User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Not a Beatles fan...

So, I was okay with it....and I get really tired of hearing they are "holier" than any other band out there.

I like hearing different people take on FM songs, even the crappy versions (Smashing Pumpkins, Hole and Dixie Chicks...*shudder*). Like Stevie said, "cha-ching" everytime they play it, so yay for her! I'd love for other people to redo my songs, put a new spin on it...plus, CHA-CHING!! LOL
Old 09-04-2003, 06:19 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Not a Beatles fan...

Quote:
Originally posted by trackaghost
I happen to love Devo's version of Satisfaction by the way.
I like it too. However, I think we are in the minority

Another cover I love is Dolly Parton's cover of "Stairway to Hevean" - but in my book Dolly can do no wrong.

Also, did you know that Mick Jagger actually like Brittany's cover. http://www.dotmusic.com/news/June2001/news20664.asp

Go figure!!!

Once again, it all boils down to individual taste

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just adding my 2 cents....I loved his version of Here Comes The Sun.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Me too!!

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Another cover I love is Dolly Parton's cover of "Stairway to Heaven" - but in my book Dolly can do no wrong.

Once again, it all boils down to individual taste
I love her version too!!

AMEN to individual taste too!!
Old 09-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Ledgie

this is cool that we are discussing who likes it .. but my original intent was to find someone who has a video clip of the performance.. im dyin to see how he played it and his expressions.... anyone? please
Old 09-04-2003, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Some of the fan sites that post videos take requests so maybe you can ask one of them to show the performance.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default .....

....and i like smashing pumpkins' cover of landslide. it just has a complete other feel, although the stayed very close to the original.

I used to mix them, when i was a DJ in a club. first corgan ( who was very hip early/halfway 90's, and then mac,s original, (very unhip). Al thouse grungies on the dancefloor staring at the floor slowly waving with their hair on that corgansong that suddenly became a FM-song. They didn't mention that until the end of the song.hehehehe......

AND I like Hole's Goldustwoman, too. But please don't get me started on the Dixiechicks. Emotionkilling.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:14 AM

Not sure why people are so down on the Dixie Chicks' version of Landslide. I give them credit for giving it a fresh treatment, which is nicely crafted. I like Hole's Gold Dust Woman too.

There have been a lot of bad Fleetwood Mac covers to be sure, including that Rumours anniversary disk. But there are some gems out there, including the irreverent Camper Van Beethoven's take on Tusk.

It's wonderful to see artists bring new energy and ideas into someone else's song. If I don't like it, I don't listen to it.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I normally love to hear Lindsey's elaborate finger-picking style, but in this case, I honestly think he was doing more of a show-off piece of how fancy he could play rather than structuring it as a tribute to George Harrison.

I was prepared to adore it, and I found myself cringing for him, especially at the last part.

And I certainly don't consider the Beatles God's gift to music. I do think that LB got too carried away with himself, though, and lost track of the fact he was supposed to be honoring George's talent and not his own.

And what on earth made him choose a vocal range he couldn't carry off?

The one thing I did like: the little bright strum before and during the first "Here comes the sun" of each chorus. Now THAT seemed to fit.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts

And what on earth made him choose a vocal range he couldn't carry off?
Exactly that was my point. Wasn`t that the show LB was told not to play so he was upset and threw things, guitars etc. ? If so then maybe the organizers heard him play during the rehearsals. The approach of the song was great and I don`t see a reason not to alter a song simply because it was meant to be a tribute. Then you could carry a cd player on the stage and let it play. But his singing was poor especially on the last part. I can try something during rehearsals but if it doesn`t work out then I leave it. And this truly didn`t work.
Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

Not sure why people are so down on the Dixie Chicks' version of Landslide. [/B]
Now I didn`t hate the version. It was just unnecessary. I think there are two reasons to make a coverversion of a song. Either I make it better than the original artist did. Or I change the approach completely so that it hardly is the same one. Neither did the D. chicks. The song was very similar but Stevies voice and LB`s playing is special/recognizable and the Chicks had nothing to add. They simply repeated it without spectacular changes and imo lame compared to the original.
The LB version/approach of "Here comes the sun" is so completely different that it hardly is the same song. That is a good reason to make a cover- you can compare it to "Try for the sun" or "Love minus zero". I would love to hear a studio version of HCTS or even a live version with LB singing in his vocal range. But this one really was tacky.

Last edited by stefan; 09-05-2003 at 11:45 AM..
Old 09-05-2003, 02:52 PM
trackaghost
Old 09-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I will FOREVER stand by my conviction that if you don't like the Beatles (or worse yet, NOT RESPECT their influence on EVERYTHING!) you're damned to purgatory and Hell is just too good a place for you.

After hearing Lindsey's four Rolling Stones covers (and basically how "true" to the originals they were), I actually was looking forward to "Here Comes The Sun".

Lindsey, you "let me down again". tsk, tsk, tsk.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by trackaghost
I'm always disappointed when I hear people wanting stuff to sound "just like the record" live. Listen to the record then or in this case the original.
Not really the case in here. Let's see, I truly respect covers that become quality songs on themselves, without sounding like a copy of the original. Come to think about it, even The Beatles (whose influence, musical quality, as ChiliD posted, is absolutely indisputable... even if you don't like them) did it, transforming oldies like "Twist And Shout" and making them sound in their own style, with excellent results.

I am not complaining about Lindsey changing the style of the song. He could have done it better. That guitar playing style (whatever that's called) simply was not in agreement with the lyrics and the spirit of the song, a "sunny" song as some people said, and the vocal part is completely, absolutely out of Lindsey's range. He had to horribly scream at those last notes. It was really painful, and even more coming from such a gifted guitarist and singer as him. Because his guitar playing and singing was that bad. At least to my tastes.

For the record, I didn't like Paul McCartney's version of "Something" on his last live CD, for more or less the same reason. In both cases, as a huge George Harrison fan, I can appreciate the good intentions of doing a tribute to him. But I can't be "happy" with the results. I think Eric Clapton did a terrific job singing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" at the Tribute Concert. And that was not a copy of the original either... So there you go, matter of tastes, I suppose.

Song of the moment - One Together
Old 09-05-2003, 06:57 PM
trackaghost