User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Still, I imagine it was a lot easier to sing with Lindsey than Bob because Christine and Lindsey have very similar vocal timbre. When they exchange verses on songs like Don't Stop, World Turning or Think About Me it's hard to tell which one is singing sometimes.
Reminds me the first time I heard "Hold Me" on the '88 GH's, I was like "Who is this singing" Is it Christine? Is it Lindsey? There voices did mesh well together.

I suppose Lindsey and Stevie (being a duo themselves before FM) knew some stuff about harmonizing and shared/helped Christine in that area.

Last edited by MacShadowsBall; 03-26-2011 at 09:21 PM..
Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
When did she say this? This is something I don't remember reading.
I don't know which interview she said that in. But in 1995 she said this when she compared the later sound with Bob Weston and Bob Welch:

Quote:
Since I was writing and performing with different styles of music... Stevie and Lindsey had more country/western roots. The nature of the beast, singing with them in 3 part harmonies, along with Stevie and Lindsey, created some chemical reaction that, even to this day, don't know what it really is. With Bob Welch, there was not as much chemistry, it was harder work. Not that the sound was not as good, but just a different sensation altogether.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't know which interview she said that in. But in 1995 she said this when she compared the later sound with Bob Weston and Bob Welch:
I remember that quote. Just not the other stuff..
Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember that quote. Just not the other stuff..
If she didn't say it in a written interview, it might have been in the Best Buy interview. She said that before Stevie and Lindsey singing with the other person just threw her off immediately. Off key immediately, I think.

Michele
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I suppose harmonizing with Welch was "work" while with Stevie/Lindsey it was "fun."
Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If she didn't say it in a written interview, it might have been in the Best Buy interview. She said that before Stevie and Lindsey singing with the other person just threw her off immediately. Off key immediately, I think.

Michele
Yeah. Sounds like we read the same interview. She said she would keep falling out of tune. But Lindsey gave her tips on how to stay on key.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yeah. Sounds like we read the same interview. She said she would keep falling out of tune. But Lindsey gave her tips on how to stay on key.
I don't ever remember such an article... if you find it .. please post..
Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I suppose harmonizing with Welch was "work" while with Stevie/Lindsey it was "fun."
While I mean no offense(and hope that Bob doesn't read this), I don't think Bob was ever a great vocalist. And while Stevie and Lindsey certainly aren't the greatest(especially now), they did bring an "existing duet" to the table, which lent itself to Chris adding the third part, which created the FM magic.

That said, Bob, if you do read this - your incarnation(s) of FM, will always be my favorite!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
While I mean no offense(and hope that Bob doesn't read this), I don't think Bob was ever a great vocalist. And while Stevie and Lindsey certainly aren't the greatest(especially now), they did bring an "existing duet" to the table, which lent itself to Chris adding the third part, which created the FM magic.

That said, Bob, if you do read this - your incarnation(s) of FM, will always be my favorite!!!
May I just add that his harmonies w/ Christine and backing vocals had a magic of their own. As a lead singer, that wasn't always the case.. but the overall sound of his voice was very pleasing to me. .. then add Christine to any voice and you automatically get better...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't ever remember such an article... if you find it .. please post..
Gail and Mary Ann would be most likely to know where that article is. If you asked in the Christine section, they might find it.

Michele
Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's basically the same thing I said earlier...

Quote:
I suppose Lindsey and Stevie (being a duo themselves before FM) knew some stuff about harmonizing and shared/helped Christine in that area.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Gail and Mary Ann would be most likely to know where that article is. If you asked in the Christine section, they might find it.

Michele
cool thanks.. I feel like I missed a big topic.. and you know me Michele... I have tons of memory reference... lol
Old 03-31-2011, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
cool thanks.. I feel like I missed a big topic.. and you know me Michele... I have tons of memory reference... lol
Ok, I found it.

BAM, March 9, 1984
http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.ph..._v2&id=784&c=2

Quote:
Well, Mick always believed in my voice and encouraged me to write more and more, and I just got better over the years. My weak point used to be harmony singing - I just couldn't keep in tune if someone else was singing. But Lindsey and Stevie really helped me and I find it relatively easy now. I love singing with Lindsey; we get such an interesting tone together.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great article! She really goes into detail about alot of things especially the part below.

John is a classic bass player. He says everyone thinks they can play bass, cause you can pick it up and do something. But the selection of notes, and when not to play, is very important. Lead guitarists pick up basses and are busy, busy, busy. But to pick the right note to go with a kick drum is difficult. Mick was interviewed for the MTV special about the recording of my album, and he said he can't play with any other keyboard player - "Chris presents something of a problem," he said. I'm not a virtuoso, but I have a style which is rooted through the bass and drums. I leave room for the guitarists. I like that, it's solid. I don't solo much, and I don't do those twiddly bits with my right hand. I'm back there with the rhythm, part of a rich foundation. You need that foundation. If I was to take more solos, stick knives between the keys or something, I'd get more credit, but I'm just not that type of player.

This explains so much about that Fleetwood Mac "sound".
Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Great article! She really goes into detail about alot of things especially the part below.

John is a classic bass player. He says everyone thinks they can play bass, cause you can pick it up and do something. But the selection of notes, and when not to play, is very important. Lead guitarists pick up basses and are busy, busy, busy. But to pick the right note to go with a kick drum is difficult. Mick was interviewed for the MTV special about the recording of my album, and he said he can't play with any other keyboard player - "Chris presents something of a problem," he said. I'm not a virtuoso, but I have a style which is rooted through the bass and drums. I leave room for the guitarists. I like that, it's solid. I don't solo much, and I don't do those twiddly bits with my right hand. I'm back there with the rhythm, part of a rich foundation. You need that foundation. If I was to take more solos, stick knives between the keys or something, I'd get more credit, but I'm just not that type of player.

This explains so much about that Fleetwood Mac "sound".
For sure... she has a lot of self control.. and champagne..