I'm partial to the Lego style myself.
But your head is moveable, I hope.

- Jake
Old 08-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Art Deco.
This & Asian were my mom's favorites when I was little. I think I knew what Art Deco was before I was seven.

- Jake
Old 08-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
Nothing like european castles.. I adore them. That's why I love England country. Leeds, Windsor, Blenheim, it's wonderful!! And towns like Cambridge or Stratford upon Avon..

About churches, Sevilla Cathedral, Vatican of course, Koln cathedral, and Cusco and Lima Cathedral!!!

And mosques and muslim architecture: Taj Mahal, Cairo mosques.

And the Royal Thai palace in Bangkok.

As you can see mopder architecture does not turn me on.
I haven't been to England yet but when I was little I wanted to live in a big old Tudor house.
We'll have to plan a Ledgie excursion out there. Maybe if the Mac ever goes back. Christy, if you pay for me, I'll let you put my flights on your frequent flyer mileage.

- Jake
Old 08-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti
I like a few different styles, but my favorite is art deco.
And what else?

- Jake
Old 08-02-2004, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Art Deco.
Dang it, I was going to amend mine to say Art Deco as well. But then I'd have to agree with you, and we can't have that!

So I'll go with Manuelino style. (And I'm not making that up).
Old 08-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Dang it, I was going to amend mine to say Art Deco as well. But then I'd have to agree with you, and we can't have that!

Wow, a sign of the Apocolypse, right?

What does Manuelino look like? I don't think I recognize it.

- Jake
Old 08-02-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
Wow, a sign of the Apocolypse, right?

What does Manuelino look like? I don't think I recognize it.

- Jake
I'd post a picture, but I am ashamed to admit I've never bothered to learn how to do that. Here's a description from Frommer's:

The style known as Manueline or Manuelino is unique to Portugal. It predominated between 1490 and 1520, and remains one of the most memorable art forms to have emerged from the country. It's named for Manuel I, who reigned from 1495 to 1521. When Dom Manuel I inaugurated the style, Manueline architecture was shockingly modern, a farsighted departure from the rigidity of medieval models. It originally decorated portals, porches, and interiors, mostly adorning old rather than new structures. The style marked a transition from the gothic to the Renaissance in Portugal.

Old-timers claim that Manuelino, also called Atlantic Gothic, derived from the sea, although some modern-day observers detect a surrealism that foreshadowed Salvador DalĂ*'s style. Everything about Manueline art is a celebration of seafaring ways. In Manuelino works, Christian iconography combines with shells, ropes, branches of coral, heraldic coats of arms, religious symbols, and imaginative waterborne shapes, as well as with Moorish themes.

Many monuments throughout the country -- notably the Monastery of Jerónimos in Belém, outside Lisbon -- offer examples of this style. Others are in the Azores and Madeira. Sometimes Manuelino is combined with the famous tile panels, as in Sintra's National Palace. The first Manueline building in Portugal was the classic Church of Jesus at Setúbal, south of Lisbon. Large pillars in the interior twist in spirals to support a flamboyant ribbed ceiling.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd post a picture, but I am ashamed to admit I've never bothered to learn how to do that. Here's a description from Frommer's:

The style known as Manueline or Manuelino is unique to Portugal. It predominated between 1490 and 1520, and remains one of the most memorable art forms to have emerged from the country. It's named for Manuel I, who reigned from 1495 to 1521. When Dom Manuel I inaugurated the style, Manueline architecture was shockingly modern, a farsighted departure from the rigidity of medieval models. It originally decorated portals, porches, and interiors, mostly adorning old rather than new structures. The style marked a transition from the gothic to the Renaissance in Portugal.

Old-timers claim that Manuelino, also called Atlantic Gothic, derived from the sea, although some modern-day observers detect a surrealism that foreshadowed Salvador DalĂ*'s style. Everything about Manueline art is a celebration of seafaring ways. In Manuelino works, Christian iconography combines with shells, ropes, branches of coral, heraldic coats of arms, religious symbols, and imaginative waterborne shapes, as well as with Moorish themes.

Many monuments throughout the country -- notably the Monastery of Jerónimos in Belém, outside Lisbon -- offer examples of this style. Others are in the Azores and Madeira. Sometimes Manuelino is combined with the famous tile panels, as in Sintra's National Palace. The first Manueline building in Portugal was the classic Church of Jesus at Setúbal, south of Lisbon. Large pillars in the interior twist in spirals to support a flamboyant ribbed ceiling.
Thanks. Portugal looks beautiful in pictures, so I'm guessing I'd like this one.

- Jake
Old 08-02-2004, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Portugal looks beautiful in pictures, so I'm guessing I'd like this one.

- Jake
Jake, here's a link. This is the flagship, if you will, of buildings built in this style:

http://www.mosteirojeronimos.pt/index_mosteiro.html
Old 08-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

What took you so long?
Old 08-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And what else?

- Jake
I have pretty ecletic tastes, so I also like southwest architecture, Tudor style homes, SOME modern styles and throw in a bit of Asian, too.

"Don't f*&k with anyone's dog and don't ever date a musician."
Old 08-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My favorite...

style of architecture is Art Deco/Neo-Classical and my fave architect was Frank Lloyd Wright...

Btw, I took Drafting/CAD for 8+ years in school so I was introduced to alot of different styles of architecture and I found Mr.Wright's work to be my personal favorite.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 08-02-2004 at 02:35 PM..
Old 08-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Jake, here's a link. This is the flagship, if you will, of buildings built in this style:

http://www.mosteirojeronimos.pt/index_mosteiro.html
Thanks. Gets a lot of sun inside, it seems.

- Jake
Old 08-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti
I have pretty ecletic tastes, so I also like southwest architecture, Tudor style homes, SOME modern styles and throw in a bit of Asian, too.
You cannot go into a store here without seeing SW style somewhere, which is not one I love. Target has aisle after aisle of SW furnishings. Like I said, I'll take the Tudor.

- Jake
Old 08-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
style of architecture is Art Deco/Neo-Classical and my fave architect was Frank Lloyd Wright...

Btw, I took Drafting/CAD for 8+ years in school so I was introduced to alot of different styles of architecture and I found Mr.Wright's work to be my personal favorite.
I visited his Unitarian church in Oak Park, IL, & my former synagogue down here was modeled after his style in the '40s. My parents & some of my friends have been to the house in PA with the stream/waterfall (I forget which) running through it. Cool idea.

- Jake