The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

I listened to the vinyl version of Green Manalishi on youtube and I feel like the solo at the end (behind the howling) is up in the mix more than the CD version. Anybody else notice that?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
I listened to the vinyl version of Green Manalishi on youtube and I feel like the solo at the end (behind the howling) is up in the mix more than the CD version. Anybody else notice that?
Can you provide a link to the particular YouTube clip you listened to? I recall sometimes hearing the song on the radio long ago where Green's guitar both in the middle section and at the end were noticeably higher in the mix than what I'd heard elsewhere, but I've never heard a version like that since then. I have the vinyl version of the early '70s "Greatest Hits" album and I never noticed any difference in the song on that record compared with later versions that came out on CD. Maybe the original single though?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUwcHyrhJ8I

I just feel like I can hear the guitar more clearly.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, LesPaul7. This sounds pretty much like other versions I've heard on CD and vinyl although I think I can hear what you mean about the guitar perhaps being slightly higher in the mix. I'd have to compare it directly with other recordings to be sure though.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think in general the CD version sounds tinny and distant, maybe just due to the conversion. I am still new to vinyl, so the whole warmth of sound is blowing my mind.

Before the Beginning on vinyl has to be one of Green's masterpieces, where on the '80's CD, it just sounds, well, sterile.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default before the beginning

The version of "Before The Beginning" that was on "Then Play On" is the only one I have heard that has the coda trail off in a groove simiar to Underway. I think it really increased the vibe of the song. When they performed the song live (as in "Shrine 69} they stop the song with a short arpeggio and stop. To me, the "Then Play On' version was more satisfying, even though Peter playing the solo live was magnificent and a great piece.

Regarding the vinyl mix: I bought the Rcord in the store when it was first released in the US. It is what my ears first heard and is the way I have come to remember it, just like the Beatles US releases. The problem with the early CD digital transcriptions of vinyl is that they did not properly eq the recording and the sample rate was to low. As we have progressed technologicly we are still using the original redbook standard for listening that waa established by the record companies in the 80s. People would not buy SACD and by the time DVD audio was able to be released, few people were interested in rerecording re transcribing rebuying and relistening. Young kids are used to MP3s and have established the buying choice of the masses. So it seems we have voted with our pocket books and tin ears. It seems we would rather reinvent vinyl than move on to future of recording possibilities. we can take the best of analog technology and apply it to better digital recording media. but there is a price if it is not mass produced. Most of the public does not have the extra cash to embrace the future technolgy., but there are a lot of old turntables around, as long as the records last.
PS I wish they wouuld "Do a Proper remaster of Then Play On' with the outtakes like the ones on "The Vaudville Years" The CD does a less than average job of recreating the original feel of the US release. (I think there are three or four original releases of Then Play ON anyway)

vinnie C
Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Green manalishi

My previous post should have been on another thread but the second part applies to The Green Manalishi as well. I always wondered why it was not on Then Play On. But of course at that time they recorded when they had time and material and Oh Well was a late addition after the first pressing too but somehow got jammed into the US release after the fact.

As far as the listening to the sinle version, I do hear a slightly accentuated guitar in the mix, It could well be the EQ of whomever digitized it
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Young kids are used to MP3s and have established the buying choice of the masses. So it seems we have voted with our pocket books and tin ears.
At 50 years old myself, while I appreciate the crisp sound of wav audio, these old ears are perfectly satisfied with the sound of MP3's.

PS, I appreciated your detailed post. It was an enjoyable read.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

So is there a difference between the Very Best Of version and the single?

I would like to get Manalishi and World In Harmony on vinyl.

BTW, was World In Harmony (B-Side version) ever released on CD? I have the Vaudville/Show-Biz Blues versions, but I heard this version on youtube with an almost swirling reverb or maybe a Leslie? What do you guys think that is???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMgp9D4e0nM

Last edited by LesPaul7; 11-18-2012 at 08:00 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmsu...eature=related
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
So is there a difference between the (Very) Best Of version and the single?

I would like to get Manalishi and World in Harmony on vinyl.

BTW, was World in Harmony (B-side version) ever released on CD? I have the Vaudeville/Show-Biz Blues versions, but I heard this version on YouTube with an almost swirling reverb or maybe a Leslie? What do you guys think that is???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMgp9D4e0nM
Please read my earlier message in this thread. The original version of 'World in harmony' was only released on vinyl; as the B-side of TGM and on 'The Best of Fleetwood Mac' LP (on Reprise). This last one is not very difficult to find.

I don't know whether the single version differs from the other 'original' LP of CD versions.

I am not sure about the first YouTube version you mentioned; have to compare that one to the three versions I own. It sounds very good!

GJK
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
Please read my earlier message in this thread. The original version of 'World in harmony' was only released on vinyl; as the B-side of TGM and on 'The Best of Fleetwood Mac' LP (on Reprise). This last one is not very difficult to find.

I don't know whether the single version differs from the other 'original' LP of CD versions.

I am not sure about the first YouTube version you mentioned; have to compare that one to the three versions I own. It sounds very good!

GJK
I meant quality of the pressing. The Best Of sounds good?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default sounds like tremelo to me

It does not sound like a Leslie. It sounds more like a trmelo effect. It does not sound like the one from vaudville years. I also noticed more compression on the rythym track.
I never heard the original vinyl b side release so i have no opinion in that regards. As for personal preference I think I like the one they performed at The Boston Tea Party. It had a nice bite to it.

vinnie c
Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
It does not sound like a Leslie. It sounds more like a trmelo effect. It does not sound like the one from vaudville years. I also noticed more compression on the rythym track.
I never heard the original vinyl b side release so i have no opinion in that regards. As for personal preference I think I like the one they performed at The Boston Tea Party. It had a nice bite to it.

vinnie c
It almost has an echo to it. You think that's studio work or a reverb on the amp?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default live or memorex

if i were to hazzard a guess, i would say the track was done dry and the effects were added. This was a new fad back then as they were only now getting access to multi tracking possibilities. But this also could have been an alternate take done with the effects as a choice? one would have to ask the folks who were there and if they remembered what happened. It was the sixties after all...