The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Who is your Favorite Female International Singer?
Roision Murphy 4 18.18%
Sophie Ellis-Bextor 2 9.09%
Estelle 1 4.55%
Kelis 1 4.55%
Anastacia 2 9.09%
Kylie Minogue 8 36.36%
Jamelia 0 0%
Shakira 6 27.27%
Duffy 6 27.27%
Adele 7 31.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Ah, her "I'm a serious artist" album- which also happened to happily coincide with those SAW douchebags going out of favor. Derrrp!

Fact remains she hasn't had a single chart hit that hasn't leaned (or completely relied) on producers/writers/her own celebrity. She's cute, she dresses well/is campy enough for her audience= CAREER
Luke, I don’t mind you calling out GaGa, HA, but Kylie is another story. She was a puppet in her early days, she admits this but, she is a great example of an artist coming into her own over time. There are artists that first come out as the “serious artist” type too soon, while others never seem to really get there and eventually fade into oblivion. Kylie however has lasted and has been around almost as long as Madonna (1983), Kylie (1987). When Rufus Wainwright came out with his top 10 diva icons, I think he summed up Kylie perfectly saying ….

Kylie Minogue I love Kylie, she's the anti-Madonna. Self-knowledge is a truly beautiful thing and Kylie knows herself inside out. She is what she is and there is no attempt to make quasi-intellectual statements to substantiate it. She is the gay shorthand for joy.”
Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ah, her "I'm a serious artist" album- which also happened to happily coincide with those SAW douchebags going out of favor. Derrrp!

Fact remains she hasn't had a single chart hit that hasn't leaned (or completely relied) on producers/writers/her own celebrity. She's cute, she dresses well/is campy enough for her audience= CAREER
Luke - do you follow her career at all? If so then you will know that the 1994 album was not the album you describe. To use your slating "I'm a serious artist" category then that would be 1998's Impossible Princess (released as Kylie Minogue in the UK for a silly reason). She wrote all the lyrics and co-wrote a lot of the music, including one track she did entirely on her own While that may not sound like an achievement in itself, in the context of your sweeping statements, it is.

This album is also one of her most internationally successful, with the singles from it being far more successful than some of those from her last 2 albums. This also questions your sweeping "theory" about not having a single chart hit that doesn; rely on... Also, name me one performer who has hada long career who doesn;t rely on their own image? Of course they do. Of course that may be an image of singer-songwriter worthiness, but it is an image of celebrity nonetheless.

Last edited by Dodfather; 05-25-2010 at 08:07 AM..
Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

DUFFY

Now if only Melody Gardot and Shelby Lynne
were on that list (not that Shelby's an international
singer).

Go Go Duffy.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only one I really know more than one song from is Kylie, and I don't even listen to her really but she got my vote.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Also, name me one performer who has hada long career who doesn;t rely on their own image? Of course they do. Of course that may be an image of singer-songwriter worthiness, but it is an image of celebrity nonetheless.
Just one? How about, say, Steve Winwood? You can't be much more successful while artistically varied and relatively inconspicuous/un-photogenic than the career arc of teenage "Little Stevie Winwood" & the Spencer Davis Group/Blind Faith/Traffic/early 80's synth laden art rock/late 80's mainstream solo/critically acclaimed Adult-Alternative artist. What's Winwood's "image"?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Luke, I don’t mind you calling out GaGa, HA, but Kylie is another story. She was a puppet in her early days, she admits this but, she is a great example of an artist coming into her own over time. There are artists that first come out as the “serious artist” type too soon, while others never seem to really get there and eventually fade into oblivion. Kylie however has lasted and has been around almost as long as Madonna (1983), Kylie (1987). When Rufus Wainwright came out with his top 10 diva icons, I think he summed up Kylie perfectly saying ….

Kylie Minogue I love Kylie, she's the anti-Madonna. Self-knowledge is a truly beautiful thing and Kylie knows herself inside out. She is what she is and there is no attempt to make quasi-intellectual statements to substantiate it. She is the gay shorthand for joy.”
All great points, Travis. I was pretty much mainly referring to her commercial success- particularly in the United States, where she doesn't have the benefit of being a household name.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Surprised Amy Winehouse wasn't on the list- but I voted for Adele!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well Kylie is the best on this poll (I love her for working with Pet Shop Boys and Green Gartside(!)), but the poll is also skewed in her favor.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just one? How about, say, Steve Winwood? You can't be much more successful while artistically varied and relatively inconspicuous/un-photogenic than the career arc of teenage "Little Stevie Winwood" & the Spencer Davis Group/Blind Faith/Traffic/early 80's synth laden art rock/late 80's mainstream solo/critically acclaimed Adult-Alternative artist. What's Winwood's "image"?
My point is that everyone has an image. An image of diversity like the one you describe is an image nonetheless - who said an image had to be fixed? They can evolve and change over time.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like a german singer called,Tina Rainford,she had a hit back in 1977 with the song " Silver Bird". on the Country charts here in the states.

Also if I include Bonnie Tyler,she has a awesome voice,when "Its a Heartache" came out in 1978,I had to find out who she was.Also Total Eclipse Of The Heart in 1983 was another favorite,As all of you probably notice the mistakes on the web about Stevie getting credit for singing Total Eclipse Of The Heart in which she does not.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 05-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Ledgie

My vote would go for Kate Bush if she was on the poll.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Reach View Post
My vote would go for Kate Bush if she was on the poll.
Oh, she so should be...
Old 05-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll be honest, I didn't know anyone except for Shakira, and since I had liked the song Hips Don't Lie, I voted for her.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 05-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never heard of any of them. Is this a joke?