both events could have happened. My feeling is that they both agreed it wouldn't be appropriate for him to sing the song due to the breakup.

Last edited by SpyNote; 09-20-2008 at 01:27 AM..
Old 09-20-2008, 02:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting that, Daniel...very interesting!!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You got that impression from her because that's exactly what she said in interviews in the 1980s. She said the two of them broke up & one of them offered to record it by himself, but Stevie wanted it recorded by a man & a woman.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Although I, and millions of other rock fans, saw her as the principle star of Fleetwood Mac because of her hit songs “Rhiannon” and “Dreams,” she was treated as “a space cadet” or “chick singer.” She was devastated that one of her favorite songs, “Silver Springs,” had been excluded from the Rumours album, presumably to limit the amount of songwriting income she would receive.

I guess now we know the real reason Silver Springs was excluded.
How ridiculous.

Why was it even painstakingly recorded, if that's the case?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

What doesn't make sense to me is that "Leather and Lace" has a copyright of 1975, BN's freshman year in Fleetwood Mac. So, Waylon Jennings, asked a relatively unknown songwriter, Stevie Nicks, to write a song for him? I guess it's possible he knew her from Phoenix - maybe he was actually trying to give her a break...
Old 09-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
What doesn't make sense to me is that "Leather and Lace" has a copyright of 1975, BN's freshman year in Fleetwood Mac. So, Waylon Jennings, asked a relatively unknown songwriter, Stevie Nicks, to write a song for him? I guess it's possible he knew her from Phoenix - maybe he was actually trying to give her a break...
Waylon did eventually record and release it, AFTER stevie had a huge hit with it.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, I didn't realize that the rest of the story had been added to the first post. Read away guys.

Bella Donna was not a number one album!!?? OMG, get me the smelling salts.

edited to say:
Oh sh*$! All-out brawl during the making of the Stand Back video!! And Lesley Ann Warren of all people being involved! This stuff is gold.

Last edited by vermicious knid; 09-22-2008 at 01:15 AM..
Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
How ridiculous.

Why was it even painstakingly recorded, if that's the case?
I know. Of all the things the Macsters have been accused of, no one's ever said that they tried to limit each other's songwriting income.

Why I oughta . . . I'll limit your songwriting income if it's the last thing I do! [Four people furiously shake their fists at Stevie, plotting her lost revenue].

He probably got this impression from Stevie talking about donating the profits to her mother and her mother not getting them when the song was dropped.

Michele
Old 09-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

who knows what scorned love will do to people. I tend to think that it mostly defies belief that Mick, the taskmaster, would allow such nonsense to happen. So, I think they cut it for the length reasons they stated. I do think, however, that was an idiotic thing to do and anyone who hears that song likely would agree.

On a sep. issue, I do think that if LB were bitter (and he says he was to some degree) -- he may have gotten joy out os seeing La Nicks jilted. That is just part of being human.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Oh, the drama! Perfectly 'Stevie'. lol I wish it had a car chase.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A couple of days later Hornaday showed Jimmy, Paul, and me an edit, and Jimmy quickly listed half a dozen changes he expected Stevie would want. Hornaday angrily said, “Let’s see what Stevie says.” A few minutes later Stevie made her entrance into the editing bay, looked at the video, and listed exactly the same problems that Jimmy had predicted. Hornaday began arguing with her about the merits of his “vision.” Jimmy jumped up from his chair and, waving his finger at Hornaday, insisted, “There is no argument. This isn’t a movie. This is Stevie’s video. You do what Stevie wants.” Taken aback by Iovine’s hostile tone, Hornaday answered, “**** you, man,” at which point Iovine, still standing, punched him in the face, toppling Hornaday over. Hornaday was a dancer and a natural athlete, but his attempt to retaliate was blocked as we all jumped in to restrain both angry guys and Stevie, weeping, flung her body physically in between them.

Little tiny munchkin Jimmy Iovine punching Jeff Hornaday in the face. Now that would make an interesting video in and of itself.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
^^^

On a sep. issue, I do think that if LB were bitter (and he says he was to some degree) -- he may have gotten joy out os seeing La Nicks jilted. That is just part of being human.
When did he say he was bitter? Are you talking about his comments that it was sometimes hard to help her on her songs? And what do you mean "jilted" are you talking about her not getting SS on the album and having IDWTK on there as being "jilted?" Michele
Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
When did he say he was bitter? Are you talking about his comments that it was sometimes hard to help her on her songs? And what do you mean "jilted" are you talking about her not getting SS on the album and having IDWTK on there as being "jilted?" Michele
He said he had the urge not to want to help her, which is bitterness. He also said around the time of The Dance that their relationship was no longer bitter, it was bittersweet or something like that. There are many more, but, he clearly was bitter around the time Silver Springs was recorded. Anyone would be

Yes, La Nicks was jilted by FM when SS was not put in the record. I think anyone would, perhaps privately, take some satisfaction in the pain anf agony of the one who jilted them in love.

On edit - I do not think LB was jumoing for joy when SS was taken off of the record. I am just saying that privately he may have had some joy at seeing La Nicks have some pain.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 09-22-2008 at 02:49 PM..