User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Oh, and I raise my hand...I'm a "music snob" of the Nth degree!
Great, I knew I wasn't alone! I've been accused of being a musical fascist a number of times, and these days I take it as a great compliment
Old 01-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Great, I knew I wasn't alone! I've been accused of being a musical fascist a number of times, and these days I take it as a great compliment
Depends on who you're talking to, I suppose. There's so much great stuff out there right now, although most of it is far away from the Top 40.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Depends on who you're talking to, I suppose. There's so much great stuff out there right now, although most of it is far away from the Top 40.
Probably true, but then 95% of people, me included, never find it I haven't heard anything for years that really spoke to me.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
And of course there's the feeling of playing an old album you enjoyed that you haven't listened to in years and thinking "how could I have ever liked this crap?"
And, also, there's the "full circle"...(for me it is with the 70's "Progressive Rock" genre...Yes, early Genesis, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, ELP, etc)...loved it in high school & college, then in the 80's & 90's it was the "how could I have ever liked this crap?" thing...and now, I'm starting to wade back in the shallow end of that genre's pool again.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Probably true, but then 95% of people, me included, never find it I haven't heard anything for years that really spoke to me.
It's a brave new world! You've got the entirety of the Internet at your fingertips! All it takes is a little searching if you want to find good new music.

Check out a site like Pandora.com. It's created a by a group of researchers who have been working on something called The Music Genome Project, studying and comparing/contrasting the individual elements of music. You can plug in the name of a favorite performer or song, and the site will create a personalized radio station for you, with songs that have been deemed "similar" to what you entered. Of course, you might have to wade through a lot of crap, but you never know what you might find.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
And, also, there's the "full circle"...(for me it is with the 70's "Progressive Rock" genre...Yes, early Genesis, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, ELP, etc)...
Camel? I'm currently listening to Camel, partly because of Pete Bardens' connection to Mick and Peter. I don't dislike it, just not sure it grabs me.