User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
. . . with the exception of 3 or 4 drunken cigs a year . . . .
OMG - I MUST be there for those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My smoking is still off and on. I go weeks and then I'll go out and want one. But, Lent is a comin and no booze during Lent = no cigs!!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
OMG - I MUST be there for those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My smoking is still off and on. I go weeks and then I'll go out and want one. But, Lent is a comin and no booze during Lent = no cigs!!!!!!!!
Whoa man good luck with all that!! Are you going to NO for Mardi Gras btw?
Old 02-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Whoa man good luck with all that!! Are you going to NO for Mardi Gras btw?
I have reservations and my friend and I may go. But, I really am trying to stick to my budget and that will be at least $1,000 weekend with the hotel, etc. So, I most likely am not, which is sad.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have reservations and my friend and I may go. But, I really am trying to stick to my budget and that will be at least $1,000 weekend with the hotel, etc. So, I most likely am not, which is sad.
Well, you'll be there in spirit I'm sure.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, you'll be there in spirit I'm sure.
Yep!!!!

In fact, the thing about Mardi Gras is it is all about where you stay. I have friends there who live about a mile or two outside of the downtown/Quarter area and I could stay there for free. But, going home at night in a cab (after waiting at least an hour to get one) is next to impossible because they get paid by the person (special event fare) and I am usually alone, so they do not just want my $25, when the 200 other people wanting to get a cab will be three in that same cab. So, you have to stay in a hotel, which is at least $200 a night and more like $250, which is getting off cheaply during that time.

Who knows though - I may go

Old 02-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yep!!!!

In fact, the thing about Mardi Gras is it is all about where you stay. I have friends there who live about a mile or two outside of the downtown/Quarter area and I could stay there for free. But, going home at night in a cab (after waiting at least an hour to get one) is next to impossible because they get paid by the person (special event fare) and I am usually alone, so they do not just want my $25, when the 200 other people wanting to get a cab will be three in that same cab. So, you have to stay in a hotel, which is at least $200 a night and more like $250, which is getting off cheaply during that time.

Who knows though - I may go
You only live once right? I would go again just to have another beneigt(SP?)
Old 02-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Whoo hoo! Good for you sweetie! I quit 14 years and 4 months ago and let me assure you...it gets LOTS better. I don't miss it AT ALL!!!! (14 years???? Damn, I'm OLD!)

Kelly
Old 02-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindaMother
Whoo hoo! Good for you sweetie! I quit 14 years and 4 months ago and let me assure you...it gets LOTS better. I don't miss it AT ALL!!!! (14 years???? Damn, I'm OLD!)

Kelly
Well, I'm 34, almost 35....
Old 02-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC

I wish I could adequately express how foreign exercise is to me. My husband, step-son and I went on a very brisk 30 minute walk the other night, and it *did* feel good. Plus, I got three extra WW points to use (which I didn't, thank you very much). I'm really looking forward to the day when it (exercise) becomes fun for me. Or when those endorphins kick in, and I actually crave the exercise. That may happen, right? I will say that even though my legs and butt were killing me from the walk, I was *not* winded- yay!

Oh Amber, you are so precious. $5-$10/week? Try $21 a week. One pack a day at $3/pack. EVERY DAY. For now, I'm spending part of it on Weight Watchers ($10 a week). I just can't even believe I have spent so much money on cigarettes in my lifetime. The husband and I are trying to plan for a little trip for ourselves. We never took a honeymoon (when we married 5 years ago) so we're thinking somewhere tropical.

Thank you to EVERYONE who offered support and congratulations- I really, REALLY appreciate it .
You're off to a great start with the exercise. You absolutely will feel better if you exercise, and it's the key to keeping weight off, of course. It will probably also help to heal/clear out your lungs faster. Don't forget to stretch, it will make you less sore and more likely to exercise. You know what is (I think) easier than cardio that you can add? Weight bearing exercises. You can buy little dumbells, or not - situps, pushups, calf raises, squats, leg lifts, etc. - they're free, great for you, and pretty simple. I do mine while watching TV.

Sorry! I used to smoke 1-3 packs a week, American Spirits (they last a long time) and they are $5 a pack here. I usually only smoked three packs if I drank a lot. So I usually smoked 3 packs. JK, it was usually 2. That is very cool that you and husband are planning trip.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I'm 34, almost 35....
Well, I'm 39 and in May I'll be.... gulp

Kelly
Old 02-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Aren't you sort of obligated to spend some money in NOLA to help them get some dollars there? Not that I'm pushing you into debauchery or encouraging it in any way.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Now the part where I kind of talk about myself. hee.
I quit December 6th, so I guess that's about 8 weeks. I didn't gain weight, I was actually less hungry after I quit smoking. But I already had weight to lose. I've lost about five lbs. The thing I looked forward to the most about quitting smoking was being able to exercise more. Right around the time I quit, my right leg got a severe pain thing in my hip/butt joint. I still have it. So I cut the hill thing to only once or twice a week, instead doing yoga and extra sets of "weights" at home (sit ups, push ups, calf ups, butt ups) - but that's not as cardiovascular or as fun as hiking. So that's been a bit disappointing, but not too bad - I realized if I hit the ibuprofen pretty hard, the hike is no prob. My eating is healthier, but I haven't made any drastic calorie reductions. I've been keeping track of my calories every day, and am sometimes able to keep it around 1400 (ideal), but more often it's 1500-1900. I try to do the trade in exercise since that is easier for me than dieting. I have cut my meat to almost none and added vegetable and nut servings, and I'm proud of that.

It is weird to think of yourself differently, isn't it? I've been making a point of consciously thinking of myself as the new type of person. You know, instead of being slacker-girl-who-likes-to drink-and-smoke (but still exercise)-and-is-poor in my head, I'm girl-with-goals-who-can-accomplish-things-and-be-fit-and-healthy.
Oh, and I've only drank 3 times since then as well. I've had cigarette those times, too - there was no subsequent backsliding.

I'm so very proud of you, quitting after 20 years is amazing. I only smoked 10, and in some ways didn't totally think of myself as a smoker.
Oh, have you been setting aside like 5-10 bucks a week? You know, the amount you spent on cigarettes? I totally wanted to do that but am way too poor. I think it would be cool, though - you'd have an extra 5-800 dollars a year to treat yourself.

gah, blah blah! gotta go - I'm starting my stupid internship that I have to complete for school today - 10 hours per week volunteering at earthjustice. It's cool, but now I have a whole extra job that I don't get paid for, and I have to wake up two hours earlier almost every day of the week. At least it's at earthjustice. I would have felt bad about working there if I still smoked. and it's also an extra 40 blocks to ride my bike every day, so that's good. I guess.
That's cool you'll be at Earthjustice.

I wish I had your will when it comes to exercise. I HATE it. Especially cardio. I really want to stop eating meat, too; and that's also hard for me. Any tips?
Old 02-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Oh, and I've only drank 3 times since then as well. I've had cigarette those times, too - there was no subsequent backsliding.
Ummm, this is what i would have a hard time quitting. Not that I'm a lush or anything, but I do drink more than once a week that's for sure, and beer is my weakness, especially the dark ales .
Old 02-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Aren't you sort of obligated to spend some money in NOLA to help them get some dollars there? Not that I'm pushing you into debauchery or encouraging it in any way.
Yes, I am!!!!!!!

Oh Well, maybe I can dance on a bar in my underwear (or Speedo) and earn some cash!!!!

Old 02-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I am!!!!!!!

Oh Well, maybe I can dance on a bar in my underwear (or Speedo) and earn some cash!!!!
Honey, I am sure you have many talents that can earn you some cash! Just remember, your hedonism is really altruism.